Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th June 2013, 23:32   #31
Timbo.P6
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR T SE WITH MISSING SATNAV ROVER P6 2000 SC

wonder if someone will be watching the numerous cameras on the motorways,and inform the police straight away, so that the police can catch the road hoggers ?
Timbo.P6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 23:43   #32
eurorover
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Where I live the M4 is two lane so i will just stay in the ouside and the first lane should be for lorries caravanners and slow cars. If you are doing 70mph you will be in and out like a yoyo causing allsorts of problems. people not letting you out because you have had to slow down to 50mph behind the lorry or caravan waiting. you could argue it on safety grounds
eurorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 00:27   #33
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

Talking

£100 fine for bad driving? That's a bit sexist, isn't it!

*disclaimer: heard on the '10 o'clock live' show tonight.*
Old 6th June 2013, 00:32   #34
generic_username
Loves to post

ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurorover View Post
Where I live the M4 is two lane so i will just stay in the ouside and the first lane should be for lorries caravanners and slow cars. If you are doing 70mph you will be in and out like a yoyo causing allsorts of problems. people not letting you out because you have had to slow down to 50mph behind the lorry or caravan waiting. you could argue it on safety grounds
I just hope you don't use too much fuel!
generic_username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 08:23   #35
damienp
This is my second home

skoda estate

I think we should be able to drive in what ever lane we want. All drivers are supposed to have their wits about them so it shouldn't matter what lane you're in. You'd be free to overtake, undertake, whatever. It's hardly rocket science. It gets under my skin that everything in this country is about making money and skanking people for what they've got.
It's the same with the argument that cyclist should pay road tax. Why? Councils maintain roads and i pay my council tax - so i should be free to use the road. Car tax goes on emissions, and a bicycle doesn't create any. My car tax is paid, but yet its just sat at home doing nothing - so i should get my money back. Sorry, rant over.
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 08:34   #36
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Road tax being based on emissions is arbitrary. Its used as a punishment to try to help meet pointless carbon targets. It being based on emissions is no more relevant than it being based on the size of your feet! It has nothing to do with the roads or road use. The tax was supposed to be about building and maintaining the network, not about what gasses we give off. In my view ALL road users should pay, the pedestrians paying via council tax already.

I dont have a problem with the tailgating aspect of this as such, however lane discipline is a strangely British issue, when there need not be one. If we taught people to be observant it wouldn't be an issue at all. We should be able to undertake, it works in other countries, countries with safer roads than ours.

My other problem with this is that its not just about tailgating and lanes, other aspects of driving are covered as well, and frankly ive seen some very poor police driving, I do not want these people to have the ability to fine us when they do far worse when it suits them.
Old 6th June 2013, 13:55   #37
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

I remember a few years ago I was in a work mates car on the A406 in the outside lane when a car we were just about to overtake pulled infront of us, my colleague sounded his horn and when the car eventually pulled back over he waved his police badge at us like it was his right to drive like a moron because he was a policeman.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 14:48   #38
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geegee View Post
yet everywhere you go, its an overly common sight, why,well there are no police on the roads to enforce the laws due to cutbacks,
The cutbacks are used by the Police and other public bodies as an excuse for not doing their job. The Police have been progressively avoiding doing their job of 'law enforcement' for several years, long before this recession. They would rather spend several hours at a fatal road accident, treating it as a crime scene and closing the road, than dealing with the dross that cause so many problems for the rest of us.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 16:08   #39
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

I commute 52 miles daily all of which is on the shockingly congested A406 and A13.

These Roads are major London roads, the parts I use are pretty much all dual carriageway and either a 40 or 50 mph limit.

For those that don't realise how congested they are, a 9am start at work requires me to leave at 7am with arrival at anywhere between 8:45 and 9:15am (the same travel time exists when travelling home) so pretty awful for a 26 mile journey.

Luckily I work shifts with a 6am start so my journey takes 40mins.

I hate both outside lane hoggers (not using middle lane as a terminology as for the most, there isn't one my part of the 406) and I detest tailgaters.

The roads are obviously much quieter at 5am so I am going to use this as my typical daily drive report.

The A13 is monitored with SPECS cameras and the 406 with GATSO.

The A13 due to the cameras, has me no option other than to travel within the speed limit (however others often do not ) but the A406 gives me the oppertunity me to travel quicker, along with the bulk of the other traffic at say 60 to 65mph in the 50 areas. I drive safely at speed and Always leave a MINIMUM of a 2 second gap.

what really gets my goat is that once traffic in the outside lane begins to slow, (usually by someone 800 yards ahead travelling at 45 pulling into the outside lane) people in the nearside lane seem to think my two second gap is theirs and move over.
THEN I BECOME THE TAILGATER.

so I drop back to a safe distance and the same happens again, and again, and again.

so if, in time, CCTV is to be used to enforce tailgaters (as was discussed on LBC radio yesterday) I can see myself getting a ticket along with the car in front who has just moved into my safety zone who is tailgating the car that I was behind.

IF this was to be the case, and they had a camera on every gantry or bridge that I pass, I would be disqualified half way to work.

SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 16:13   #40
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperGB View Post
I commute 52 miles daily all of which is on the shockingly congested A406 and A13.

These Roads are major London roads, the parts I use are pretty much all dual carriageway and either a 40 or 50 mph limit.

For those that don't realise how congested they are, a 9am start at work requires me to leave at 7am with arrival at anywhere between 8:45 and 9:15am (the same travel time exists when travelling home) so pretty awful for a 26 mile journey.

Luckily I work shifts with a 6am start so my journey takes 40mins.

I hate both outside lane hoggers (not using middle lane as a terminology as for the most, there isn't one my part of the 406) and I detest tailgaters.

The roads are obviously much quieter at 5am so I am going to use this as my typical daily drive report.

The A13 is monitored with SPECS cameras and the 406 with GATSO.

The A13 due to the cameras, has me no option other than to travel within the speed limit (however others often do not ) but the A406 gives me the oppertunity me to travel quicker, along with the bulk of the other traffic at say 60 to 65mph in the 50 areas. I drive safely at speed and Always leave a MINIMUM of a 2 second gap.

what really gets my goat is that once traffic in the outside lane begins to slow, (usually by someone 800 yards ahead travelling at 45 pulling into the outside lane) people in the nearside lane seem to think my two second gap is theirs and move over.
THEN I BECOME THE TAILGATER.

so I drop back to a safe distance and the same happens again, and again, and again.

so if, in time, CCTV is to be used to enforce tailgaters (as was discussed on LBC radio yesterday) I can see myself getting a ticket along with the car in front who has just moved into my safety zone who is tailgating the car that I was behind.

IF this was to be the case, and they had a camera on every gantry or bridge that I pass, I would be disqualified half way to work.

Then you could cycle to work and be there on time every day!
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote