Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th November 2019, 17:30   #1
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default rear door - clips not gripping top of door card

Hi,
On my rear door the card is not being gripped by those spring steel clips along the top edge. I think there are 4 of them and the cold in the door card along the top edge. The door has been apart a couple of time but whether the clips are old or maybe the door card is warn where they grip on. Either way it doesn't hold.

Anyone know a fix. I don't want to try glue as that would be permanent and messy. Also I don't think it would hold. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also that black coated aluminium strip running along the bottom of the window is well corroded and buckled. I thought someone was selling these but they were quite dear. Is that still the case?

Cheers and thanks.

Jim
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 17:53   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
Hi,
On my rear door the card is not being gripped by those spring steel clips along the top edge. I think there are 4 of them and the cold in the door card along the top edge. The door has been apart a couple of time but whether the clips are old or maybe the door card is warn where they grip on. Either way it doesn't hold.

Anyone know a fix. I don't want to try glue as that would be permanent and messy. Also I don't think it would hold. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also that black coated aluminium strip running along the bottom of the window is well corroded and buckled. I thought someone was selling these but they were quite dear. Is that still the case?

Cheers and thanks.

Jim
I would imagine it's the inner waist seals that have corroded that is pushing your door card away and stopping it clipping in properly (common issue). Just for info the limo rear inner waist seals are the same but a little longer so need trimming down. Good normal seals are hard to find!

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 18:29   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...96&postcount=1
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 22:24   #4
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I took my rear door cards off, and for a dew weeks, they kept unclipping at the top! I think I hadn't pushed them on hard enough. Every time they popped, I just hit them harder. Eventually, they stopped popping out!
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2019, 22:44   #5
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks. Can you still get limo rear inner waist seals? I thought they had run out too.

One trick I tried a while back was cutting and butting up two good sections salvaged from two partly corroded lengths. It took a bit of notching but looked okay.

Heddy, I like that fix. To be honest it looks hardly noticeable.

I have a similar fix. There are plastic strips just inside the sill and as you step in and out of the front seats these invariably get kicked and were forever falling off. Mine are now screwed in place and have never been a hassle since. Again it's hardly noticeable unless you went looking for it!

Cheers, I'll have a go at fixing tomorrow.
Old 20th November 2019, 22:52   #6
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richw View Post
I took my rear door cards off, and for a dew weeks, they kept unclipping at the top! I think I hadn't pushed them on hard enough. Every time they popped, I just hit them harder. Eventually, they stopped popping out!
I tried brute force but they simply don't grip. On ebay the clips are ~£2.50 each but the inner waist strip is probably part of the problem as pointed out to me.
Old 20th November 2019, 23:17   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
Thanks. Can you still get limo rear inner waist seals? I thought they had run out too.

One trick I tried a while back was cutting and butting up two good sections salvaged from two partly corroded lengths. It took a bit of notching but looked okay.

Heddy, I like that fix. To be honest it looks hardly noticeable.

I have a similar fix. There are plastic strips just inside the sill and as you step in and out of the front seats these invariably get kicked and were forever falling off. Mine are now screwed in place and have never been a hassle since. Again it's hardly noticeable unless you went looking for it!

Cheers, I'll have a go at fixing tomorrow.
Parts 11 and 12 HERE

An alternative a member documented somewhere on the forum, was to use two plastic U shaped trims bonded together. The type you see covering the edge of exposed glass doors - another possible alternative would be a double channel type for sliding doors in a display cabinet. Something like this (shop link). Obviously, this will rely on the card being screwed to the door, but it will prevent the dissimilar metal corrosion again.

or this

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 02:38   #8
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

The best way is to modify the existing clips so they stand taller, giving the door card something to hook onto. The design is diddly.
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2019, 21:45   #9
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I had a backup plan too. I had some self tappers ready to drive into the recessed part near the edge. But just before I did it, they stopped popping off. The car must have been scared!
richw is offline   Reply With Quote