Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 14th March 2014, 12:10   #1
Yozza64
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Club SE

Default Criminals Get Better Car Insurance

Seems that if you are a criminal who has committed a serious motoring offence will end up with cheaper car insurance. As the offence will be wiped clean within months.

Yes if the likes of us law abiding motorists commit a speeding offence it will stay on record for 5 years.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/cri...070329615.html
Old 14th March 2014, 13:36   #2
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Yet another...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza64 View Post
Seems that if you are a criminal who has committed a serious motoring offence will end up with cheaper car insurance. As the offence will be wiped clean within months.

Yes if the likes of us law abiding motorists commit a speeding offence it will stay on record for 5 years.

Yip, yet another example of how nutty the legal system in this country is.
My dad believes everyone gets their comeuppance at some point in the future. I wish that was true!

Chris
Old 14th March 2014, 15:31   #3
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

While I agree the periods are a little lean, I have to agree with the rehabilitation of offenders act, if you have to wear your questionable past as a weight around your neck forever and be chastised for it, where is the incentive not to re-offend?
Old 14th March 2014, 19:29   #4
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
While I agree the periods are a little lean, I have to agree with the rehabilitation of offenders act, if you have to wear your questionable past as a weight around your neck forever and be chastised for it, where is the incentive not to re-offend?
I think that should be incentive to not offend in the first place.
Old 14th March 2014, 20:45   #5
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza64 View Post

"Yes if the likes of us law abiding motorists commit a speeding offence it will stay on record for 5 years."

if you commit a speeding offence your not a law abiding motorist surely?

i think this new law is a good idea. for far too long people with convictions have had their lives ruined for ever being unable to get jobs, credit or insurance.

my partner had her licence taken away for 3 years after 2 drink driving offences. getting car insurance for her is impossible even though in those 3 years she gained her PGCE and now works at the local university. she had a medical before getting her licence back and now has her licence back but insurance quotes are ridiculous because of her drink driving conviction.

is she any more of a risk than a speeding motorist?

Last edited by rosephus; 14th March 2014 at 20:49..
Old 14th March 2014, 20:48   #6
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
I think that should be incentive to not offend in the first place.
people make mistakes. no one is perfect. a fundamental part of life is learning from the mistakes you have made.

should we be forever to blame and held account for every mistake we make? personally i would rather live in a society that is able to forgive and move on positively.

if you committed a crime and did your time then why should you forever be held to account for the crime and stopped from working, getting a mortgage or driving a car?
Old 15th March 2014, 00:16   #7
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefro View Post
"Yes if the likes of us law abiding motorists commit a speeding offence it will stay on record for 5 years."

if you commit a speeding offence your not a law abiding motorist surely?

i think this new law is a good idea. for far too long people with convictions have had their lives ruined for ever being unable to get jobs, credit or insurance.

my partner had her licence taken away for 3 years after 2 drink driving offences. getting car insurance for her is impossible even though in those 3 years she gained her PGCE and now works at the local university. she had a medical before getting her licence back and now has her licence back but insurance quotes are ridiculous because of her drink driving conviction.

is she any more of a risk than a speeding motorist?
Umm,

Joe, I don't wish to offend but im sorry to say that YES! she is more of a risk than a speeding motorist.

I am not passing judgement.... in fact..... im sorry I have to. Your partner was punished once by the courts yet she did not learn and committed the same offence again, her having to have a medical indicates it was twice within ten years.

So what's stopping her doing it a third time?

Well, the fact that she cannot get insurance means she is not in a position to drive, either sober or under the influence. So its actually the insurance company that is keeping her from the temptation to do it again.
Old 15th March 2014, 01:01   #8
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

The justice system in this country is a complete and utter farce, for years I've read the 'scales of justice' pages in the local press and have seen people go through the courts for being caught whilst driving without insurance, only to end up with being awarded 6 points on their license (which largely means nothing) and a £200 fine.

The fine is less than the cost of the insurance...

Same goes for having no TV license (which is rife), and they want to relax it even further!

The whole point of a punishment is to put people off breaking the law in the first place. The secondary point to it is to rehabilitate them, we seem to have completely forgotten about the first part, and seem to think we just need to rehabilitate people by being soft on them?

Then there's the other lie the public is continually fed, of 'determinate sentences', where someone is sentenced to 8 years in prison, except they are usually released in half that time. Just like the case below, it mentions how the offenders were jailed for 8 and 9 years in 2009, but it fails to mention that both of them have already been released... (They live within quarter of a mile of me).

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/110..._journey_back/
Old 16th March 2014, 20:27   #9
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperGB View Post
Umm,

Joe, I don't wish to offend but im sorry to say that YES! she is more of a risk than a speeding motorist.

I am not passing judgement.... in fact..... im sorry I have to. Your partner was punished once by the courts yet she did not learn and committed the same offence again, her having to have a medical indicates it was twice within ten years.

So what's stopping her doing it a third time?

Well, the fact that she cannot get insurance means she is not in a position to drive, either sober or under the influence. So its actually the insurance company that is keeping her from the temptation to do it again.
erm no. whats stopping her doing it again? the fact she doesnt drink anymore and doesnt have the personal issues she had 5 years ago.

not being able to get insurance isnt a deterrent in the slightest to someone who has a drink problem.

she wasnt banned from driving in her native Germany and she didnt drink drive over there when she was banned over here.

the point is she learnt her lesson and changed her life for the better. why should she or anyone else have to pay the price of previous mistakes for the rest of her life?
Old 17th March 2014, 22:20   #10
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Quote:
erm no. whats stopping her doing it again? the fact she doesnt drink anymore and doesnt have the personal issues she had 5 years ago.
Now, I understand the fact that people handle personal issues in different ways and I appreciate that she no longer drinks but will come onto this in a little while

Quote:
not being able to get insurance isnt a deterrent in the slightest to someone who has a drink problem.
Well. yes it does actually. We are talking about a driver, with a car who has no scruples driving under the influence. we are NOT talking about somebody who drives a car in ANY other illegal way, such as having no insurance.

You state that your partner had personal issues, had she not had a car then there would be no chance of her committing the offence. Your logic is saying to me that drivers with a drink problem do not have insurance, please explain further.

Quote:
she wasnt banned from driving in her native Germany and she didnt drink drive over there when she was banned over here.
Please elaborate further, was your partner found to be under the influence whilst driving in the UK on her German licence?

Quote:
the point is she learnt her lesson and changed her life for the better. why should she or anyone else have to pay the price of previous mistakes for the rest of her life?
Did she? Your partner was convicted twice within 10 years for to have to sit a medical especially with having a 3 year disqualification so clearly didn't learn from her first mistake.
There are a number of other possibilities but either way your partner was found to be whats known as a HRO (high risk offender).

So, once again your partner does not drive right now due to the fact that she cannot get insurance. She has a personality which has been proven to weaken under certain life pressures.
Whats to say that she would not lapse again should she face a similar situation?

Why should she pay for her mistake for the rest of her life?
Ask yourself why the parents of a 6 year old child who was mown down by a drunk driver should have to suffer their loss for the rest of their life or indeed, why that innocent child should have to pay with their life.

I was going to close this post, politely, just there, however, should the next statement get me banned then so be it:

It SICKENS me that you have the audacity to be selfish enough to feel so hard done by!
Your partner gets no sympathy from me in relation to the punishment served - she should count her blessings that she only has to live with the difficulty of obtaining insurance and not the fact that she was responsible for killing a child.

Last edited by SapperGB; 17th March 2014 at 22:29..
Closed Thread