Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2017, 18:05   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catakate View Post
clf,

Never had the time to check the temp prior to removing the in-line thermostat, it was too high for the lenght of my journey, I pulled it out as fast as I could.

Without the heater on max temp and speed, the engine just keeps getting hotter, I turned the heater on at 100 degrees, obviously something wrong somewhere.. Although a bit better at the moment, as per the update above, still can't find a speed to keep the engine happy and under 105 C.

No signs of life from the fan so far, unfortunately. I can only hope for the pipes tu unclog themself or I have another thousand miles to crawl from one carpark to the next
to check the fan works, turn on the windscreen demist option on the heater (assuming you have climate control/air con).

I was curious to the temp prior to fitting the inline stat rather than removing it (this will determine the condition of the original stat). With the temps you describe however, there is nothing that suggests anything scary though. They do seem strange though, but it could just be a failed sender (unlikely) or a plastic bag blown up onto the the grill. Although if it went beyond 105 I would become concerned, and would be happy at it running at between 85-92 degrees.

When you describe the gauge given you a heart attack, what happened? Did the red light come on? Did it reach the red, or quickly rise suddenly?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 19th December 2017 at 18:09..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 18:19   #12
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

The original stats can start working again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 19:41   #13
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
I've been looking at the diagrams of the cooling system but can't tell for sure so here is the question: the original thermostat is blocking the coolant comming back from the radiator through the bottom hose, or have I got it completely wrong?
Correct. I believe it's also responsible for directing warm coolant to the cabin heater as well.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2017, 19:46   #14
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Have you tested the temp probe for a fault??

Also I used to run mine with an in line stat at 92 and it ran like a dream...
Old 21st January 2018, 03:50   #15
catakate

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Solved - Original thermostat critical failure

Boy, getting to that thermostat is such a pita.

Many thanks to all of you guys for taking the time and sharing your thoughts.

The culprit was the original thermostat. Found intact, no structural damage, nice and shiny, almost like new, but irresponsive to temperature. Haven't had the time to trace the part number yet but chances are it's the original part.

So, after opening early for God knows how long, it gave up disabling the cooling system. It might be a one off but it might just as well be a disaster waiting to happen on all CDTs out there.

Bare in mind that the temperature gauge is useless, it's there only for esthetical reasons. The slightest move of the needle above horizontal should be treated as a serious warning but your engine might already be running too hot.

I was lucky it happened to me in below freezing temperatures. The outcome could have been completely different in anything above 20C.

My advice: take the damn thing off, now!

Happy motoring to us all
catakate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 08:39   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
The culprit was the original thermostat. - - - So, after opening early for God knows how long, it gave up disabling the cooling system. It might be a one off but it might just as well be a disaster waiting to happen on all CDTs out there.
An interesting development on the diesel thermostat story. We know how the wax in these ('Type 2') stats changes over the years to cause premature opening. When fully open, the wax has nowhere else to expand, but there's normally enough resillience in the rubber capsule to cope with potential overheat. However, if the wax continues to decompose, one wonders whether it reaches a situation where the stat's fully open before the maximum running temperature (the in-line one controlling this) is reached? This will create a hydraulic lock and a pressure increase within the capsule. This pressure will become irresistible if the temperature continues to rise. The rubber will give way at the seal around the piston and the wax will be expelled into the coolant. From that point on, the stat will assume the usual failed shut condition. That causes loss of flow and overheating. The lack of response from the failed stat when tested indicates loss of wax.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 21st January 2018 at 08:41..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 08:53   #17
catakate

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The rubber will give way at the seal around the piston and the wax will be expelled into the coolant. From that point on, the stat will assume the usual failed shut condition.

TC
Should that seal be round the thin shaft pointing into the case? None left on mine, found a little blob of something that looked more like gasket silicone, black. If that is all that keeps the wax inside, your theory in proven.
Old 21st January 2018, 09:21   #18
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Should that seal be round the thin shaft pointing into the case?
Exactly so.
If you're interested in the details and got a couple of hours free, there's a thesis on the whole thing here: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=102943

Quote:
None left on mine, found a little blob of something that looked more like gasket silicone, black. If that is all that keeps the wax inside, your theory in proven.
Seems so. That is until a better theory comes along.

EDIT: It also suggests your warning about potential trouble ahead for in-line stat engines is worth bearing in mind. It seems the saga hasn't ended yet.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 21st January 2018 at 09:27..
Old 21st January 2018, 09:45   #19
catakate

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It also suggests your warning about potential trouble ahead for in-line stat engines is worth bearing in mind. It seems the saga hasn't ended yet.

TC
I would have liked to find this warning next to the one about the plenum drains. Would be a lot easier to do the job in a garage while the maintenance work is done and could have a trouble free trip across the continent.
Old 21st January 2018, 12:03   #20
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
I would have liked to find this warning next to the one about the plenum drains.
Yours is the very first report (that I've ready anyway) of this effect. As noted, your warning should be taken on board by diesel owners with in-line stats. On the other hand, it may never happen again.

TC