Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th December 2006, 17:12   #1
iannn

rover 75 saloon

Default locking car with fob!

hi all, how close have you to be to the car to get the car to lock with the fob i seem to have to be virtually next to the car for it to lock/unlock have changed the battery in the fob no difference at all , where do you point the fob at the car for to work i have r75 1.8 2001.
cheers iannn.
iannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 17:59   #2
lildevil
Avid contributor

Lexus IS200 (Previously - Rover 75 Saloon)

I have a similar problem but not as bad as yours. I have changed the battery in the fob but the same as you I seem to have noticed no difference. I point mine towards the front of the car always seems the best place. I believe I read that on the MK1 cars the receiver for the alarm is somewhere near the handbrake. However I may be wrong, more clever, intelligent people will be alone soon. I am soon learning and asking questions but hope to one day be able to answer questions as well as ask them.

Regards
Tom
lildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 18:01   #3
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Hi and welcome to this great forum. The distance to operate the fob varies due to the angle you are to the car. The easiest way to do it from a distance is to place the key on your temple and press. Honest, it works from 50 yards
madone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 18:05   #4
Matt brighton
Avid contributor

Alfa Romeo 159 !!

Hi iannn,

mine (2001 conn se) seems to lock/unlock from sometimes great distances away - at other times I seem to have to be pointing the key an inch from the w screen.

Always seems better when approaching the car from the fromnt (where reciever is)

Not an answer from me really but other cars I have driven seem to lock/unlock from the other side of town !!!

matt-brighton
Matt brighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 18:13   #5
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

On the earlier cars the receiver is fitted under the centre console just forward of the handbrake Not good for getting a clear signal.

On later cars it was moved to behind the instrument pack and the problems you are experiencing largely disappeared. Some members with earlier cars have moved the receiver themselves.

hth

Mike
Old 8th December 2006, 20:27   #6
Simon
Banned

-

Mines an early car and as such the sensor reception is poor. The fob-against-temple method does work, but it will also make people look at you funny

Moving the reciever will definately improve your reception range as Mike says.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 02:43   #7
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Key Fob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
Mines an early car and as such the sensor reception is poor. The fob-against-temple method does work, but it will also make people look at you funny

Moving the reciever will definately improve your reception range as Mike says.
Don't worry what others think, if it opens up your mind you have one up on them. Think of the possibilities.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 06:53   #8
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannn View Post
i seem to have to be virtually next to the car for it to lock/unlock
Same here on my 2001 1.8 Club. Most annoying, especially in this weather.

Only thing I've found that helps is to hold the fob higher than the body panel height, still doesn't make that much of a difference though

Anyone know if the reciever can be moved without removing the entire center console?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 08:58   #9
Andyb123
Loves to post

Rover 75 2L CDT Conn Se HiLine SATNAV

To quote 'MADONE', 'The easiest way to do it from a distance is to place the key on your temple and press. Honest, it works from 50 yards.'

My kids told me about this one day when we were on holiday over in USA, they jokingly said it increases the range, so being the analyst I am I performed a real time factual analysis. Guess what, it actually worked, cannot figure out why, but I must say the kids got a great giggle out of it. Dad standing there with key fob held to temple and moving away from the car till I could not activate the door locks. It seemed to more than double the distance over which the key fob would work.

Any one got an idea why?.
Andyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 09:31   #10
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Hi Rich

We do have a how to for this job but I can’t find it. so look at the same one but on http://sfld.de/club75/RemoteControl.pdf

The receiver can be moved without taking the counsel out, The receiver is mounted under the hand break in a black plastic box. Keith has removed the black box and extended the cables under the centre counsel up to behind his dash, but said that to get the black box off to a right mare to do.

I just opened the black box which is not to hard to do and took the PCB out and cut the wires and extended the cables and replaced the PCB in a plastic box I had knocking about.

The ranged has improved a bit
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote