Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th June 2013, 21:13   #1
simon hubbard
Avid contributor

Rover Vitesse Coupe

Default Witter detachable towbar

Just bought a Witter detachable towbar for our Tourer. I have fitted a towbar and both electric plugs to my 800 - although these Rover 800 specific items. The towbar for the 75 has a universal wiring kit, hopefully it will not be too difficult to fit!
simon hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 21:22   #2
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

I've just had one of those fitted to mine yesterday. Unfortunately, when I've tested the electrics today they aren't working properly!

Holden HSV GTS 5.7 V8. Turboed and Nos
'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Never mind the power, feel the torque!
438brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 22:33   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I have a Witter detachable on my 75 and fitting was fairly straight forward.

There's plenty of topics on here to help with the wiring which I found very useful.
One thing I miss though with aftermarket wiring kits the caravan flasher warning on the dash doesn't work and because of the well insulated body you can just make out the audible warning.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 22:37   #4
eurorover
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

As long as you use the bypass relay for the wiring you will be fine that was not needed on the old 800
eurorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 07:22   #5
simon hubbard
Avid contributor

Rover Vitesse Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurorover View Post
As long as you use the bypass relay for the wiring you will be fine that was not needed on the old 800
Yes I have ordered one of these as well
simon hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013, 13:34   #6
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
I have a Witter detachable on my 75 and fitting was fairly straight forward.

There's plenty of topics on here to help with the wiring which I found very useful.
One thing I miss though with aftermarket wiring kits the caravan flasher warning on the dash doesn't work and because of the well insulated body you can just make out the audible warning.
I had the same problem, and ended up fitting an additional warning beeper for the indicators - mounted it under the rear parcel shelf, wired into the existing relay, and can now hear it at 55mph with the radio on.

I can't find the actual thread, but cdtman put me onto the buzzer, and kindly supplied the wiring detsails - it works absolutely fine

The same item isn't listed now, but this:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...item35be3e3b7b will do the same job.
Here's the detail for wiring, courtesy of cdtman:-
" It comes with 5 wires attached, orange, yellow, black, green & gray, at first I fitted it at the side of my relay in the left hand side of the boot (behind the cover) it made it a bit louder but not much, so I extended the wires (about 2ft) soldered them used shrink-tube, If you look upwards in the boot on the left (at the back) you can see a wiring loom going upwards into the parcel shelf via a rubber grommet, I pulled out the rubber grommet with cable attached, and split the rubber grommet to the middle, The buzzer then fit's nicely upwards into the parcel shelf foam and into the grommet and using cable clips/tape etc, run it down (with the extended wires already soldered and taped) and couple it to the corresponding wires The wiring is as follows-- The black wire from the buzzer is Earth (thats the easy bit) Orange wire goes to the vehicles own L/H indicator wire (if your relays like mine you just to need to unscrew the wire from the side of relay) which says L/H flasher And connect it to there, the same with the Gray wire on the relay for the R/H indicator. now with the other 2 wires from the buzzer, yellow goes to the wire which you have just uncoupled (yellow) from the side of relay which goes to the trailer socket 12n to Pin 1 (L/H ind ) and likewise with the Green wire (R/H) which goes to the trailer socket 12n (pin 4 ) hope this is not to confusing"

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote