Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th May 2014, 16:58   #31
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I just drilled a hole at the top of the spare wheel well,that way you don't get water ingress and it's handy for the wiring harness.
Old 4th January 2015, 16:31   #32
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I ran the power supply directly off the battery, through an inline fuse and then underneath the car to the rear. In through the wheel well.
No work inside the car; no trim removal. Took all of half an hour.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2015, 21:49   #33
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Posted this question earlier on the technical help section and maybe someone here can help please.

Already fitted a towbar and 12N electrics but we have now gone and bought a caravan so I need to wire up 12S socket.

20150817_191221.jpg

20150817_191545.jpg

Connected the wires between split charge relay shown in photo and towbar socket, and now need to connect power feeds.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (probably), but looking at running a wire with a 20amp in line fuse for the constant 12v feed, from a thick brown and black tracer wire on rear of passenger fusebox.

As per the instructions in the other photo at point 4, wire to Ign terminal on relay, I am stuck where to take the feed from. ' 12v when ignition on but NOT when starter motor is being operated, such as supply to wipers'.

Pointers please
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 08:24   #34
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IverRover View Post

As per the instructions in the other photo at point 4, wire to Ign terminal on relay, I am stuck where to take the feed from. ' 12v when ignition on but NOT when starter motor is being operated, such as supply to wipers'.

Pointers please
Most installers these days use a voltage sensing relay, mounted in the boot area, rather than the warning light switched type that you have. The reason being that the later type involve more work to install and can be tricky on a modern car to actually use.

The feed you mention behind your glove box, is probably not even connected to the engine fuse box, it will be tucked up out of the way under the fuse box and will need a crimped terminal fitted and plugging in to the underside.

Can I suggest that for best results you do things this way?

Connect the above feed to the fuse box via a 30amp fuse, in the box - the correct fuse way for a trailer supply is marked.

Run at the minimum a 4mm or better a 6mm main feed from behind the glove box into the rear of the boot, close to your tow bar. That will then be an unswitched permanently live feed.

Add a voltage controlled relay on the end of it, with two outputs, one to the fridge circuit, the other to the caravan battery charging circuit. Insert a fuse of 20amps into each of those two circuits, so if there is a fault on one circuit it doesn't blow both circuits.

The larger than normal feed, makes for both your fridge and battery to receive higher voltage, less volts drop along the relatively long cable run. Both will work much more efficiently, with less voltage drop.

The voltage sensing relays sense the voltage rise, when the engine is started and fall when the engine is stopped. It may need some fine adjustment via a tiny screw, to operate correctly once fitted.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 14:09   #35
IverRover
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0ltr V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Most installers these days use a voltage sensing relay, mounted in the boot area, rather than the warning light switched type that you have. The reason being that the later type involve more work to install and can be tricky on a modern car to actually use.

The feed you mention behind your glove box, is probably not even connected to the engine fuse box, it will be tucked up out of the way under the fuse box and will need a crimped terminal fitted and plugging in to the underside.

Can I suggest that for best results you do things this way?

Connect the above feed to the fuse box via a 30amp fuse, in the box - the correct fuse way for a trailer supply is marked.

Run at the minimum a 4mm or better a 6mm main feed from behind the glove box into the rear of the boot, close to your tow bar. That will then be an unswitched permanently live feed.

Add a voltage controlled relay on the end of it, with two outputs, one to the fridge circuit, the other to the caravan battery charging circuit. Insert a fuse of 20amps into each of those two circuits, so if there is a fault on one circuit it doesn't blow both circuits.

The larger than normal feed, makes for both your fridge and battery to receive higher voltage, less volts drop along the relatively long cable run. Both will work much more efficiently, with less voltage drop.

The voltage sensing relays sense the voltage rise, when the engine is started and fall when the engine is stopped. It may need some fine adjustment via a tiny screw, to operate correctly once fitted.

Thanks for that. Off to get the relay and wire you suggest now.
IverRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 11:10   #36
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IverRover View Post
Thanks for that. Off to get the relay and wire you suggest now.
I have been asked for more details on the voltage sensing relay. The one I suggested is called the Smartcom. It should be a stock item in most good car accessory shops, certainly in caravan parts suppliers stock.

It has a small adjustment on the unit to set the trigger voltage. It may need some adjustment once fitted, so that it only makes when the engine is running and the voltage rises. This type of relay is very sensitive to voltage drop between the fuse box and the relay at the back. There have been cases where a less experienced fitter, who doesn't appreciate that cables need to be sized for both current and voltage drop, have installed cable sized for the current alone.

You then get a situation where the voltage rises, the relay closes, which then puts the cable under load. The voltage then drops and the relay does what it should and opens again - rinse and repeat, until you arrive at your destination, with an under charged battery and a fridge which has defrosted.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote