Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th January 2012, 16:58   #1
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Default How To - Removing Inlet Manifold (Diesel)

Remove the engine cover (3 bolts):

Remove the air intake (2 screws and it slides off) - if yours is unmodified you may have the bellows to deal with as well (another 4 bolts):

Remove the following:
1 - Captive bolts (x8)
2 - Nuts (x4) - you might need a long reach socket for this
3 - Bolt (x1) - be careful not to lose the washer!
4 - Rubber wiring grommet (x1), just pops out
5 - MAP sensor plug (x1) - push the metal clip in and pull the plug down
6 - Bolts (x4) - I have an EGR bypass, so yours may look slightly different, but the bolts the same. You may find it easier to remove the hose (one jubilee clip) for access.

Now to remove, simply pull up. There are 8 (orange) gaskets - they will probably be solid (thanks to the soot) but make sure you don't drop them into the engine!

You might find it doesn't want to move, but it will - it's just years of soot build up holding it in place. Rocking should loosen it, as well as showing you it's not still bolted in!

Haynes recommend replacing the gaskets, but they are ~£10 each (yes, £10 for what is basically an O-Ring of which there are 8!) so I didn't bother.

You should be left with this (minus the tape):

And the inlet manifold itself (you can see where the gaskets would be - I put them out of the way for safe keeping):

Refitting is the reverse of removal - but be careful on the nuts, the bolts they go over aren't very strong and it's very easy to break the bolt in half!

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk.
The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of this How-To can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following this How-To

Last edited by Dragrad; 30th July 2015 at 20:56..
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 20:53   #2
75tourer
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto

Good how to- will save this.
I'm guessing you were taking it off to clean the gunk out. How are you planning to clean it?. I used carburretor cleaner on my EGR and the gunk from that was a nightmare- took a couple of weeks until my hands were clean again. When cleaning I'm guessing the MAP sensor is housed in the manifold- how can you clean the manifold without contaminating the MAP?- Cheers
75tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 21:01   #3
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75tourer View Post
Good how to- will save this.
I'm guessing you were taking it off to clean the gunk out. How are you planning to clean it?. I used carburretor cleaner on my EGR and the gunk from that was a nightmare- took a couple of weeks until my hands were clean again. When cleaning I'm guessing the MAP sensor is housed in the manifold- how can you clean the manifold without contaminating the MAP?- Cheers
You can remove the MAP from the manifold with one bolt once it's off the car.

I've been cleaning it all day, and my hands (and the kitchen sink, and the hose, and a screwdriver, and the picnic table, and my favourite bucket...) are covered in ****

I've cleaned most of the **** off, but I've thrown in the towel and got my Dad to try some industrial degreaser at his work...

EDIT - Imagine a massive EGR, with a lot less access...
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 21:56   #4
BRITRICH75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur SE

What a fantastic "How to"... Makes me almost wish I had a diesel Conny SE instead of a petrol one... Rich.
BRITRICH75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 22:11   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRITRICH75 View Post
What a fantastic "How to"... Makes me almost wish I had a diesel Conny SE instead of a petrol one... Rich.
Not as much as when you are filling up at the petrol station though Rich?

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 19:13   #6
ChestersDad
Still 75less :-(

1988 Defender 90

Default Excellent!

Really excellent "how to" Jakg

What I, for one, always wanted to know but was too afraid to ask (and to have a go at - until now!)

Many thanks!

(Now waiting to be similarly impressed with the cleaning procedural piccies!)

ChestersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 20:39   #7
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Very well put together Jack, and worthy of inclusion in the How-To section.

You'll find a copy for reference in the Engine & Technical section

Click Here Excellent stuff
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 16:27   #8
mgmark
Regular poster

MG ZT

This has been a great help.. My car has been suffering from vibrations as the engine drops to tickover (it's an auto) on the move. Almost feels like warped discs but only happens when the revs have dropped. Found my EGR valve really badly clogged up and the intake was the same - Possibly down the PCV being really badly blocked when I got the car. Just soaking everything in Gunk now so the engine can breathe properly when it goes back together
mgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:42   #9
CapnAndy

Rover 75 tourer

Smile Many Thanks.

Many thanks for your comprehensive instructions. I had to remove the manifold while doing the inline thermostat modification and your instructions helped a lot. Result was I've cleaned out the manifold and EGR and it's giving me much better engine performance. I'd recommend that anyone doing the inline Mod should bite the bullet and remove the manifold, it makes things much easier and you're less likely to break the plastic connection on the radiator hose which is what happened to me..
CapnAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 20:50   #10
drongo83

Rover 75

Unhappy

I agree. Thought i was saving time and hassle going at the steel band on the hose with a dremel without removing manifold. Ended up slightly cutting hose and unable to stop a persistant leak due to being unable to get jubilee clip in the right place and tight enough. It's costed me as much in antifreeze top -ups as diesel during the week.
drongo83 is offline   Reply With Quote