Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareim View Post
Torrents :P
Shhh, Mums the word
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:21   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w44nty View Post
I shall have to enquire about it as well.

If I want to download a movie in HD it takes hours,how much quicker is it,my telephone lines are fed to my bungalow by overhead wires will that make a difference
You really need to see what your current speed is, to see how much of a difference it will make. Over head lines are more susceptible to noise than underground ones, the longer the run, the more susceptible.

We are 1/2 mile from the exchange, have a mix of underground /over head and get 20Mb speeds, but connection speed is not the end of the story - It also depends upon the contention and the back bone. Its no good having a good fast link to the exchange, if it slows up at the exchange and from the exchange to the data source.

We normally get 15Mb on tests, but sometimes it can fall to 5Mb when things are busy. Try this - http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/?&again

Or better this - http://www.speedtest.net/

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 2nd January 2014 at 16:24..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:39   #33
persuer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE CDTI

Well in my line of business I hear all the horror stories from Bt,Sky and talk talk customers but I am sure other companies hear about us lol.

Sometimes when you call customer services in any company you will sometimes get the one person who has no intention of helping you if that's the case just ask to disconnect, believe me the next lot WILL try to help you.

I have had internet services from a couple of companies but personally I know who I prefer regarding speeds ect... and that is not because I work for them.

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
persuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:22   #34
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

It seems that sky are correct in their denial of the offer

This screenshot has come from sky, it says that as an existing customer you are entitled to a free wifi booster - the other parts of the offer are for new customers

As for Infinity speeds and how long it takes to download a HD movie - 7 minutes was my last download - please note the screenshot has been set so no file names are viewable, but I can assure you this is a yet to be released movie. - The elapsed time is the movie running time and NOT the download time (work that out by GB divided by MB/s).

And a Speedtest (ping is rather nice)

Forgot to add - am waiting for the 300Meg trial
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:38   #35
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

One word - retentions. I phone virgin once a year and tell them I am leaving. I get put through to retentions and offered a better deal. Just managed to get my mum and dad upgraded to wireless router for free with a faster connection and a lower monthly payment!
Alan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:57   #36
arodriguez
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8T SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_G View Post
One word - retentions. I phone virgin once a year and tell them I am leaving. I get put through to retentions and offered a better deal. Just managed to get my mum and dad upgraded to wireless router for free with a faster connection and a lower monthly payment!
What he said. Just threaten to leave and ask for cancellations. Those guys have the real power to offer you the deals. It's the same with the mobile phone companies. If they won't play ball then by all means leave and sign up with Talk Talk or some other provider. I've heard nothing but criticism for Sky Broadband.

I'm with Sky for TV and HD but use Talk Talk for unlimited phone (inc Europe) and basic broadband (8Mb) which is fine. They do fibre too but I don't need the bandwidth.
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:00   #37
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by w44nty View Post
I have been with Sky for years,it is their biggest downfall ,looking after exsisting customers.

I rang last year and told them I wished to cancel my contract because I said I could not afford it as I was a pensioner,within seconds I was offered 6 months half price.

Try it you have nothing to lose
Best advice as above. If you can live without it for a week or two, they'll be all over you with offers. There are no perks for being a loyal customer.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:15   #38
Gren 24
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
Thanks for the link.... but as an existing customer, I get charged £20 a month (not the £10 shown) and a £50 activation fee to top it off.

Might be time for another phone call and see if someone else knows the deals lol
What I did was.

When they said no deals I said would you please put me through to some one that deals with me cancelling all my sky services with you. they put me on hold for a few seconds then this other chap came on ask what was wrong so told him.He said he would check then said I could have the deal I wanted.

Worth a try

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

all the best for the new year
Gren 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:24   #39
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren 24 View Post
What I did was.

When they said no deals I said would you please put me through to some one that deals with me cancelling all my sky services with you. they put me on hold for a few seconds then this other chap came on ask what was wrong so told him.He said he would check then said I could have the deal I wanted.

Worth a try

Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

all the best for the new year
Sounds a plan Will give them a call and see what happens tomorrow.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:41   #40
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think I must be the only person for it not to work. Tried it, 'yes sir when would you like to leave?' Both times

Just tried the speed test; dwnload 3.35 upload 0.39. Not brilliant is it?
topman is offline   Reply With Quote