Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th February 2014, 12:51   #1
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Default Scottish Independence, practicalities of it?

Today's announcement on the pound got me thinking, what all the other practical things that are shared?

For example the DVLA does it mean that all cars in Scotland would have to be re-registered with SDVLA. ( I wonder if everything would have an S in front of it )

I had a quick skim of Mr Potato Heads white paper, and it says there will be no requirement for everyone to have a Scottish passport, but will other countries accept anyone with a UK passport even when they are not from the UK anymore.

Just wondering
Simon
Old 13th February 2014, 17:06   #2
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Tripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikelsh View Post
Today's announcement on the pound got me thinking, what all the other practical things that are shared?

For example the DVLA does it mean that all cars in Scotland would have to be re-registered with SDVLA. ( I wonder if everything would have an S in front of it )

I had a quick skim of Mr Potato Heads white paper, and it says there will be no requirement for everyone to have a Scottish passport, but will other countries accept anyone with a UK passport even when they are not from the UK anymore.

Just wondering
Simon

Sorry pal but there is a lot of tripe talked about this. Political parties all have their own agendas. A lot of what is being said is just rubbish. Are you really believing there would no chance of a negotiated currency arrangement? Are the chancellors going to say no we are not playing ball. You are not using the pound. (By the way it is part ours!) we are not giving you a share of the national debt Scotland, we are going to keep all of it to ourselves. Would the pound be as stable without oil revenue? Despite what is banded about there is plenty still there! Armed services, same, part ours! Hand it over or negotiate and share? Which is likely? Border controls and show your passport at Gretna?

Simple fact is that neither Labour or Conservative/Lib want us to go. Is that because we are a financial drain or part of the joint income? If we were that much of a financial nightmare it would be good bye, see you sometime!
Labour are on their high horse because without Scottish MPs they would find it difficult to hold power. Mr Osborne because he knows the detrimental effect of losing oil revenues and debt stability would bring to the remaining parts of the UK.

As for our Mr Salmond, well sugar coating there too. There will be difficulties and negotiations that will be difficult. It will not be easy going our own way even with full currency union and so on. Some folk may believe a little pain is inevitable to take control of your own destiny.

If Mr Cameron and Mr Osborne think this latest outburst will put folk off voting yes, they have probably scored a large own goal. I am afraid that them telling us what to do will just annoy people and make it more likely. They are not looked upon at all favourably up here. Politicians all talk a lot of party orientated guff! Oh, how I wish we had some that did what we expect and do their best to represent all of us, both north and South, for us. Not for themselves. Frankly they all make me sick!

What will I do? You know, I just don't know, but the tripe spouted over the last few days has made my yes vote far more likely!

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 17:18   #3
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Blimey Chris you da man .

I want you to stand for Tayport.

Then I would put you in charge of the navy you being a seadog n all.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 17:22   #4
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I cant vote yes. I feel British as well as Scottish - that is the main reason - I think we are one already and splitting one does not leave either part, whole, if you know what I mean.

There are some crucial areas that I , as a businessman, 95% of whose business is generated in the rest of the UK, am concerned with.

If Scotland is independent, we will be a foreign county like Ireland and have import quotas and expensive shipping costs ( I can send a package to Northern Ireland by Royal Mail for £2.60 but the same package to Ireland is almost £10 and takes 5 days longer to get there. As my competitors in England will have less of an import cost than I, I will have to move to England to be able to compete. England is Scotlands biggest market, closely followed by the rest of Europe.

What about NATO - we are too small to defend ourselves when oil becomes scarce and the Russians / Yanks / Chinese want some. Salmond reckons we will still be in NATO but NATO insists that all members allow Nukes to be sighted on their land, something Salmond says will NOT happen.

Also, my European market will disappear if we are not granted membership of the EU. Salmond, again, says, we will be part of EU but the EU are saying different - that Scotland will have to apply like anyone else and the Spanish, whose vote is essential, are already wanting to veto an independent Scotland entry.

Finally, in this ever more competitive world where amalgamation, joining forces, take overs to become larger are what keeps countries and companies going, what is the point of fragmenting to become less of a force on the world stage - I just don't get it?
doopydug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 17:45   #5
bobgrice
Gets stuck in

rover 75 saloon 1.8t

Default scotland

I think we in England should be given a vote to see if we want Scotland to be part of the U.K
Old 13th February 2014, 17:54   #6
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgrice View Post
I think we in England should be given a vote to see if we want Scotland to be part of the U.K
Scotland already is......
and why should just England get that vote - what about Wales and NI ?
Old 13th February 2014, 18:00   #7
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

Tommy Sheridan explains it much better than i could.

If only our MP's showed this much passion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6GsEKrCvgw

I find it hard to argue with anything he says here.
rosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 18:14   #8
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefro View Post
Tommy Sheridan explains it much better than i could.

If only our MP's showed this much passion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6GsEKrCvgw

I find it hard to argue with anything he says here.
He was found guilty of lying in court, remember? He shouldn't be allowed to state "facts" in speeches like this.
Old 13th February 2014, 18:32   #9
rosephus
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 2.0 CDTi 135+

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydug View Post
He was found guilty of lying in court, remember? He shouldn't be allowed to state "facts" in speeches like this.

the court case was nothing to do with his politics per se and nothing to do with the independance issue whatsoever.

cameron and milliband and salmond lie in public everyday and expect us to believe it. i wish they werent allowed to state 'facts' in speeches either.
rosephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2014, 19:51   #10
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Politicians and facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethefro View Post
the court case was nothing to do with his politics per se and nothing to do with the independance issue whatsoever.

cameron and milliband and salmond lie in public everyday and expect us to believe it. i wish they werent allowed to state 'facts' in speeches either.
Don't really go together...politicians and facts!

They are ALL spouting a load of tosh!

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote