Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th February 2020, 20:57   #1
peterh

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Bonnet opening safety catch lever problem

While the main bonnet catch on the driver's door pillar functions perfectly, it should release a plastic lever which swings out through the grille to make it easy to release the safety catch with a gentle pull. Unfortunately this has stopped happening, so while it's possible to release the bonnet by pushing on the safety catch with a screwdriver, it would be nice to have it working properly.
I've removed the grille and the plastic lever is in place, and can be moved to the correct position, but when I let go it just swings into to a vertically 'down' position. It could be that there should be a spring somewhere which has broken or fallen off but I can't see it - and don't know what I'm looking for!
On this occasion my trusty Haynes manual offers no help and doesn't mention the lever (though it's pictured in place coming horizontally through the grille as it should be when working, in the section on removing the safety catch completely).
Please can anyone offer any advice about what I need to do about this?
With many thanks in advance.
PH
P.S. If there should be a spring attached to the lever, please does anyone have a picture or drawing of what it looks like and how it fits - and any thoughts on sources? Thanks again!
(2002 Rover CDT Club SE)

Last edited by peterh; 7th February 2020 at 01:21.. Reason: Request for picture please
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2020, 21:05   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

When you pull the lever, the hook on the slam panel should move back. If not, the spring may have snapped, come off, or maybe you need to lubricate. Since meshing my grill, I just push the hook back with my fingers anyway
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2020, 01:39   #3
peterh

Rover 75 Tourer

Thank you suzublu, but I'm still not sure how to find and solve the cause of the fault.
When you say "When you pull the lever" I guess you mean the safety-catch release lever which should appear through the grille below the bonnet, but doesn't?
If so, it certainly sounds like there should be a spring somewhere to make it pop out when the bonnet opener is pulled and that this has snapped or fallen off, but at present I still don't know:
1. what it looks like, (what shape or how big it is) or
2. where it fits,
...so is this something I could make from wire?
Any ideas (including picture or drawing) very much appreciated please!
Thanks again
PH

Last edited by peterh; 7th February 2020 at 19:01..
Old 7th February 2020, 07:46   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Happened to mine last year. I don't have a picture but exact same symptoms, mine was a snapped return spring that is very light duty and had simply eroded over time. It would be a beggar to get to even just to change the spring
It is a pain to get the unit out in itself.

It's only two bolts, I thought I could remove the complete catch assy by removing the front grill, (Mk1 75) undoing the two bolts and removing it through the grill aperture, surely a wiggle and a twist would see it off in no time, it turns out the fan blade was in the way.

I then removed the fan blade from the motor ( not advisable unless you have done it many times.) Still wouldn't come out past the crash bar. Wife said she could hear me swearing from inside the house!

Ended up removing the front bumper and crash bar to get the damn thing off the slam panel. Luckily I had a replacement unit to drop straight in.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 7th February 2020 at 07:49..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2020, 11:45   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

The spring can just be seen to the left of the catch, sorry about quality

Note to self, clean the area before taking pics
And the lever which pops through the grill

And the assembly from Rimmers, https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001773
Old 7th February 2020, 16:16   #6
peterh

Rover 75 Tourer

Thank you Dave for your reply - and especially the picture and link to Rimmers part are much appreciated.
Sadly, there's still a 'but', as follows:

When I look through the hole in the slam panel from the top I can see the spring, which is both in place and working - in that it's attached to the safety catch and keeps that in tension and pulls the safety catch back to vertical when I push it backwards.
So far so good.
The problem is that the safety catch opening lever (which should poke through the bonnet once the main bonnet catch is released) doesn't!
Now I've taken the grille off, I can hold that little operating handle and swivel it up to the horizontal with no resistance, and then as soon as I lift it a bit further, it pushes the safety catch back and releases it perfectly in the way that it's meant to do.
However, there is nothing keeping that lifting handle in place, so as soon as I let go, it doesn't stay horizontal (like it used to do) but now just swivels back down under its own weight to a position below the horizontal, (which will put the lifting end behind the grille and difficult to reach without another tool like a hooked bit of wire) once I put the grille back in place.
So 'something' must normally stop the safety catch opening handle falling too far and keep it horizontal once the main bonnet opener has been pulled...which is no longer functioning, as the handle falls too far down (to the hidden position it normally adopts when the bonnet is completely shut). It's as if whatever used to keep the fulcrums of the safety catch and opening handle swiveling together is no longer there...whatever it was - another spring perhaps - or perhaps a bit has broken off the back end of that lifting handle (which can't be seen through the hole in the slam panel of course!) which normally stops it falling too far?
Any further ideas or suggested sources of advice much appreciated of course, and many thanks again.

Last edited by peterh; 7th February 2020 at 19:59..
Old 7th February 2020, 17:08   #7
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Hi had this issue look at the back of the grill were the lever should pop out are there 2 of the vertical slats with black bumps on them that look like something joined them?

My solution was to drill these so a bolt could be passed through refit the grill with the lever through the grill above the bolt and it stops it dropping down behind the grill

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2020, 17:38   #8
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Hi had this issue look at the back of the grill were the lever should pop out are there 2 of the vertical slats with black bumps on them that look like something joined them?

My solution was to drill these so a bolt could be passed through refit the grill with the lever through the grill above the bolt and it stops it dropping down behind the grill

The black bumps are just guides for the lever
Old 7th February 2020, 17:54   #9
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Yep those are the ones put a bolt between then so the lever rests on it and the you can get to it to lift it up hopefully the pics show it

Scott

sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2020, 18:47   #10
Goldrover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi, there are 2 springs on the latch system ,one on either side of the metal latch.

If you look closely you will see two little notches where the other spring fits.

Luckily I had a box of assorted springs and fitted one after a sort through, it is I think

smaller

than the one shown and does not have to have a strong pull just enough to allow

the lever to pop through the grill.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Goldrover is offline   Reply With Quote