Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th November 2018, 19:51   #1
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Default K Series Polyvee Drive Belt Tensioner - PQG100180A

What are people's opinions on changing the power steering belt tensioner?

Cambelt will soon be due for renewal and I have the usual parts (cambelt, water pump, timing belt tensioner), but I've also got a new power steering belt as it was starting to look a little ropey the last time I'd been under the car. Does a new Polyvee tensioner need to be installed along with the new power steering belt?

The car has 140k on the clock now and I'm sure this tensioner has never been changed.

The polyvee tensioners are quite expensive but I see that pulley assemblies for same can be purchased fairly cheaply.

Are these parts prone to failure? And would a pulley assembly be a good purchase?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 20:10   #2
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

I replaced one on my ohs mg6. I'd fitted a new belt as it was a tad squeeky and the noise returned in short order.

Its a tough one as I honestly couldn't tell it was bad other than a new belt making noise relatively quickly after replacement.

I'm general I'd say no but it depends on how you feel about it and how deep your pockets are. I think I got one for a 75 from eurocarparts for the 6.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 21:35   #3
The Mighty Quinn
Posted a thing or two

2004 mk1 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE saloon (auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango151 View Post
I replaced one on my ohs mg6. I'd fitted a new belt as it was a tad squeeky and the noise returned in short order.

Its a tough one as I honestly couldn't tell it was bad other than a new belt making noise relatively quickly after replacement.

I'm general I'd say no but it depends on how you feel about it and how deep your pockets are. I think I got one for a 75 from eurocarparts for the 6.

Thanks for the info Carl.

Yeah, I can't say there's anything noticeably wrong with the current tensioner. But, having never been changed, I'm just wondering if it'd be a good idea to get it swapped out for new. If the pulley is the only part that wears, maybe it'd be a good idea to get that changed?

However, I'm loath to putting non-genuine parts on my car, so I might just go for a new full tensioner assembly.

Cheers,
Karl.
The Mighty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote