Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd November 2019, 19:18   #11
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
i can see this being the thin edge of the sword.
Council beauracrats trying to be enlightened greens.
We have councils over here trying to enact rules no one wants

How true! A few local authorities have joined the C40 initiative besides implementing government mandates for the Paris accord commitments!

Off the top of my head the last time I looked Greater Manchester,Oxford & Birmingham, oh and Scotland.
The programmes presented by the initiative include everything from the full electrification of company fleets by 2030, up to cities who plan to solely purchase electric buses by 2025. The climate alliance now compromises a total of more than 60 members.

They've just implemented it in Spain & all eyes are on Catalonia.
Guess who is going to fund it!!!
For the new carbon tax coming in, the government expects to add about 150 million euros a year to its budgets.

Catalonia wants to levy the carbon tax for 2019 for the first time in November 2020. It will then initially apply to vehicles emitting 120 grams of CO2 per kilometre or more. Vehicles that emit more than 95 g CO2 per kilometre will then be taxed for 2020. In practice, owners of a Porsche Cayenne with CO2 emissions of 265 g/km, for example, will have to pay a tax of €127 for 2019 and €176 for the following year.

Looks like my Kia Niro hybrid which emits 95g/CO2/Km will have to pay the carbon tax after next year if they go by that initiative.

As Dylan sang! The times they are a changin'

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:31   #12
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Just yet another reason for me to not bother visiting Bristol, and I was born there and all my family are still there! (mostly on the outskirts though). As long as they don't try incorporating the M4/M5 into any anti diesel scheme.
When the centre of Bristol dies because no one goes there, local councillors will form a new committee to find out why.
Earlier this year we took our 2 granddaughters for a long weekend in Bristol. I must say we found loads to do within walking distance of our hotel apart from the Zoo which was a taxi ride.
We drove to the hotel. Why? Because one of them had a health condition that I would not expect her to suffer on public transport. The car was safe, private and comfortable for her. I have no doubt we would have thought again about the trip and maybe not gone if my LPG Rover 75 was banned from the City. I realise not everyone has to factor health into their decisions. I spent a small fortune in 3 days there. Can a City afford to put doubt in people’s minds? More importantly, as I have suggested, can the City provide an alternative such as Oxford’s park and ride which works so well?
This dilemma is going to take many years to unravel.
Old 3rd November 2019, 19:48   #13
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I have used the park and ride schemes in Oxford, York and Durham, and they worked well for me, a relatively fit and healthy person. If Bristol council is not going to find mass revolt on its hands, it needs to ensure that suitable and adequate (or better)public transport is available before imposing this harsh decree. For visitors unable to cope with trams, buses etc, there should be hireable evs in the same park and ride car parks. I was very impressed by the integrated green transport systems in Lisbon when when I visited this year. From the same bus terminal, you could hire electric bikes or electric buggies (with driver). It just takes a little imagination and a "can-do" attitude.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 20:16   #14
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Until there is a suitable alternative to driving through a city it will not work.
Look at the brilliant park and ride system in Oxford. So good we plan to use it every time we go there.
Parking is free. Bus charges a couple of £ each return journey. Takes about 15 minutes. You could of course walk if you have the time.
Cheaper than parking charges, no hassle finding a place to park, someone else does the driving and you can be there all day with no extra charge.
If the car was banned outright in Cheltenham centre tomorrow it would be fantastic. Not because of the climate warrior clan of which I am not a member but the experience of walking through a town centre with no traffic.
We should protect our town and city centres by removing vehicles altogether and giving us a better experience with al fresco dining and much much more. Who wants to eat a cream tea with a bus flying past?
Ball crocks to the environment, the high street and its traders are dying because we are not changing it fast enough. Make it a destination place not a chore. How many of us dread going to the city or town centre because it’s an awful place to go?
Totally agree about alternative means.While in Spain we did a 40 min journey on local bus for 1.50 euro. Back home the price for a 20 min journey into Merthyr is over £3. This price makes it cheaper for even one person to go by car.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 23:25   #15
oldie
Loves to post

Connoisseur SE v8 auto '54

Will diesel "ad-blue" compliant cars be forbidden?
oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 23:33   #16
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post
According to Gnu, the OP, - YES! But you have until March 2021 at least, so get lobbying -they may be persuaded to rethink.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:51   #17
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldie View Post

Yes it's a blanket ban on all privately owned diesel vehicles.

Quote from the LocalGov site.

"It would mean a ban on all privately-owned diesel vehicles together with a charging zone for non-compliant commercial vehicles such as buses, taxis, HGVs and LGVs."

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 18:52   #18
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Only cars? What about the "dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide" from vans, HGVs, buses and coaches?

It's always the private motorist who pays.

Simon
Because there are more private motorists to fine
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 20:45   #19
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

You couldnt make it up!
I hope to remain driving socially unacceptable diesels for many more years to come. When they ban them from certain cities I simply wont go there and I suspect others wont either, then they can whinge about their city centre traders going out of business!
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2019, 15:24   #20
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

As predicted, there is a strong movement against this proposal, I think they will have to use a more phased approach. I'd be annoyed at having to take £2,000 against a new EV for scrapping my £1000 CDT, let alone if I had £20K+ tied up in a recent Euro6 diesel, that only contributes CO2, like any IC engine.