Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2014, 22:59   #1
Andydote
Gets stuck in

ZT CDTI & 220 Turbo

Default Cowboy Car Park Companies

Long story short....

Aug 2013, after a 14 hour drive across Europe, stopped at M20 Roadchef Maidstone for a quick kip before finishing the journey back to Coventry.

I was asleep for 2:45mins, give or take 5 mins.

2 weeks later a letter from CP Plus arrives. Parking CHARGE Notice, £90.

I ignored, as I have done with similar PCN's before, because these are not enforceable tickets.

Received another CP Plus reminder a few weeks later, then 1 more about 8 weeks after the 'offense'.

I've since had 2 further threatening letters from DRP Ltd, now demanding £120 or court action.

I know it's not enforceable but it's getting annoying.

Any advice on what I can write to them? Something like although I'm the registered keeper I wasn't driving at the time and am not legally obliged to name the driver. Or due to the time of car park entry being at 05:29 hours I didn't see the signs due to lighting issues!?

It makes me mad. The motorway signs encourage us to pull over if tired, then we get fake tickets from cowboys because we had a little nap at the back of the car park!

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...23ce063f6c.jpg
Andydote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 23:15   #2
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Write to your MP demanding to know why we don't have free Motorway laybys, point out if you were driving an HGV with tachometer you'd be legally obliged to stop and rest.
Write to CP and tell them you've taken it up with your MP.
Then write to the Daily Mail telling them you think it's unfair you should be fined for doing the right thing, they love writing stories about jobsworth's and crackpot rules.
Also write to BBC's watchdog, they like to beat the Daily Mail on issues of natural justice.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 23:28   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Don't be goaded into replying to these demands, you risk either admitting liability or lying. Saying nothing is the best course of action with regards to contact with these shysters. They'll eventually give up and leave you alone. Do however keep the 'correspondence' for pursuing your other options below.

Writing to your MP is something more people should do, make him/her do some work. It's a very good point about being able to take sufficient breaks to be fit to drive and that (attempting to ) imposing punitive fines on people for taking care to be safe driving is counter productive; and so should be a matter for your MP to pursue.

Why not raise it with the media again, they do ( or at least did ) seem to like to have a go at the companies involved in this sort of business (shady parking 'enforcement').

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 00:53   #4
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

As said above.....completely ignore it no matter how tempted you are to reply !

You'll get the usual threatening letters but they'll soon go away.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 00:59   #5
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

NEVER reply

The best thing to do is to simply mark the envelope

"NO CONTRACT - RETURN TO SENDER"
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 06:23   #6
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Private land im afraid. Looks like they have forwarded you to debt collectors. None of this is fake im afraid, up to you now what you do.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 11:57   #7
Andydote
Gets stuck in

ZT CDTI & 220 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiel View Post
Private land im afraid. Looks like they have forwarded you to debt collectors. None of this is fake im afraid, up to you now what you do.
It's not fake, but it's not an enforceable fine is it? It's an invoice for parking...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...23ce063f6c.jpg
Andydote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 12:15   #8
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiel View Post
That's the norm i'm afraid.

You'll get 2 or 3 letters from debt collectors, maybe 1 or 2 threatening that they 'may' take you to court (but they can't because they have no absolute proof who was driving - unless you reply of course)

As said, it's not enforceable but the various letters always look convincing & are that way to scare people.

It is indeed an invoice inviting you to pay.

The last one I had, I checked on the address of the so called 'debt collector' & it turned out to be the address of a female accountant in London !!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 13:21   #9
Markj

MG ZT CDTI

Hi all, I hope I'm right when I say this -
When the bill to make clamping illegal in the uk was introduced (Protection of Freedoms Act 2012) I think a part of it was "Recovery of unpaid parking charges"
"Schedule 4 (which makes provision for the recovery of unpaid parking charges

from the keeper of a vehicle in cases where it is not known who was driving

the vehicle when the charges were incurred) has effect."

Not being a legal eagle I'm not sure.

Cheers.
Markj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 15:15   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have done this a few times when returning from dropping a coach at the ferry port. Usually stop at Peterborough services, have an hour's kip, then pop in for a quick coffee, before hitting the road again. I thought service areas had free parking for so long? I have never had one of these NIPs, not for parking at a service area anyway