Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2016, 10:42   #11
charlesdw

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile Giving up the weed

If you have made it to day 7 you may make it to day 8, when you make it to day 8 you may make it to day 9 etc etc. I did it this way 22 years ago. Hellish at first but it DOES get easier as your sense of accomplishment kicks in.
Good luck
charlesdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 10:45   #12
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

If you switch to vaping then you have another addiction to overcome (if you wish) The main issue I believe is that smokers miss the 'throat hit', vaping provides that hit. Downside of vaping is that many believe it's still not 'safe', and they never go out, so you can be vaping non stop. Mrs. Heddy and I switched to vaping around 2 yrs ago, no apparent side effects, no coughing, more energy etc, cheaper, but we're still vaping!

I agree with this as a vaper. What you are doing is swapping tobacco as a vehicle for consuming nicotine for another means of doing it. But it is the lesser of two evils and boy is it cheaper. £50 a month for vape versus £360 for the fags.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 10:47   #13
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Are you going cold turkey ?

Vaping may help if you're really struggling.
I've seen that many people end up getting addicted to vaping if they start it in a bid to stop smoking. It then ends up being almost as expensive, with trying out new flavours etc.

I gave up about 9 months ago after finding myself increasingly short of breath. It was ok to start with as I was using patches and they helped a lot, although I did have the odd cigarette when with work colleagues who smoked and when out for a drink.

The problem started after a few weeks when I started to get an allergic reaction to the patches and came out in a really bad rash all over my body, especially under the patch, so I had to go cold turkey.
I was doing ok until I ended up in hospital after a motorbike accident and started again after I came out, mainly from boredom as I was in a wheelchair for two months.

I've now given up again (three months now) and haven't had one cigarette.
It was easy this time because my surgeon told me that if I didn't then my shattered arm wouldn't heal! That was the only motivation I needed.
The only help I've been using are Nicorette Cools lozenges, they're OK and take the edge off the cravings, and I've found they're the least horrible tasting.

Good luck with it w44nty, it's not easy despite what some people think.
It's definitely worth it in the end

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 10:58   #14
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

It was the breaking of the routine I found hardest along with finding your hands fidgeting without a fag in between the digits !

I found the actual craving had pretty much subsided after a fortnight and then it was just a case of doing something else when I normally reached for a puff!

I'll let you use your own imagination on that one Steve

It's been about fifteen years now for me and I don't miss being ruled by the nicotine that's for sure.

You'll be fine and it gets easier as you gradually stop those routines and the nicotine is no longer in your system
Old 19th February 2016, 10:58   #15
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

I can sympathise with you as it took 50 yes and many attempts before I found the answer for me I went to gp and he put me on a drug called Champix which is a 12 week course and if successful a second course should be prescribed I have to say that it was really effective and I haven't had a cigarette or the desire for one in over 8 years now and my wallet approves too
Best of luck to you
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 11:09   #16
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

It's very hard to quit, I've gone through it twice in my life, I stopped for 13 years then out of the blue I started again I'm not going through quitting ever again. I've not had a fag in over 6 years now. You've got to be really determined in your mind & take it one day at a time at first.

I used to have a boiled sweet when I wanted a ciggy to take my mind off it. the money you save is astronomical & I bought myself a few nice goodies (guitar & a camera) as a reward. I remember going into the shop to buy some tobacco after they put tobacco up in the budget & I said there & then NO WAY am I paying that & I loved a ciggy. that was the incentive that started it for me the second time around. Not to mention the health side of things, I've never felt better in years. I hope you can keep at it & give them the boot like I did.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 11:37   #17
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

thats what one must be careful of its so easy to starting smoking again
And it only takes one
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 11:44   #18
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

I packed up, twenty odd years ago, At that time I had tried two or three times, until Dawn said too me, you are not only killing yourself you are also killing me, with that statement I stopped and have never looked back.
I know it's difficult but stick with it you will feel better for it as well as being financially better off.

Rev Jules.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 15:01   #19
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Thanks everyone for your support,todayhas been a bit easier anxiety wise,that is the worse bit in my opinion.

Together we will make it

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 16:03   #20
Spenrex
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
nip to your nearest book shop and buy alan carrs the easy way to stop smoking.and remember you are not giving up anything. look at as treating yourself.the phrase giving up in itself implies denying a pleasure.its is not. its drug addiction the only reason folks smoke is to get to the drug nicotine.the stress you are going thro is caused by the nicotine itself thats how it works.it will pass
Completely agree with this I gave up about 4 years ago now having read this book. You are not giving up anything you are gaining your freedom from being a slave to a drug that will kill you, so celebrate.