Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st May 2013, 18:03   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Plumbing in a washing machine

We're having a new machine delivered in the morning. They are taking the old one away, but not installing the new one.

I don't think it's overly complicated (one hot water feed, one cold water feed, plug it in) but I have a slight concern in that there's no facility to isolate the water supply individually (no taps on the hot or cold pipes)

Luckily the main stop tap is right by the machine, and the feeds come out just above it. Will I be OK to just turn off the main supply, drain the water via the sink taps, and then swap the blue and red fittings over? Or do I have to do something else to stop water coming from the hot side?

Any advice appreciated!
Old 31st May 2013, 18:10   #2
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

If they are taking the old one away, how are they going to disconnect it? if there are no isolation taps then they will be leaving you without water.

In answer to your Q. turn the stop tap off and drain the tank through the taps, the hot one will run for a few mins and you will lose most of your hot water . When you disc the washer pipes there will be a small amount of water. once connected, just turn the stop tap back on, water will come out of the cold taps almost straight away , the hot ones a short while after

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 18:14   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
If they are taking the old one away, how are they going to disconnect it?
Exactly! Well, to be fair, they are not going to disconnect it, I guess I am! (we've paid slightly extra to have the old one removed, but no fitting)

We have a combi boiler, so no worry about losing hot water - however, do I need to worry about the water keeping on coming?!
Old 31st May 2013, 18:15   #4
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
We're having a new machine delivered in the morning. They are taking the old one away, but not installing the new one.

I don't think it's overly complicated (one hot water feed, one cold water feed, plug it in) but I have a slight concern in that there's no facility to isolate the water supply individually (no taps on the hot or cold pipes)

Luckily the main stop tap is right by the machine, and the feeds come out just above it. Will I be OK to just turn off the main supply, drain the water via the sink taps, and then swap the blue and red fittings over? Or do I have to do something else to stop water coming from the hot side?

Any advice appreciated!
you will most probally find your new machine will only have a cold feed to worry about.most new if not all new machines are cold feed only.so instead of using your nice hot water allready in your tank.the machine has to heat it up
Old 31st May 2013, 18:15   #5
E_T_V
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Pull the washer out. Chances are if it is modern (ish) it'll only have one cold fill hose. The new one will almost certainly only have a cold fill hose.

On the end of the flex pipes unless it is a real bodge job there will be isolation valves to isolate the water. Turn these off and then unscrew from the washer end (a tiny amount will spurt out).
E_T_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 18:20   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Combi boiler makes it easier, no tanks to drain, just turn the cold off. As said though are you sure there are no isolation valves where the flexi pipes from the washer connect to the pipes? Also correct is the new one will more than likely be cold fill only

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 31st May 2013 at 18:52..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 18:26   #7
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

and while you are at it fit a isolation valve.get a full bore isolation valve from a decent plummers merchants.they are a compression fit.so quite easy to do.i prefer these over the diy chain store petcocks.as they only have a tiny hole in the middle.and can if you live like me in a hard water area get bunged up.and the screw you use to turn if of can get chewed up or stuck.
Old 31st May 2013, 18:33   #8
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

and don't forget, Read the Instruction manual carefully ref unpacking the appliance, there well could be transit bolts to unscrew before you plumb it in.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 18:38   #9
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

Your new washing machine will be a cold feed only, I would be very surprised if it was both. you will need to purchase one of these a TEE Valve or straight Valve depending on your pipe work. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WASHING-MA...item2c68d18325 and they are real easy to fit.

Last edited by Anthony & Maricel; 31st May 2013 at 18:44..
Anthony & Maricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 20:58   #10
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
and don't forget, Read the Instruction manual carefully ref unpacking the appliance, there well could be transit bolts to unscrew before you plumb it in.
My thoughts exactly Harry. Release the transit bolts, otherwise it will bounce all over the place!

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote