Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th June 2013, 11:19   #31
carlalou
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190 Biomorphic

i used BP ultimate in mine, just to try after reading this thread.

result....its not going to be having anymore of that

noticed no difference in performance and got less miles

membership number 001735
carlalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:29   #32
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Using the Tesco's 5p off vouchers I ran 3 full tanks for their diesel and using brim to brim calculations had 56.9 MPG. I have since used 2 tanks of shell v-power and managed 62.4 MPG. journeys have been the same for all measurements (my commute to work)
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:30   #33
TheSamPeople
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club SE

Seems very hit and miss tried shell fuel save for a few tanks and didn't notice to much difference still in mid twenties around town with my 1.8 may try BP ultimate but can't see it doing much wish it did tho lol

Last edited by TheSamPeople; 27th June 2013 at 11:33..
TheSamPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:34   #34
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

A lot of people post to say that they have tried regular fuel, then premium fuel, and it's made a difference, or it hasn't made a difference, or it gives a few more mpg buit is more expensive etc.

Two things to say. Firstly, whilst you should use brim-to-brim rather than the dashboard mpg readout (at least on my car the dashboard is about 25% more optimistic than brim to brim calculations), you shouldn't base experience on one tank - I only use premium for my car yet depending on my driving patterns and time of year, consumption have been anywhere from 19 to 27 mpg, average is 23mpg over the past 12 months. So using a single tank's experience won't tell you anything useful.

Secondly, if you think you get better mileage but pay more for the premium stuff you shouldn't only be looking at mpg but should calculate ppm (pence per mile). I haven't done a comparison on my Rover since I only use premium but on my previous car (a 2 litre Mazda) where I compared several readings of regular and premium, I found the cost per mile was 1 or 2p less if I used the premium since the extra efficiency outweighed the increased pump price.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 13:50   #35
tonewheeldude
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

I had an 800 coupe for many years.

It would not run correctly on BP fuel or supermarket brands. The idle speed would increase at standstill but stall as you ried to pull away. At first I thought it was a fault with the car, but as my local is a Shell garage i soon worked out it was the fuel. The car ran perfectly on Shell or Esso fuels, but anything else and the problem would return. One time (after using shell for over a year) when on holiday, I decided to try BP fuel just to see...guess what, within 15 minutes the idle problem was back. A fill up with shell and after a couple of days and it was back to normal. Over the period of owning the car I tried different fuels between the Shell and Esso fill up - same result. Maybe there was a problem with the car and the poor quality fuels showed it up - who knows.

I never use petrol from BP, tesco, asda etc. Only Shell or Esso.

But with diesel I don't realy nitice much difference
tonewheeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 14:18   #36
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSamPeople View Post
Seems very hit and miss tried shell fuel save for a few tanks and didn't notice to much difference still in mid twenties around town with my 1.8 may try BP ultimate but can't see it doing much wish it did tho lol
I can easily tell from the sound of the engine on my 1.8 whether I have filled with VPower or supermarket fuel.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 14:33   #37
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

I started using 'Super-Unleaded' in about 2002 I think it was - Texaco at the time - never looked back!

ps. And I've mentioned this on quite a few Forums, including this one, and was told I was wasting my money, amongst other things... So I don't bother anymore, (mentioning that is) - their loss...
Old 27th June 2013, 15:31   #38
TheSamPeople
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Club SE

May give v-power a go considering its only a couple of quid difference on tank, may work may not, hasn't shell just brought out another special fuel?

Last edited by TheSamPeople; 27th June 2013 at 15:34..
TheSamPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 22:33   #39
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrockin View Post
I didn't find any difference between the tesco normal 95 and the tesco 99 octane, but I have found a difference using the esso super unleaded which I think is 97. Next time ill try esso normal and see what the results are. If I can get the same mpg but for 5p a litre less ill be even happier!
I do not think that you will get the same results with Esso "normal" unleaded.

Apart from the additive package, Esso Supreme does not contain 5% ethanol like the normal Esso product.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 08:32   #40
ksilver
Loves to post

ZT-T 385

Supermarket fuel tends to be cheaper because they don't have the additive content that branded fuels have. If you care for your car you should avoid them.
ksilver is offline   Reply With Quote