Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st February 2020, 19:43   #21
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Well. folks it's still leaking! I did a gas test which proved negative i.e. the liquid stayed blue.

I have put it on a two post lift again and checked thoroughly but no sign of any leak. I left the engine running for about twenty minutes as well, still no visible leak.

I note Trickey on here knows a member with the same situation but who had a respected garage change the head gaskets but the car continued to leak.

There is some mayonnaise visible when you remove the oil cap but I put this down to the fact that the car is not being used very much. There is no coolant on the dipstick.

I don't know what to do next apart from removing the heads and changing the head gaskets. The car is no good with the leak so I think this is the last ditch attempt at solving the problem. Any other suggestions please?

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2020, 20:03   #22
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Perhaps a long shot but I'll mention it anyway. My daughter's 75 came with a leaking hose (bleed screw one) that the previous owner had "fixed" with some pipe and two jubilee clips. It still weeped, so I replaced it. Couple of days later daughter phoned, please tow me home - car overheating. Traced it to another leak, but this time the other large hose from the thermostat - took a while to find as it has a kind of sheath and it leaked from inside this sheath.

Good hunting

Last edited by vitesse; 2nd February 2020 at 09:27.. Reason: spelling
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2020, 23:03   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
I don't know what to do next ... Any other suggestions please?
Here's something from earlier ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hog View Post
... cracked plastic elbows on the radiator, failed inlet manifold gaskets ...
Simon
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:07   #24
Mark Murphy
Regular poster

Rover 75, and Mg zt 1.8T

A leak from heater matrix pipe inside the car?
Mark Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 15:13   #25
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

There is nothing for it other than to take the heads off and replace the head gaskets. I will have to choose my moment as I have to work outside. It will take me about two weeks but I will not be working on it full-time.

I will report back!

Martin
Old 2nd February 2020, 15:35   #26
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

Have you had a pressure test carried out on the cooling system?
Alan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2020, 16:33   #27
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_M View Post
Have you had a pressure test carried out on the cooling system?

When i have had leaks thats the first thing i do - up on ramp engine on and undertray off - done it twice in 6 years - first time she was running for an hour when the leak was spotted from the IMG - leaked only when really hot - 2nd time a few minutes - the small turbo hose had become loose as the clip had failed.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:30   #28
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
There is nothing for it other than to take the heads off and replace the head gaskets.
Martin,

I have reviewed the evidence you've provided which is relevant to a head gasket failure. Please read through your own words again:
Quote:
I tried a test suggested on here, i.e. take off expansion tank cap run the car cold for about 10 seconds at idle and then accelerate up to the red line, if coolant shoots out of expansion tank this confirms HGF. I did this but no coolant shot out of the expansion tank.
Quote:
There does not appear to be any coolant on the dipstick and the oil level seems okay in spite of the amount of coolant loss.
Quote:
I did a gas test which proved negative i.e. the liquid stayed blue ...
I note Trickey on here knows a member with the same situation but who had a respected garage change the head gaskets but the car continued to leak ...
There is some mayonnaise visible when you remove the oil cap but I put this down to the fact that the car is not being used very much.
It's not exactly overwhelming evidence of a head gasket failure is it. The KV6 gaskets are MLS not the elastomer type originally fitted to the 1.8 engine. To damage an MLS gasket on a KV6 would require, for example, severe and sustained overheating.

In respect of the "some mayonnaise" you've reported present in the left-hand bank which you put down to infrequent use, if I were in your shoes I would seek to test that theory. A dose of Comma 'Flush Out' flushing oil may remove the emulsified oil but I could not give you a guarantee. Why don't you take the car for a long journey (several hours) and check that the coolant is reaching normal operating temperature by using the built-in instrument pack diagnostics. You should see temperatures in the low to mid nineties, rising to 100 degrees when subsequently stationary in traffic.

One thing which doesn't appear to have been mentioned is the coolant level in the expansion tank. Are you observing the tab labelled 'max' within the tank? If not, it will be overfilled and will eject the excess.

Martin, your plan to remove both cylinder heads in the open air is born of despair and not from the evidence available and reasoned analysis. It is an enormous job involving a timing belt change which should not be undertaken lightly and I just don't see the evidence to justify it.

Simon
Old 4th February 2020, 13:56   #29
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Martin,

I have reviewed the evidence you've provided which is relevant to a head gasket failure. Please read through your own words again:

It's not exactly overwhelming evidence of a head gasket failure is it. The KV6 gaskets are MLS not the elastomer type originally fitted to the 1.8 engine. To damage an MLS gasket on a KV6 would require, for example, severe and sustained overheating.

In respect of the "some mayonnaise" you've reported present in the left-hand bank which you put down to infrequent use, if I were in your shoes I would seek to test that theory. A dose of Comma 'Flush Out' flushing oil may remove the emulsified oil but I could not give you a guarantee. Why don't you take the car for a long journey (several hours) and check that the coolant is reaching normal operating temperature by using the built-in instrument pack diagnostics. You should see temperatures in the low to mid nineties, rising to 100 degrees when subsequently stationary in traffic.

Quote:
One thing which doesn't appear to have been mentioned is the coolant level in the expansion tank. Are you observing the tab labelled 'max' within the tank? If not, it will be overfilled and will eject the excess.
Martin, your plan to remove both cylinder heads in the open air is born of despair and not from the evidence available and reasoned analysis. It is an enormous job involving a timing belt change which should not be undertaken lightly and I just don't see the evidence to justify it.

Simon
Simon.
I have read through this thread today and half way through i was thinking maybe to much coolant is being put in, thus not giving any expansion so being ejected out the cap.

Please ignore if the coolant is as above in the photo's

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 20:49   #30
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

No Steve the system has not been overfilled. Simon I take your point about evidence but I have run out of ideas as to where it is leaking. The car is only being used for short journeys as I am not too keen to take it on a long run which might then cause it to overheat. I suppose I could check the water temperature as you suggest but I doubt that is the problem but we will wait and see. Anyhow I have no intention of taking the heads off at the moment I shall wait for warmer weather. I have done the job before including stripping the heads but this time I do not intend to do that because the car has not overheated that makes the job alot easier. Watch this space!

Martin