Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th August 2016, 16:58   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
How does that no water coolant (made by Evans USA (?) work out?
Lots of discussions to read: https://cse.google.co.uk/cse?hl=en&c...less%20coolant

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 19:08   #12
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Is the 'elastomer' type sealing system unique to the K-series gasket or do other car makers us the same idea? I wonder, because almost all the mass market cars these days specify an OAT or HOAT type antifreeze. I wonder what the likes of Aston Martin and Bentley specify? Obviously, these marques aren't affected by incentives like reducing servicing costs or by a fleet user situation? Think I'll check it out for interest.

TC
I don't recall seeing any other manufacturer use an elastomer type gasket other than MGR

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 10:57   #13
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Is the 'elastomer' type sealing system unique to the K-series gasket or do other car makers us the same idea? I wonder, because almost all the mass market cars these days specify an OAT or HOAT type antifreeze. I wonder what the likes of Aston Martin and Bentley specify? Obviously, these marques aren't affected by incentives like reducing servicing costs or by a fleet user situation? Think I'll check it out for interest.
The interesting answer is both marques use OAT. The Bentley Continental (6.8litre) came with OAT in 1986 and used that till 1991, when it had the green formula. This inorganic acid type (IAT - silicate/phosphate) continued till 2003 when it went back to red. The Aston Martin formula has been OAT throughout the engine range from about 2000. The earlier models were specified with green.

Apparently, OAT first appeared in the 75/ZT models in 2000, which is significantly later than the period when K16 HGF was virtually defacto. According to man in the car, who seems to be well informed about MGR matters, HGF rates didn't change when OAT came into the picture. The analysis of failures indicated thermal effects on metal/rubber bonding are more relevant than chemical degradation of the elastomer itself. Certainly there are other 'elastomer' gaskets found in other engines containing OAT/HOAT antifreeze, but not so obviously subject to the same question. And it's well known that 'OAT' today has a significantly diffrent spec from the early formulas. My own perception is that these engines simply need looking after more than most. Overheating is deadly to the K16 for sure, so whether you use OAT or prefer a different type, routine fluid checks and leak prevention are paramount. Bottom line, these engines aren't really suited to today's average car owner.

TC
Old 13th August 2016, 15:46   #14
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

To add to the above, OAT wasn't introduced until the later k derivatives but the earlier models didn't have plastic inlet manifolds. I don't ever remember head gaskets being a big issue when the K series was launched in 89 when the alloy manifolds and non oat was used

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 16:02   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

I referenced Man in the Car's comments about the historic findings. He suggests that the IMG figured quite large in the early days. See Post 7 here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/mg-zr-rov...gasket-650025/

But it is all very confusing for anyone not into the technicalities of antifreeze. Other than in MGR engines, OAT is apparently inoccuous. It's difficult quite to rationalise.

TC