Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2016, 07:52   #1
Pumpwater
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Firefrost Red

Default MG Owners Club

I insure my 2006 MGTF with Lancaster Insurance

They have just emailed me offering membership of the MGOC without the usual £5 joining fee. Still £39 a year though!

Looking down the list of benefits it hardly seems worth it for me, any TF owners on here that are members? & do you get your moneys worth

Thanks ... Mike
Old 15th June 2016, 08:30   #2
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Yes it is costly and there forums hopeless compared to something like here. Very good monthly magazine though and there network of District organisers ensures there is plenty to do if you enjoy drives at weekends. Perhaps still a bias towards the older cars but as time marches on this has to change.

I would almost go as far to say that there typical cliental is a married couple circa retirement age with a immaculate weekend MGF.

Obviously run as / like a commercial company and many discounts available if you can take advantage of them.

You can get a very good Intro sample pack just by going on there website or phoning them.
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 08:55   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I am a member - I would tend to agree with the previous comments - good monthly magazine, and lots of events/road runs, mainly for folks with immaculate cars that they have paid others to restore/maintain.

I would not use their spares counter at Swavesey shop again - it has been a disaster each time I have been in there- service is slow, the staff sometimes off-hand and not very helpful - and the last time I went in (to buy some rear suspension shackles/bushes), the guy obviously had no idea about MGB rear suspension, and I had to show him on the computer screen (when he eventually found the right page) which parts I needed and how many bushes there were on each side of the car. Took me almost an hour to complete the transaction ! MGB Hive near Wisbech is much better- they know the cars inside out, and will have them sorted in no time.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 09:53   #4
Burwell Mike
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260

I have been a member for many years and feel I get my money's worth. Like others have said the magazine has some good articles and is starting to provide more coverage of more recent MG's, with the MGF's getting good coverage.
I have been on a few runs and events organized by the club or MGOC local groups and always found a good mix of cars with many MGF's and some Z range, many far from immaculate but still the pride and joy of the owner maintaining the car on a budget.
I have recently restored my '74 Midget and got many parts from them. I agree that counter service is sometimes slow (normally only one person behind the desk) but you can have a free coffee and browse round the showroom which always have a couple of interesting cars in it. Knowledge was OK but I normally went in with a list of part numbers to speed the process up. Ordering or technical advice by phone has been OK on few occasions I have used it
The biggest plus for me has been the advice and help provided by the MGOC workshop on my ZTT 260. The manager is very knowledgeable on them and is happy to offer advice (also over the phone if you are not nearby like me). Judging by the number of F's/TF's I have seen there I guess they are also well versed on them.
No vested interest - just passing on my experience with MGOC.

Mike
Burwell Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 10:13   #5
willshot
Posted a thing or two

Ex-ZI190 owner. ,Ford Focus RS

I'm a member of MGCC with my ZT & TF. The club magazine is good and there are plenty of events and runs organized by them to give your MG's a ride out.
willshot is offline   Reply With Quote