Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 6th February 2020, 18:08   #21
morgymoo

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Murphy View Post
No voltage with ignition on?
No voltage with ignition on and key in start position
Old 6th February 2020, 18:33   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgymoo View Post
Simon any clues as to how i proceed ?
In posts 3 and 6 MarinaBrian, who presents himself as an expert on the immobiliser and associated ECUs, made two suggestions which turned out not to be the case. Now that those have been eliminated, I would expect him to return with relish to give you the definitive diagnosis.

Simon
Old 6th February 2020, 18:56   #23
morgymoo

rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
In posts 3 and 6 MarinaBrian, who presents himself as an expert on the immobiliser and associated ECUs, made two suggestions which turned out not to be the case. Now that those have been eliminated, I would expect him to return with relish to give you the definitive diagnosis.

Simon
Brian where are you ?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Old 7th February 2020, 17:28   #24
morgymoo

rover 75

Wink

Anybody anything ?
Old 7th February 2020, 18:28   #25
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Brian does know a thing or two about these cars but the last post I saw from him said something like “that’s it, bye”. If Brian’s taking time out then perhaps BigRuss is your best bet if there’s a problem with the car’s immobiliser (EWS).

There are companies that can do an immobiliser bypass but not sure what your insurance company will say.

There’s also the option of buying an ECU kit, perhaps from MickeyBoy as he should know all the bits you require.

But try sending a PM to BigRuss as he knows about immobilisers and what’s required to test them.

Regards
Old 7th February 2020, 19:49   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Brian does know a thing or two about these cars but the last post I saw from him said something like “that’s it, bye”.
He's just attention seeking Mike. He does it regularly, the last time being September last year I think. He'll be back, don't worry.

Simon
Old 9th February 2020, 23:02   #27
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

Simon
In all likelihood the 910 ohm 1/4w resistor that resides under the starter enable relay is damaged, along with a couple of surface mount transistors in the same area.

In turn as the starter solenoid has been hotwired, so to speak, it is quite likely the EWS3 MEMS3 rolling code link has been lost as a result, the simple idea of one key transponder having a data transmission fault as a result of repeated attempts to start the car with a discharged battery, having been dismissed as the second key exhibits the same behaviour as the first, when tested.

But of course you would known exactly why I suggested that test to the OP yourself Simon, and I'm sure you would have offered to repair this for him, thus saving him a bill of circa £600 to have BMW supply an EWS4.3 along with two new keys, being the definitive expert you really are

Now this week has ended for me, a week which started by having a 400 mile round trip to source and have fitted a new rear screen after some drunken lout lobbed a beer bottle through back window of the the ZT, during the trip the speedometer feed from the OSF ABS sensor failed, most conveniently.

Tuesday saw the funeral of a close friend of 30+ years who died following a battle with lung cancer, and shall we say dealing with the problems of others have not been high on my list of priorities.

You need to remember something about me Simon, I don't present myself as any kind of expert, I'm fairly knowledgeable, and certainly don't mind helping fellow owners out, but the one thing I can say with a degree of confidence, I've forgotten more than you will ever know about these cars, and rather than quoting chapter and verse from the factory manual, I've carried out repairs and reworks to these cars, that were not thought possible by the manufacturer, never mind the average dealer.

By the way it was September 2018 you were alluding to in your earlier post, as that was the start of a rather lucrative contract for in my real life day to day job, something I was determined not to be interrupted by a petulant amateur talking about KV6 belt changes that only took him a mere 12 weeks to carry out

Perhaps you should try harder to get your facts straight next time Simon

Brian
Old 9th February 2020, 23:15   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgymoo View Post
Simon any clues as to how i proceed ?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
You're speaking to the wrong person Graham, drop me a PM, and I'll let you know how to remove the EWS3 and the MEMS3 ECM.

Bundle them up along with the backs from your keys, and I'll sort this out for you........I don't mind helping out in a very practical sense, simply because I can do what others cannot

Brian
Old 15th February 2020, 15:55   #29
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:

Simon
Well as you've requested so politely Simon, here I am returning to give you the definitive diagnosis

This post contains pictures to explain in detail to those members in the Middlesex area, what actually was the problem with the OP's ECU set.

If you're sitting comfortably, I shall begin....................

The transponder in the top casing covered in black goo is the one identified as having a data fault, the lower casing, can anyone spot what the issue is with that?

After resetting the sync on the transponder with the data fault, it now identifies as key two and will start the car

Here we have the ECU identification of the OP's car

And finally the live data of the car running

So what does this all say?, a question directed specifically at our reaident armchair expert Simon SD1too

Well for one, never assume a diagnosis is incorrect and then come back attempting to gloat because you think you know better, as you may find yourself looking a little foolish

If you don't have a valid transponder in a key, the car will not start, if you have no transponder in the key at all in the car it will definitely not start

Neither the above points are the case now, as the OP will have two fully functional key transponders at his disposal once he receives the parcel containing his bits and bobs

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ews key ident.jpg (128.2 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg mems ident.jpg (132.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg running mems.jpg (131.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg key transponders.jpg (142.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 15th February 2020, 21:49   #30
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Brian you are a pleasure to read/listen to (is it to or too?)
Regards David
Closed Thread