Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2018, 20:56   #1
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Almost unreadable IPK display

My lastest 75 message centre has more lines on it than King’s Cross Station. Sadly, Ricksta hasn’t any new screens anymore, but I hope I’m on his list if he does manage to get a few more.

Just want to check another option, if I find a IPK with a good message centre screen locally is it simply a matter of swapping the eeprom chip over from my IPK to the new IPK and all will be well with no mis-matches.

Is removing the dials any problem, or refitting?

I’d rather go this route instead of pairing up the old LSM and IPK but getting mismatches elsewhere, might keep Brian happier too.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 21:11   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
My lastest 75 message centre has more lines on it than King’s Cross Station. Sadly, Ricksta hasn’t any new screens anymore, but I hope I’m on his list if he does manage to get a few more.

Just want to check another option, if I find a IPK with a good message centre screen locally is it simply a matter of swapping the eeprom chip over from my IPK to the new IPK and all will be well with no mis-matches.

Is removing the dials any problem, or refitting?

I’d rather go this route instead of pairing up the old LSM and IPK but getting mismatches elsewhere, might keep Brian happier too.

Regards
Yes changing the 93S56 EEprom from the old to the "new" will work a treat

Removing the dials is fairly straightforward, the pointers prise off carefully using a flat screwdriver, once the dial surrounds are removed, then the faces lift out.

Once this is done, disengage the tangs securing the lower 7 segment display, and the upper LCD screen can be gently unclipped from the white part, and carefully and gently moved out of the way so the PCB can be separated from the white housing.

The IC you need to change is an eight pin SOIC serial eeprom, and pin 1 is designated with a large round solder land.

Have fun

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 22:23   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I thought Rick had recently found a supply of a few more.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 08:39   #4
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the replies. My first action was contacting Rick but sadly I was a bit slow and all the new screens have gone and he doesn’t know if he’ll get any more.

I’ve got a picture of the EEprom on my desktop and rather than attempting this myself I plan to go around to a local Apple repair shop and speak to them about replacing it. If they are unwilling I suppose I could always post the two IPKs to Rick.

Rick, if you’re reading this, do you have a good s/h unit you could do your magic on? You’ll need to transfer the dials too as it’s LHD. PM me if you’re able to help.
(Rover 75 2004 V6)

Regards
Old 13th December 2018, 16:29   #5
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

Has anybody ever looked into making a replacement for the IPK screen?

I have been considering trying to build something using a modern LCD screen attached to raspberry Pi or similar to interpret the signals and add a few more features to the IPK.

It's probably way beyond my skill set but it seems like a fun project.
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 16:55   #6
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. My first action was contacting Rick but sadly I was a bit slow and all the new screens have gone and he doesn’t know if he’ll get any more.

I’ve got a picture of the EEprom on my desktop and rather than attempting this myself I plan to go around to a local Apple repair shop and speak to them about replacing it. If they are unwilling I suppose I could always post the two IPKs to Rick.

Rick, if you’re reading this, do you have a good s/h unit you could do your magic on? You’ll need to transfer the dials too as it’s LHD. PM me if you’re able to help.
(Rover 75 2004 V6)
Ha
Regards

To be honest I’d just post them to Rick, he’s amazing with the products he produces
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 16:56   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
I thought Rick had recently found a supply of a few more.
Quote:

(Rover 75 2004 V6)

Regards
The last batch of screens I managed to get hold of was over a month ago and they're all gone unfortunately. Currently unable to source any more.

Yes I have a few fairly good second hand highline instrument clusters on the shelf. All of the instrument clusters I have do have lines on the screens but I only use ones with up to 10 lines at most as these are most likely to repair well and last longer.

If you want you send me your old instrument cluster I can transfer the eeprom and the dials etc.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 16:57   #8
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
To be honest I’d just post them to Rick, he’s amazing with the products he produces
Thanks Les
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 17:51   #9
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
The last batch of screens I managed to get hold of was over a month ago and they're all gone unfortunately. Currently unable to source any more.

Yes I have a few fairly good second hand highline instrument clusters on the shelf. All of the instrument clusters I have do have lines on the screens but I only use ones with up to 10 lines at most as these are most likely to repair well and last longer.

If you want you send me your old instrument cluster I can transfer the eeprom and the dials etc.
Many thanks for the helpful news, PM will soon be in your box.
Old 13th December 2018, 19:16   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Mmmmm

I've no KMH dials left, but I do have a nice enough message centre that can be modified if need be

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kmh ipk 1.jpg (116.7 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg kmh ipk 2.jpg (122.6 KB, 356 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote