Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th February 2020, 18:30   #1
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Default Water sloshing at the front, but I've already given it a rodding...

Evening all,

Hope everyone is well and the recent bad weather spell hasn't caused anyone too many problems. Seeing some heartbreaking footage on the news.

I've noticed when I'm pulling away in the morning or after work after we've had some rain that I can hear some water sloshing around at the front.

Now, I do regularly give the drain a good rodding in the passenger side plenum and have done so again tonight but there wasn't really any water in there.
It was a bit damp but it had just been raining.

I've had a look with a torch and there does seem to be a small amount of water in the drivers side but I couldn't see a drain plug such as on the passenger side.
Is it hidden under the brake servo?

Also, I had a new clutch, master and slave back end of last year and I noticed on the drivers side it looked like there was a rubber bung missing in the bulkhead, can anyone confirm?

Many thanks in advance.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 21:03   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
Evening all,

Hope everyone is well and the recent bad weather spell hasn't caused anyone too many problems. Seeing some heartbreaking footage on the news.

I've noticed when I'm pulling away in the morning or after work after we've had some rain that I can hear some water sloshing around at the front.

Now, I do regularly give the drain a good rodding in the passenger side plenum and have done so again tonight but there wasn't really any water in there.
It was a bit damp but it had just been raining.

I've had a look with a torch and there does seem to be a small amount of water in the drivers side but I couldn't see a drain plug such as on the passenger side.
Is it hidden under the brake servo?

Also, I had a new clutch, master and slave back end of last year and I noticed on the drivers side it looked like there was a rubber bung missing in the bulkhead, can anyone confirm?

Many thanks in advance.
Yes, the drain is located under the brake servo, you don't need to rod it though as rodding the passenger side is sufficient.

You should have a rubber grommet around the pipe too.

Are you sure the sloshing sound isn't water and air in your heater matrix?
Old 17th February 2020, 22:11   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Rhys.
Even though you have rodded the plenum tube, sometime because of the design the end of the tube tapers into form of flap, get under the car and cut this off by about 20mm

You are also lucky in the fact that the 1.8 engine is the only car that you can gain access to the plenum tube under the servo from the engine bay, if you look at the fire wall directly below the servo you should see the tube poking down, reach in and stick your finger into it to unblock it, then cut 20mm off with some snips

NS passenger plenum tube from under the car, cut both off by about 15mm-20mm where the yellow dots are in the photo's

OS driver plenum tube from under the car, on a 1.8 this can be accessed from the engine bay down below the fire wall just under the servo area.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 1st March 2020 at 08:51.. Reason: Photo Editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 19:31   #4
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Rhys.
Even though you have rodded the plenum tube, sometime because of the design the end of the tube tapers into form of flap, get under the car and cut this off by about 20mm

You are also lucky in the fact that the 1.8 engine is the only car that you can gain access to the plenum tube under the servo from the engine bay, if you look at the fire wall directly below the servo you should see the tube poking down, reach in and stick your finger into it to unblock it, then cut 20mm off with some snips
Thanks for the advice Arctic.
If the weather stays dry tomorrow I'll get this done.

On a related note, my drivers footwell is pretty soaking wet today after torrential rain last night.

I would suspect the missing seal into the bulkhead in my picture above is to blame.

Can anyone suggest a suitable bodge for me to seal this up, given the size of the gap around the hydraulic pipe?
I don't want to go removing pipework so will have to work around it somehow.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!!
Old 29th February 2020, 19:54   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigagator View Post
Can anyone suggest a suitable bodge for me to seal this up, given the size of the gap around the hydraulic pipe?

Buy a suitable rubber grommet from Halfords, eBay, or wherever and cut it with scissors or a craft knife from edge to middle. Fit it over the pipe and then maneuver it into the hole in the panel. You could even super-gloo the cut after fitting grommet on the pipe if you want to be perfect.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2020, 08:12   #6
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Thanks all for the advice.

Finally got around to sorting this last night.

I bought a couple of 30mm rubber grommets off the bay and just about managed to squeeze my arms down far enough to fit it.

Also cleared the drain on the drivers side - it was properly disgusting in there. Must've been years of rotted leaves as my hands were just covered in mud.

Chucked a jug of water in there and it flowed straight out and no sloshing this morning when I pulled away!