Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st July 2013, 19:40   #71
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperGB View Post
As much as I love the 260 I'm in the 'too much for too little' camp im afraid.

If i was looking for a big V'ee then at half the budget of the 260 I would be looking at a 2000-2003 750 V12. I had one a few years ago and loved it to bits.

Then if you want to stretch to the average price that the 260 seems to sell for then you would be looking at a 760.

Now tell me that the 260's engineering/tech/build quality/value for money is better than this....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p
Had a look at the link and you should be able to get a 260 fot that money.
Lots more character and a badge to be proud of.

And you can drive it in any of the motorway lanes, not just the overtaking one
Plus it has working indicators............

Stigma is a bad thing aint it
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 19:50   #72
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post

Stigma is a bad thing aint it
If it was that bad a thing then we wouldn't be driving MGR cars would we
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 19:59   #73
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1POWERACK View Post
Having looked at the posts I can say that I agree, BMW were very well made cars, years ahead in engineering quality, but that all finished with the E34 model, having had 3 BMW 525IX Touring, they were light years ahead in quality and refinement, not so about the newer models.
MGZT 260 having had 3 and currently have a supercharged ZTT, they hold there prices because they are a very good car especially for long trips, and in supercharged form will eat BMW's, and before you drag them down try owning one, then we will respect your comments based on ownership
The problem is trhat while i dont doubt they are lovely cars to drive, they are still 75s and ZTs so you cant pull the wool over our eyes.

We know they have weakness in terms of build quality, refinement, and modernity and those issues are shared by the V8s, which also have their own issues on top the basic ones we all have.

ALL new cars have quality issues because they have to use horrible, easily recyclable materials. If MG-R were still making cars they would have the same problems. Many would say the facelifts do anyway.
Old 21st July 2013, 20:14   #74
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
The problem is trhat while i dont doubt they are lovely cars to drive, they are still 75s and ZTs so you cant pull the wool over our eyes.

We know they have weakness in terms of build quality, refinement, and modernity and those issues are shared by the V8s, which also have their own issues on top the basic ones we all have.

ALL new cars have quality issues because they have to use horrible, easily recyclable materials. If MG-R were still making cars they would have the same problems. Many would say the facelifts do anyway.
So what are the weaknesses that make the 75/ZT so different from other cars?
Old 21st July 2013, 20:14   #75
1gp
I really should get out more.......

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

Quote:

What made you buy a mgzt
1gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 20:21   #76
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gp View Post
What made you buy a mgzt
£1000 car w/ £100 badge vs £2000 badge w/ £100 car ?.................maybe

Just thinking about all that horribly recyclable materials that made the Audi R8...............must be the worst car ever built

Last edited by VMax1000; 21st July 2013 at 20:24..
Old 21st July 2013, 20:21   #77
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I know it sounds like im on a downer on these, but im not really, im just pointing out the cold reality. Believe me id still have one. Im just saying that from a logical point of view its not the best car you can have for that money of its type. From the publics point of view (of all ZTs and 75s) the German cars are better made, more durable, more efficient, and more modern, even if its not entirely true.

I can only judge by the classified I see, but they dont seem to be easy to sell and the price is held up by owners asking a lot more than the market is really willing to pay, and then not selling when they don't get what they want. Thats not really market forces.
Old 21st July 2013, 20:27   #78
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
£1000 car w/ £100 badge vs £2000 badge w/ £100 car ?.................maybe
I dont think any of us really believe that. I love these cars, and im sure most of us do love our cars, but we have to be realistic. In a purely technical sense they were as good as most things in their price range when new, at best, not better. They feel special, but only if you are charmed by them. If you arent they are just another average car.
Old 21st July 2013, 20:28   #79
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
I know it sounds like im on a downer on these, but im not really, im just pointing out the cold reality. Believe me id still have one. Im just saying that from a logical point of view its not the best car you can have for that money of its type. From the publics point of view (of all ZTs and 75s) the German cars are better made, more durable, more efficient, and more modern, even if its not entirely true.

I can only judge by the classified I see, but they dont seem to be easy to sell and the price is held up by owners asking a lot more than the market is really willing to pay, and then not selling when they don't get what they want. Thats not really market forces.
Marketing.................not something Rover got right

Cars are very much a personal thing. I happen to like my ZT V8 and would struggle to find something to replace it with.
If that time comes it would probably be an Aston DB7 or DB9, equally flawed in the eyes of most.

I can't see the charm of a BMW or the appeal or a Merc. It's just a badge on an overpriced car.
As for quality............try them when they're 10 years old....................

Each to their own but quality is subjective....................

Last edited by VMax1000; 21st July 2013 at 20:33..
Old 21st July 2013, 20:32   #80
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Marketing.................not something Rover got right
True, but come on, its not just marketing. You only have to be in a BMW to feel that its more solid and higher quality. Whether you like the design can often cloud the issue, thats the problem.

To me the ZT interior is a much nicer place to be than a BMW, BUT the gaps are bigger, the plastics are often cheaper, and the seats have poor quality trim. Its obvious a mile away.