Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2014, 05:49   #21
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

We have to be careful that this discussion does not turn into a "them and us" slanging match. We can all agree what that guy did was stupid beyond belief, but, he did not put that video up because of being proud of what he did, completely the opposite in fact.
I passed my motorcycle test in 1960, since then I have had two motorcycle accidents both caused by a car driver, one who turned right in front of me, and the other a car pulling out of a side road in front of me. Last year two brothers got killed and are resting in the cemetery near where I take my dog for a walk, a car pulled out in front of them, and according to the Police they were not speeding. I passed my car test also in 1960 and have also only has two accidents, these also were because cars pulled out in front of me.
What this video shows is a biker who was not as good as he thought he was, statistics show the the majority of biker accidents are caused by running too wide on a left hand bend/corner because the biker was going too fast.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 06:43   #22
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Looks like he was filming the run for you tube and came a cropper. Very lucky there wasn't a tree or street furniture there. Hit that and you're a goner. Being immature and riding a fast bike don't mix. Hence why most long term bikers are how they are.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:31   #23
Frameside
Avid contributor

MG ZTT CDTI, MG ZT 180+ Sorts auto prototype.

very lucky the wire stranded fence did not work like a cheese wire!
What a prat! What state was the driver of the Merc in we wonder?

A
Frameside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:45   #24
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

My understanding - having had this clip linked from another source - is that Cheshire Constabulary are dealing with this now.
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:07   #25
Rumply
Loves to post

ZT

Clip has been doing the rounds on "T'internerd".

Rider was extremely lucky, I've had the miss fortune to see similar events with less positive outcomes.

To all the none "bikers" on here, as with car drivers, don't judge a group by an individual.

If been riding motorcycle since 14, am an advanced motorcyclist, and love anything to do with motorcycles, but I would not call myself a "biker".

I do see more of this behavior near me, as these types of rider are drawn to my part of the country and its wonderful roads. And they do think they are immortal. I have no sympathy for them.
Rumply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 09:39   #26
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frameside View Post
very lucky the wire stranded fence did not work like a cheese wire!
What a prat! What state was the driver of the Merc in we wonder?

A
The wire central reservations do, there aren't many wire barriers as most are now armco or concrete. But I held a conversation with a coroner who told me about the wire barrier cutting a motorcyclist into bits!!

I would be surprised if the police don't issue points and a hefty fine too, which the rider should be pleased with and be happy to pay, seeing as he is not dead and all.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:44   #27
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

What a berk!!!

I can only repeat what others have said, his riding was utter reckless and the reasons why have already been posted.

I would like to add another - inexperience. That bend could have been taken faster but the rider is/was a novice.
His line was wrong and he tipped out of the bend far too early. inexperience is another reason why he didn't tighten the turn - he had plenty of opportunity to do so.

All my personal opinion of course.
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:00   #28
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I always wanted a Bike as a teenager,but my folks said no way!! Not until you leave home and get your own place. How pleased am I that they took this stance, I had a few bumps with cars as a young driver,no one ever got hurt as a result, so I didn't take my bike test until I was 31, by which time I had got the "idiot" out of me, well most of it anyway lol. I did have off roaders for a few years prior to this,and it was that which taught me how bikes can bite. So after I passed my bike test, myself and a mate hired a couple for a day and went up the Northumberland Coast, had a brill day and just took our time ,enjoying the scenery and having the pleasure of riding a motorcycle. To me, this is what motorcycling is all about. If it's speed you're after,go to a local racing circuit when there's a track day on.
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:34   #29
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanRaven View Post
I'm glad I have never had the desire to own a bike, too easy for it all to end, I know the same is with cars but they are more forgiving!
Me too.

My father and grandfather, both keen motorcyclists in their younger days (pre World War II), instilled in me how dangerous motorcycles are, primarily because you are performing a balancing act. One mistake and you are off, whereas a car is stable with four wheels, plus a nice bodyshell to protect the occupants.

Motorcycles and pushbikes, which were primarily used as cheap transport, almost completely died out about 30 years ago, mainly through inconvenience of use, compared to a car. But in the last few years there has been a resurgence, partly on beating traffic congestion grounds, partly on health grounds, but to some extent, on thrill seeking grounds. Motorcycles are certainly not cheap any more.

As has been said, not all motorcyclists are mad, but they are vulnerable.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 06:14   #30
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

A public road is no place for racing. Its just a question of how soon you learn that. Doing it on a motorcycle suggests a strong belief in reincarnation.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote