Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2013, 19:54   #1
Grahame Rob
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTI

Default Need to format HDD but dvd drive not working

I need to format my hard drive but my dvd drives not working (part of the reason format is needed). The drive is showing up in my computer but it wont recognise any disc thats in it so I cant "boot from disc". Would it be possible to copy my Windows disc to a usb flash drive and format the hard drive from the flash drive?

Grahame
Old 7th November 2013, 20:00   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

If the drive is showing OK in 'My computer' then it's more likely to be a hardware error. Re-formatting your hard drive will not help. First thing though is : have you tried a dvd cleaning disk yet? Have you tried another dvd drive? (they're pretty cheap). The other thing you can do is go to device management and uninstall the dvd drive & delete the drivers; then scan for hardware changes. The dvd drive should be detected and re-installed.

However my money is on a dirty or malfunctioning dvd drive.

Installing Windows from a usb drive I haven't heard of before.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 20:17   #3
Grahame Rob
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTI

I have set the bios to boot from dvd but when I restart the comp it just boots from hdd. The dvd is a sata type and I have a spare but thats Ide so I have no idea how to connect the the spare dvd
Old 7th November 2013, 22:17   #4
tareim
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT+ 160 v6

yes it's possible to install windows from a USB, its the only way I will do it nowadays because USB is faster than CD/DVD.

I use http://wintoflash.com/home/en/ it is fairly staight forwards, asks you for the location of the install files and then the location of the USB drive, set it off and in a few mins your ready to go
tareim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 22:20   #5
persuer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI

Have you been into the bios and changed the boot order to cd/dvd 1st? (yes you have you must have put that on when i was researching this lol)

If you are looking at installing windows from USB look at this tutorial

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Last edited by persuer; 7th November 2013 at 22:24..
persuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 13:15   #6
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Related maybe? - I have an Asus laptop that will write to CD/DVD disc, but not read any other CD/DVD from the drive, all reports state the drive is working correctly, and if I plug another CD Drive into a USB port, I can read/write as normal on the portable drive.

With so many notebooks/netbooks about today with no CD etc., the USB drive is almost a necessity to install anything, so that's what I do with the Asus having spent several fruitless hours in the past trying to fix it.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 16:32   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
Related maybe? - I have an Asus laptop that will write to CD/DVD disc, but not read any other CD/DVD from the drive, all reports state the drive is working correctly, and if I plug another CD Drive into a USB port, I can read/write as normal on the portable drive.

With so many notebooks/netbooks about today with no CD etc., the USB drive is almost a necessity to install anything, so that's what I do with the Asus having spent several fruitless hours in the past trying to fix it.
Hi Chips, I am not sure if I should have started another thread or if this is linked to Grahame's post. I am looking to wipe the personal files securely from an Asus EE laptop whilst preserving the Windows XP OS.

We are donating the laptop along with its external DVD/CD drive and wish to wipe the files clean to prevent them from being restored, to protect us against identity theft. I posted this up on the community forum where a couple of the guys talked about over writing to securely erase the files with a string of zero's. The laptop did not come with XP and so we had to buy the disc separately 3 years ago.

From your experience in owning a similar laptop, would you happen to know how the documents, photos and other private files can be safely removed without damaging the system files or OS? What do you think? Many thanks for looking at this. All of the private files have already been backed up via USB flash drive. I am out of the UK and do not have access to a programme I have used in the past called 'Evidence Eliminator'.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 18:16   #8
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Hi Gate Keeper depends if system is configured as FAT32 or NTFS, if NTFS Command line available as part of the system called S Delete or secure delete, details from Microsoft TechNet here

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 01:57   #9
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
, would you happen to know how the documents, photos and other private files can be safely removed without damaging the system files or OS? What do you think?
Use a utility program like ccleaner. it has file shredder option.
Old 12th November 2013, 08:29   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Thanks for the pointers Chips and Sprinter
The pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together. Someone else sent me a pm about CCleaner which carries a 5 star rating. I will use it when I return to Nairobi in a few weeks time.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote