Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th February 2016, 17:53   #21
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I just stopped.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 18:35   #22
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
I just stopped.
Show off
Old 19th February 2016, 18:47   #23
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I'm another to escape the addiction. Smoked from my early/mid teens for 32 years or so. For me it was the realisation that patches could be used to reduce my intake and I could use them before I completely stopped. Finding the easiest way for yourself is part of the equation, the other half is the mindset that you get into. As already said 7 days leads to 8, leads to 9.... leads to losing count . Every time you that you think about how long since you stopped congratulate yourself on your achievement - brag about it to your non-smoking friends and family to encourage their support (you'll get it unreservedly from all the non-smokers).

Even if you do slip and have ' a crafty one' it's not the end of the world, just own up to it and remind yourself how long you managed without one and see if you can beat that time before the next one. I'd caution against vaping, everyone I know who stopped smoking to vape instead just found it really easy to swap the two without breaking the addiction at all, and seem to find even less reason to give up vaping.

What's clear from just the posts here is, it's possible to break the addiction if that's what your really want. There's as many ways to do that as there are smokers.

One other thing I should mention - when you start measuring it in weeks you'll start noticing the smell (ugh) of stale smoke on smokers - you'll be amazed at how much like some unmentionable mess on the bottom of your shoe it can smell like! Then think - 'I used to smell like that' - now that's reinforcement!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 18:49   #24
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

As people say, it's an addiction to nicotine.

Not many consider the Damage you are doing to your body with all the other things that you take in with the nicotine.

Because the damage is not visible it's ignored.

Have a read of this bit below if you want something to help you give up the demon weed.

Looking into the subject of lung cancer I found it usually starts up with carcinogens in our lungs.

Also the air we breath is full of carcinogens.

It seems that nicotine addiction is what makes smokers light up but it's not what does the damage !!

Our bronchial tubes have a coating of very fine hairs called cilium.
These hairs move up and down in a wave action. Now here's the clever bit. They move upwards slowly and downwards fast. Took nature thousands of years to perfect. Lol.

When we breath air into our lungs we also breath in carcinogens.
( Substances that can trigger off cancer. )

Nature has designed this very clever way of keeping our lungs clean of dust.The dust particles settle on these hairs and then the hairs carry the dust back up slowly towards our throat. the hairs flick back down at high speed leaving behind the dust ( inertia ) then slowly lift up the next particles and so on.
When the dust reaches the back of the throat there are sensitive nerves that detect it and these nerves make you cough and the dust is ejected to be swallowed and pass harmlessly through the stomach.

Now to smoking.

What happens when you smoke is that TAR from the smoke coats the cilia hairs and sticks them down so they can no longer work !!
Thus all the dust particles including the carcinogens you breath in REMAIN in your lungs.
There the carcinogens now have time to do their insidious work and can trigger normal cells into super fast reproduction. ( ie. Those cells have become CANCER cells ! )

Some time ago the cigarette manufacturers started to sell cigarettes with the words LOW TAR on the packets. This was an attempt put less tar into smokers lungs but was of little help.

Now a last thought:-- When you see how much dust lands on your car daily think how much more is taken into your lungs when you breath. Probably hundreds of times more. Some of this dust is breathed out but a large amount stays there cos you've negated natures cleaning system through being a smoker and gumming up the works !!

OK. One more last thought. Lol.

Imagine leaving the same oil in your car and NEVER changing it or of never vacuum cleaning out your house. Just imagine the MESS.
You tend to ignore what is happening inside you lungs cos you can't see it But that is how your lungs at this moment are looking...

Nothing more to say, I guess.

It's not the cough that carries you off it's the coffin they carry you off in.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 21:40   #25
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

I stopped in Sept 2014, bought my ZT-T with what I saved.

I simply quit, refused to pay nearly 8 quid for 19!
I'd also so say if you're strong enough, don't Vape. Personally I don't see the point of replacing one addiction for another (just my opinion! don't shoot me lol )
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 23:13   #26
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesdw View Post
If you have made it to day 7 you may make it to day 8, when you make it to day 8 you may make it to day 9 etc etc. I did it this way 22 years ago. Hellish at first but it DOES get easier as your sense of accomplishment kicks in.
Good luck
This is the way I did it when I stopped over three years ago. DO NOT start on this vapouring malarkey, by all accounts it is also very addictive and as it is a relatively new craze it is currently unknown what any future health conditions or problems it may cause

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 14:09   #27
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Day 8 is here,the anxiety is getting less and easier to deal with,I keep telling myself its over a week now,I will get there,thanks again for all you comments.

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 14:32   #28
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Good luck w4nnty, it's the best single thing you can ever do for yourself. I stopped 06.11.08 after reading the easyway by Allen Carr. Fantastic book, basically he strips away all the brainwashing each and every one of us has had in regards to smoking and changes your mindset. Instead of something to be feared, stopping smoking is setting yourself free, setting yourself free from that train journey you can't smoke on, for me when I was in the house at night and my son was in bed my evening was ruled by how many cigarettes I had left. Being a bit of a snob, I absolutely detested being herded in a group with other unclean lepers outside pubs and clubs for the sake of a draw, smoking really is a humiliating experience and (sorry not sorry) I now partly look down my nose at people who smoke (especially in the company of children) and partly pity them.

You will NEVER regret sticking with this and seeing it through, freedom beckons, relish every moment!
Old 20th February 2016, 14:46   #29
Gren 24
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDTI

You are doing well, you have got this far so don't let it win. Think on all that money you will save and be able to spend it on the things you like,Meals out with your love one, Your Tourer that you said you would not mind getting parts for it.
Gren 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 16:36   #30
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

There you go Steve .

You will be letting everyone down if you go back to the devils weed.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote