Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2014, 16:52   #11
chrishumphries
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 connoisseur CDTI TOUR & ZTT+ CDTi Tourer - both in rare starlight silver

My recently previous employers had a rule that if you were sick for any period of time you lost that proportion of your holiday entitlement because you did not attend work to accrue it . I recently had a month off following an accident caused by a broken safety switch on my mill. I was nt best pleased to find I was not allowed to claim back the three days compulsory holiday taken over Christmas , and I lost an additional two days holiday for taking a month off for an accident caused by their negligence. An insurance claim is on the horizon !
chrishumphries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 18:13   #12
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
I understand all that and I'm really pleased that you are a Cancer survivor!

I'm just saying that after 6 months off on the sick, forcing the issue in the current job market might not be the wisest thing to do!

Hope you get it and that it doesn't cause you any problems!

I understand your point here, but surely that's what rules are there for, to make sure there is no ambiguity. Too easy for both employee's and employers to exploit the other party otherwise.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 18:28   #13
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
I understand your point here, but surely that's what rules are there for, to make sure there is no ambiguity. Too easy for both employee's and employers to exploit the other party otherwise.
And that's exactly what employers want, staff to shut up and say nothing because of "the current job market". Employment law is just that LAW, regardless of economic climate.
Mikeal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 19:27   #14
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Don't quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeal1 View Post
And that's exactly what employers want, staff to shut up and say nothing because of "the current job market". Employment law is just that LAW, regardless of economic climate.
Don't quite see the issue here. He was off seriously ill. That is no holiday, I can tell you! He IS entitled to his accrued holidays. End of.

Been there, fortunately not cancer but seriously I'll.

You have my support mate.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 19:36   #15
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
Don't quite see the issue here. He was off seriously ill. That is no holiday, I can tell you! He IS entitled to his accrued holidays. End of.

Been there, fortunately not cancer but seriously I'll.

You have my support mate.

Chris
You don't need to tell me. He is my dad.

I was merely pointing out the fact that staff should not be afraid to stand their ground regardless of the economic climate.
Mikeal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 19:44   #16
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

I would like to think that loyalty swings both ways but how wrong can you sometimes be, I realise that the UK is struggling financially but a decent employer would surely have let you carry the leave over by checking the facts first as you did to be sure of their ground before refusing.

Blimey anyone would think you had been swinging the lead, you had the big C for Christs sake so well done for standing up for yourself !

Look forward to shaking your hand at the next nano meet and congratulations on winning both fights !

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)

Last edited by trebor; 1st March 2014 at 19:47..
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 22:32   #17
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

My experience is that loyalty never swings equally both ways. Some employers are better than others but none are loyal to their staff in the same way as they expect loyalty. I have a fairly good employer (thankfully) but they still don't go the 'whole hog' as you would say. One thing I did find out this year though is not only can you not lose holiday accruement due to illness: but also that if you happen to fall ill during a holiday that not only should you notify your employer, but that the holiday doesn't actually count as being taken! e.g. you book a week's holiday off work only to get gastroenteritis or something and be ill all week, notify your employer as you would had you been expected at work (daily). When you come back off the sick you still have that weeks holiday to re-book!

In fact the page outlines that and the carry over of accrued if off sick.
https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

Quote:
Statutory holiday entitlement is built up (accrued) while an employee is off work sick (no matter how long they’re off).
Any statutory holiday entitlement that isn’t used because of illness can be carried over into the next leave year.
If the employer agrees, employees can choose to take paid holiday while on sick leave. For example, because they don’t qualify for sick pay. Any rules relating to sick leave will still apply. Also, if an employee is ill just before or during their leave, they can take it as sick leave and take the missed leave at a later date.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 22:58   #18
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I'm glad that you have regained your health and that you stood up for your rights - despite the current climate.

Sadly this is not uncommon and as such I have had to escalate many such cases for my members up to senior management to get accrued holidays paid.
This and other issues is why our membership is on the up
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 00:42   #19
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riclin View Post
Hi all,
Don't know if I'm posting this in the right place? (can a mod please move it if necc,thanks)
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 00:56   #20
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Glad you had a good result although you didn't need the stress after everything you have been through.

Employers these days really do take the biscuit, im currently in the process of drafting up a letter relating to shift changes being forced without carrying out the correct (lawful) protocol.
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote