Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd August 2011, 22:26   #1
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Default "Brake Fault" appearing on Message Centre

The last couple of days when I have got in the car on a cold start i.e. the cars been standing overnight, when I first start the car I get "Brake Fault" coming up on the message centre, there are no other warning lights and no other warnings on the message centre. The Brakes work perfect and the pedal feels good etc.

I haven't checked the Brake fluid level since I cleaned the Plenum / windscreen scuttle area when I first got the car it wasn't at the Max mark, but wasn't too low to be concerned, but I would have thought low Brake Fluid level would bring up a warning for the level ie "Low Brake Fluid"? This is a Red Warning with the Red circle and red exclamation mark inside it

Has anyone else had this and know the problem? It only does it on a Cold start, once the Engine has been run, it is fine for the day if that makes sense.
Old 24th August 2011, 06:01   #2
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Hi Carl. I ran a thread on this about 18 months ago or abouts.
It's only the Diesels that do it. Maybe because they have a separate vacuum pump. Mine does it and so do quite a few if not all
Once run a few seconds all is well. I've never had a problem with the brakes. Have you noticed too that if you sit with your foot on the brake pedal it will slowly sink to the floor?
Again never had an issue with that either. Just erm... Weird
I noticed that if I pumped out the vacuum, as it filled, I would also get a low tone coming from somewhere. Goes as soon as pressure returns.
Strange.
Regards. Steve.
Old 24th August 2011, 06:21   #3
scouseeric
Passed Away

75 contemporary se cdti

Dunno about just the diesels, Steve, it used to happen sometimes on my v6. Like you say though, nowt to worry about.

Eric
scouseeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 06:43   #4
slippy
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi+

My ZT diesel does it too. Only comes on occasionally for a second first thing & no faults that I can find with my brakes - well, it stops when I want it to...........which is nice!
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 07:18   #5
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

cool cheers. Just very wierd
Old 24th August 2011, 07:42   #6
Customs Inc
Loves to post

'01 Conn Se Raven Black tourer, 2000 2.5 Classic grey saloon

Mu old one used to do it, got nicked before I had chance to look into it deeper. I found no faults with the vacuum reading at the pump, nor any faults in any of the wiring. My next port of call was to take the servo out itself due to a similar and very common problem on A4's and Passat's.

Because the servo sits in the plenum (same design as the 75's) if the drain tubes are blocked the plenum fills with water, as we all know. Water subsequently creeps into the servo itself, or corrodes the servo housing allowing it to separate very slightly, causing a vacuum leak, some customers complained of actual brake failure (in respect of having a very hard pedal), other just the light on the dash.

Another fault they suffer from was an electrical fault; the main starter lead ran right next to some brake system wiring. upon start up (particularly when cold and more amps drawn from the battery) the amperage going down the starter cable would 'activate' the brake wiring as it were and bring on the dash light. Though I can't think of anywhere on a 75 where wiring crosses path in a particularly close vicinity to cause this.

I've not had another one in to do any further checks on but maybe that is of use to someone.
Old 24th August 2011, 07:48   #7
barann
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon CDT club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlpenn View Post
The last couple of days when I have got in the car on a cold start i.e. the cars been standing overnight, when I first start the car I get "Brake Fault" coming up on the message centre, there are no other warning lights and no other warnings on the message centre. The Brakes work perfect and the pedal feels good etc.

I haven't checked the Brake fluid level since I cleaned the Plenum / windscreen scuttle area when I first got the car it wasn't at the Max mark, but wasn't too low to be concerned, but I would have thought low Brake Fluid level would bring up a warning for the level ie "Low Brake Fluid"? This is a Red Warning with the Red circle and red exclamation mark inside it

Has anyone else had this and know the problem? It only does it on a Cold start, once the Engine has been run, it is fine for the day if that makes sense.
Had my 75 from new and it has done this from day one on very cold mornings ,as soon as you pull away the warning light goes out and no fault has ever been found after returning it to main dealers. just another quirk on some 75s.

Last edited by barann; 24th August 2011 at 07:55..
barann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 09:12   #8
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customs Inc View Post
Mu old one used to do it, got nicked before I had chance to look into it deeper. I found no faults with the vacuum reading at the pump, nor any faults in any of the wiring. My next port of call was to take the servo out itself due to a similar and very common problem on A4's and Passat's.

Because the servo sits in the plenum (same design as the 75's) if the drain tubes are blocked the plenum fills with water, as we all know. Water subsequently creeps into the servo itself, or corrodes the servo housing allowing it to separate very slightly, causing a vacuum leak, some customers complained of actual brake failure (in respect of having a very hard pedal), other just the light on the dash.

Another fault they suffer from was an electrical fault; the main starter lead ran right next to some brake system wiring. upon start up (particularly when cold and more amps drawn from the battery) the amperage going down the starter cable would 'activate' the brake wiring as it were and bring on the dash light. Though I can't think of anywhere on a 75 where wiring crosses path in a particularly close vicinity to cause this.

I've not had another one in to do any further checks on but maybe that is of use to someone.

Hi Rich. Well that's the best and mist concise info on this I've read. Glad you took the time to investigate it as much as you could.
Very interesting.
And cheers Eric I hadn't heard of the petrol variant being affected.
Regards. Steve.