Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th February 2020, 19:56   #11
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

This what happens when you don't dredge.

river by john barry, on Flickr
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2020, 22:19   #12
Mercury RV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Dredging?

My point exactly, if you put a bucket of water in an empty bath, it's not going to overflow, with all the soil running off the fields, it will fill the watercourses even more. Mind you, I cannot recall the last time I saw a gulley emptier truck cleaning out the drains either, perhaps just as well, let's just let the water flood peoples homes, we can then impose a flood tax. I expect we will be getting help from all the world with gifts of money to assist people here in the UK, you know like we do for them. Am I just a cynic?
Mercury RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 08:23   #13
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Let’s all start a dredging the rivers campaign by blocking airports and encouraging our children to strike from school.
On a serious note, I agree that dredging needs to be re introduced.
Old 17th February 2020, 08:49   #14
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Living not far from Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd I have seen the painfully slow progress of the flood defence works taking place. It is mind numbingly slow. I just don't get why it takes so darned long. Maybe we should invite the Chinese to do it for us. After all they can build HS2 in 5 years and under budget. Meanwhile the local council continues to grant planning permission for development on flood plains.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 09:23   #15
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

My first venture into the housing market was in 1970. From that day on I have always considered height above sea level as being more important than price. We are now in house 10, our final one (!). This one is the highest yet at 99 feet a-s-l. The last thing I will ever need to do is buy a canoe.

There is a very good reason why flood plain land is cheaper, the 'market' rules with the compliance of planning departments. It is also unnecessary, there are thousands of dilapidated brownfield sites in every area in the country which could be cleaned up and developed without destruction of natural habitat. Think of all the new villages to be created in presently out-of-town areas - what a lovely prospect. An end to huge soulless estates producing crime and drug dealing. Utopia.
Old 17th February 2020, 14:54   #16
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Talking

I do seem to be agreeing with you far to often Wraymond- but my mother always said amongst many other gems"always live at the top of the hill" Avoid Valley like the plague. Sorry for those who couldn't or didn't. Chris.S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 19:36   #17
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
I do seem to be agreeing with you far to often Wraymond- but my mother always said amongst many other gems"always live at the top of the hill" Avoid Valley like the plague. Sorry for those who couldn't or didn't. Chris.S.
I live on the top of a hill - fantastic views over the Costa del Clyde - and no fear of flooding. The wind however is a different matter, I hate it you can feel the house shake🙂 thankfully no damage so far but it wouldn't be the first time we'd lost the roof.

I know very little about environmental issues. I suppose there have always been storms, it's February after all but the effects on ordinary people seems to be getting worse. I honestly don't know what the answer is but surely there has to be a proper investment now into flood defences, pumping stations, river dredging and so on.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 20:52   #18
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
(Say it quietly Christopher, you don't want to get the reputation that I enjoy).

There's nothing happening climatically now that hasn't happened many times before. The changes that there have been are all generational so the increase in numbers affected is a mix of relaxed planning decisions (the flood plain example), the abandonment of preventative civil engineering (dredging dykes and channels etc, and sea wall precautions), and hiving off council responsibilities to the private sector.

It so happens that the population explosion over the last 100/200 years has occurred at the same time as a temporary blip (in planetary terms) in climate conditions giving a distorted overall impact view.

There have been many peaks over the last million years when there was nobody around to measure the changes - even if they had the science or instruments to do it!
Old 17th February 2020, 21:49   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

I have to agree with RAYMOND too.

Doesn't take a lot of research in history to get more accurate facts and figures than those current ones being pandered around at the moment.

PS. My house built in 1956 is on piers to avoid flooding.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2020, 22:14   #20
Mercury RV
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Nothing much is impossible

If flooding is unavoidable, then ask the people of Holland and even some parts of Norfolk. As for global warming, it has been cyclical for millions of years, how come if not you find Whitby jet, that comes from Monkey Puzzle trees in tropical climates, not sure that Whitby is a tropical climb now! Once upon a time it was, and we weren't here then, so can't blame my Rover 75. Oh and by the way, it was a frozen land before then, did they tax or blame the Dinosaurs?
Mercury RV is offline   Reply With Quote