Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd September 2017, 05:39   #11
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
And having just had mine done after exactly 4 years and 30,000 miles of mainly city driving I can report that the fluid that came out looked like drinking chocolate! Gear changes have certainly smoothed out since the change.
It's a must do job on automatics, I met a chap from the midlands a few years ago, he was driving a VW Sharon auto with 375K miles on the clock..same auto box, he changed the ATF religiously every 25K miles. Taking the parts/labour cost to remove recon and refit an auto box your looking at around £1000 plus.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 19:50   #12
John3:16
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
If you've purchased the car second hand treat it as though the auto box has never had a change so I would change it for peace of mind.
It's not difficult to do but the auto fluid is expensive.
The correct specification ATF can be bought fairly reasonably priced at £24.99 for 4.55ltr.

See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carlube-AT...19.m1438.l2649

Neill

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!
John3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 19:55   #13
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
And having just had mine done after exactly 4 years and 30,000 miles of mainly city driving I can report that the fluid that came out looked like drinking chocolate! Gear changes have certainly smoothed out since the change.
Interesting, I changed mine after 13 years and 60,000 miles and it came out looking almost brand new! Slight discolouration, but no burnt smell and still recognisable as ATF.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 20:09   #14
John3:16
Avid contributor

2.0 V6 Connoisseur Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
I have no intention of doing it myself! I have a MG/Rover garage a few miles away to do it. I fancy it's a bit jerky at times so thinking of an oil change, last one was two years (it was black) and about 13,000 miles ago, it's now on 105,000.

Is it likely to be something else? Eg someone engaging reverse while still moving forward, and vice versa (grrr)?
It's a fairly easy job to do to replace the ATF ... see thread

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...&highlight=ATF

The secret to changing 99% of the ATF in one go is to drain the ATF and then pop the drain plug back in. Top up with new ATF and then disconnect the pipe to the cooler at the front of the car near the radiator and connect up a piece of hosepipe up so it'll drain into your waste container and then turn the engine over for 10 seconds and the rest of the old ATF will be displaced. Now fully fill the gearbox with the new ATF and check the level at correct running temperature. Job done. No need to keep draining and then refilling and then draining to try and remove as much of the old ATF.

Neill

2.0 Petrol V6 75 Connoisseur Auto "Ginnie" ...finally stopped that darn thermostat from leaking !!
John3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote