Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th June 2013, 01:15   #21
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

It tickles me when people proclaim that this guy stood for the abolishment of apartheid yet fail to realise that The MK which he co-founded murdered, almost 150 black civilians, then fail to see that the 'legitimate target' kill rate was less than 7% of that figure. these are published figures and it is thought that the civilian death toll could be as many as 300.......

Of which Nelson Mandela pleaded guilty to 157 acts. but was never directly charged with murder
Lets take a quick look at just one of the many charges brought at his trial:
The preparation, manufacture and use of explosives—for the purpose of committing acts of violence and destruction in the aforesaid Republic, (the preparation and manufacture of explosives, according to evidence submitted, included 210,000 hand grenades, 48,000 anti-personnel mines, 1,500 time devices, 144 tons of ammonium nitrate, 21.6 tons of aluminum powder and a ton of black powder).

that's a hell of a lot of things that go bang! but then again it was all for a good cause, wasn't it? well no, it wasn't. The fact is that even Amnesty International refused to take on Nelson Mandela’s case because they asserted that he was no political prisoner but had committed numerous violent crimes and had had a fair trial and a reasonable sentence.

Why not make a comparison to Bin Laden? Or any other terrorist for that matter?
Bin Laden founded a militant group - as did Nelson Mandela. Al'Qaeda designated military and civilian as targets - as did MK. Both organisations found favour in bombings and mines (IED's) to fight their cause.
Old 25th June 2013, 02:53   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Yes, yes, yes you have put together an argument that NM was no saint in the struggle against apartheid and the comparison to Bin Laden I see the points you have made (which I do not agree with, but that is the nature of having an opinion). In relation to Richards post where are you going with this? or is it that the point you made is that NM was a terrorist who was tried and never convicted of murder and that the matter is now laid to rest?
Old 25th June 2013, 04:47   #23
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard680 View Post
There are other forums to join in with those that disagree with the ANC, but such conversation is well outside the scope of this thread.
I have to agree with this sentiment, NM is no saint it would seem, and the posts thus far have raised awareness of his history and background.

This is not the place to argue the rights and wrongs of his politics, that will always polarise views and lead to raised voices. We've had enough of that on the forums recently I think most will agree. Please folks do not turn this hot potato into a bun fight. Leave that for other platforms

P.S sorry for the food analogy, but I missed supper last night
Old 25th June 2013, 08:21   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Fair comment and timely advice. Paul I hope you managed to get a 'pick me up' on the way to work
Old 25th June 2013, 08:50   #25
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Attention had been drawn to the fact that this thread had strayed towards political comment and was in danger of contravening FAQ 15.

Comment has continued, a post has been removed, therefore I have no option but to close the thread.
Closed Thread