Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2016, 18:50   #1
shaneimus
Regular poster

MGZT

Default Hiccup under hard acceleration

Hi all. Experienced something odd on the way home today. I was accelerating in second gear and as the revs were building, just before I shifted up, there was a strange hiccup and a jolt. Changed to third and the car ran fine all the way home. Any ideas?
shaneimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:59   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I see you have a 1.8T, hesitation under hard acceleration usually indicates a dodgy coil pack.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 19:22   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Excessive spark plug gap. Failing coil pack or leadOr the start of HGF.

Some have found that the recommended 1mm plug gap gave the hesitation but closing it to .5 to .75 cured it (probably an early sign of coil deterioration)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 19:27   #4
shaneimus
Regular poster

MGZT

I hope it's not HGF, the service history indicates it was only done two years ago. How easy would it be to tackle the coil pack?
shaneimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 22:46   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneimus View Post
I hope it's not HGF, the service history indicates it was only done two years ago. How easy would it be to tackle the coil pack?
Extremely easy, but check the plugs first (you have to remove the coil packs to do that). Two screws to remove the cover then you'll see the two coil packs each held with two bolts - take note of where the leads go and how they run before removing them - go carefull releasing the low tension wiring from the clips (you'll see as you are doing it) pull the leads and coil packs away and move them out of the way (leave 'arranged' to make easier to put back) then remove and check the plugs.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 08:48   #6
Ste.Sales
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Where in the rev range did it hiccup? 3500rpm ish? Could well be boost controller.... Or more likely the vacuum lines from it to the turbo? If these are ok, then i agree with the above, coil packs.
Steve
Ste.Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 17:57   #7
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Mine did that and it was caused by the waste gate link being seized causing it to over boost so it temporarily cut the ignition.

Have a look at the posts titled 1.8T Actuator servicing.

Last edited by Synchromesh; 31st March 2016 at 11:44.. Reason: Previous post reference added.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 15:03   #8
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I had this when i bought my car (75 1.8t) - i had a stuttering(misfire) that i could power through - caused by a spark issue (oil in the plug well) cleared the oil, fixed the leak (loose rocker cover bolt) and gapped plugs to 0.80mm while i was there - this cured that issue

I also had a different loss of power under full throttle - less of an engine misfire, more of an engine cut-out symptom. this became more evident and at worse was violent loss of power at full throttle.

i figured out it was turbo overboost, causing the ecu to cut power.
changed the boost control vac hoses - no fix
tested the wastegate actuator using a bicycle pump - remove the vac hose from the boost control solenoid (the one connected to the wastegate actuator) attach the pump and pressurise - you should see the actuator moving between the exhaust manifold.
my actuator was fine - so i bypassed the boost control solenoid and connected the turbo compressor to the wastegate actuator (using the short vac hose from the boost control solenoid) this eliminated the problem of engine cut-out and diagnosed(correctly) the problem was overboost cut-out due to a failing boost control solenoid - ordered a new one for £24 delivered and cured the problem

Paul..
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote