Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2018, 04:56   #21
catakate

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Yours is the very first report (that I've ready anyway) of this effect. As noted, your warning should be taken on board by diesel owners with in-line stats. On the other hand, it may never happen again.

TC
Just to make sure my words don't come across the wrong way, that is exactly what I said in the problem report above. The fact is, I have no idea how hot the engine was at the time I first seen the gauge up around 10:30 o'clock. I was driving up steep hills covered in snow, summer would have been a completely different story. Later, when at 110C, the needle was nowhere near that high.

I consider myself very lucky to have a running engine after that and would very much appreciate a warning that could save lots of money in engine work. I would rather take preventative measures knowing it MIGHT never happen then waiting too see if disaster strikes.
catakate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:33   #22
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catakate View Post
- - - would very much appreciate a warning that could save lots of money in engine work.
You could fit a proper temperature gauge.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:02   #23
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Better still replace the original 'stat when it fails instead of going down the inline bodge route.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:38   #24
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Well, I can recall another thread about this topic of fitting an in line stat while leaving the original in place..I always wondered at the wisdom but, members were raving about how their cars were warming up much faster..it would appear now that leaving the old stat in place is a ticking time bomb..

I'm no expert but logically why leave the old stat in? and if you are going to remove it simply replace it, it is a bit awkward to do though not as awkward as a boiled motor on the side of the road..KIS springs to mind

IMO and please don't take this the wrong way, sometimes members with problems are lead to the complex solution when very often it's the simple that stops a car running well.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:52   #25
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

I reckon it's far too early to condemn the in-line system because of a single failure of the original stat still in place. There must now be hundreds, maybe more, of diesels running around quite happily with the in-line mod. Of course if several reports like this start coming up, then things will look different.

Bear in mind, there have been at least two, maybe three reports of the latest OEM type stat ('the version 3') failing in a manner similar to the 'version 2'. Mike's still runs happily with the oldest version 1, I believe. (??)

TC
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:55   #26
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Sadly not TC. Replaced mine along with the last water pump change.

Only because I was in there though, it was still working fine at the time.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:25   #27
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
I reckon it's far too early to condemn the in-line system because of a single failure of the original stat still in place. There must now be hundreds, maybe more, of diesels running around quite happily with the in-line mod. Of course if several reports like this start coming up, then things will look different.

Bear in mind, there have been at least two, maybe three reports of the latest OEM type stat ('the version 3') failing in a manner similar to the 'version 2'. Mike's still runs happily with the oldest version 1, I believe. (??)

TC
TC I agree that it is too early to say that the inline mod in and of itself will cause problems. However, If the inline thermostat fails then that is a problem with the thermostat and not the mod. Splitting hairs I hear people cry but I don't think it is. Taking the inline mod is just a slightly increased risk but isn't that the case with all mods?

I'm very interested to know about the mk3 failings. Do you know time periods, where they were purchased from etc?

I only ask as I'm about to reluctantly fit my thermostat ( that has been sitting in a drawer for about 6 months because I just couldn't face installing it) and I'm looking for an excuse to put it off for a bit longer!
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:19   #28
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
I'm very interested to know about the mk3 failings. Do you know time periods, where they were purchased from etc?
Here's some notes I made:

30 December 2014 - Version 3 Appears
DGMRS announces introduction of a new version of the OEM pattern thermostat to replace the Version 2 type which causes the cool running problem.
The new stat is manufactured 'by a thermostat producer using well tested materials and techniques'. It 'will not suffer the early opening problem' of the previous version.
It appears to be identical (same LR image used for DMGRS advert) to the one generally sold for the Freelander diesel by LR outlets.

Freelanders ARE susceptible to the same issue as the MGR Mk2 stat. This info confirmed by 'Lovel' on 2 Jan 2015 who's had two with this problem.
I found this on Landy Forum (dated 2012):
Like several others here and on the MG forums (those that have Td4s in their vehicles), I've been suffering a lazy thermostat recently. This was really brought to light this week when the temperature dropped and I had virtually no hot air, and the temperature gauge hardly got up to 1/4.

The Version 3 will be stamped with 'D' apparently.
Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

This thread is all I've managed to locate discussing both OEM replacement (and a subsequent failure) along with the in-line mod. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...eply&p=1808708

The instances of version 3 failure are almost impossible to recover due to the way the search system now works (or doesn't work).

Quote:
I only ask as I'm about to reluctantly fit my thermostat ( that has been sitting in a drawer for about 6 months because I just couldn't face installing it) and I'm looking for an excuse to put it off for a bit longer!
Is that a version 2 OEM or a version 3? though I think it's likely irrelevant anyway. But trying to find out will give you a good excuse to leave it be.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 23rd January 2018 at 16:32..
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:36   #29
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:

Is that a version 2 OEM or a version 3? though I think it's likely irrelevant anyway.

TC
To be honest Ive no idea. Its a Chinese sourced. Problem is all the photos from all the suppliers are all the same. So I'm assuming there is one manufacturer out there supplying a whole lot of suppliers.

It will either work or it won't I suppose. I guess I'll just have to plumb it in and see.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:37   #30
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Why not do the work and remove the original thermostat, then install the inline 92 degree thermostat? In the future replacement will be easier.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote