Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st January 2020, 14:14   #1
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

Default New VIS Motor help

Hello
I've installed a brand new pair of VIS motors and now getting errors:
P1477
P1472

When installing I made the butterfly in the open position and turned the key to position 2 to set the vis before installing it.

Not sure if that is the right procedure or not

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 14:31   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortonds View Post
Hello
I've installed a brand new pair of VIS motors and now getting errors:
P1477
P1472

When installing I made the butterfly in the open position and turned the key to position 2 to set the vis before installing it.

Not sure if that is the right procedure or not
Sorry but if I've understood you correctly - as you've powered up the VIS motors before mounting them I suspect they've gone past their stops. You can test the power motor with a type hand tester no problem. But the balance one needs the flap to be held in place even on a hand tester. Hopefully Stocktake will see this and advise better.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 14:48   #3
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

David,

P1477 - VARIABLE INTAKE BUTTERFLY ELECTRICAL FAULT
P1472 - VARIABLE INTAKE ALWAYS ON

Are those the correct fault titles?

I have a hunch Mike is right...the butterfly limits the motor movement so if that is not attached before installation then the balance motor can overshoot.

Dave (the VIS guru Stocktake ) will hopefully give you the benefit of his knowledge.

Jonty
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 17:49   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Vis codes are P1471 & P1472

The power vis as supplied as standard can over run if operated whilst not connected to the manifold and the brown arm within. Sometimes they can still over run whilst connected to the manifold/arm as things wear. This will render the vis useless until stripped and reset as internally it opens both switches at the same time it will also throw a fault code up. All the power vis motors I supply contain an internal limiter pin that prevents over rotation.

The balance vis can also over rotate if it is operated at 12v whilst not connected to the balance flap. If they over rotate they tend to just keep going round and round until power is disconnected. It then depends where they come to rest as to whether they will operate or not.

If you look at the underside of the balance vis case just next to the oblong recess of the drive you will see a raised arc that runs through 90deg. imprinted on the oblong recess shoulder is an arrowhead. this should be within the arc to enable further operation.if not it will need to be reset.

Vis motors supplied from Xpart & Rimmers etc tend to be left at a midway point this is why you need to plug them in and turn the ignition on to send the vis motors to the correct rest position. then you need to ensure the brown arm for the power vis is pulled right over to the (UK) drivers side so the peg locates.

The balance flap needs to be manually set to the fully open position. in these positions they will then line up with the peg of the power vis and oblong recess of the balance flap respectively.

I suspect you have correctly installed the balance Vis but you have not explained your procedure for the power Vis where I think your fault codes point

You need remove the Power Vis to look at the underside of the Vis.

Standing it portrait as opposed to landscape with the cut out to the top left. Look at the position of the white peg it should be around 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock position. if it is further round it has over run and will not work. If it is around there then pull the brown arm in the manifold right over to the drivers side and the peg will drop into the slot when fitted.

Don't forget to reset the codes

If you're stuck you can send them to me and I can reset and test them both FOC for you.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 31st January 2020 at 17:58..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 18:28   #5
hortonds
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer Automatic

Many thanks for your help.

Strangely, the car now runs like a V6 should (instead of feeling like a diesel), so I think it may be right, just wondering why I'm still getting the error codes??!!!??

So, the Power (horizontal one), I put all the way to to the right hand side as that was where the peg on the VIS was, and installed it without key position 2.

The Balance (Vertical) I set the butterfly open, without connecting it to the butterfly I set position 2, turned off the ignition and installed it.

So it looks like you are saying to take off the Balance and check it is within the 90 degree arc parameters?

Jobs done: Everything you can possibly imagine ... I have the "Triggers Broom" of cars.
hortonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 18:37   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortonds View Post
Many thanks for your help.

So it looks like you are saying to take off the Balance and check it is within the 90 degree arc parameters?
NO.

"I suspect you have correctly installed the balance Vis but you have not explained your procedure for the power Vis where I think your fault codes point

You need remove the Power Vis to look at the underside of the Vis."

The power Vis is the one on the top, from what I remember your code indicates a power Vis fault.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2020, 22:30   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Vis codes are P1471 & P1472

The power vis as supplied as standard can over run if operated whilst not connected to the manifold and the brown arm within. Sometimes they can still over run whilst connected to the manifold/arm as things wear. This will render the vis useless until stripped and reset as internally it opens both switches at the same time it will also throw a fault code up. All the power vis motors I supply contain an internal limiter pin that prevents over rotation.

The balance vis can also over rotate if it is operated at 12v whilst not connected to the balance flap. If they over rotate they tend to just keep going round and round until power is disconnected. It then depends where they come to rest as to whether they will operate or not.

Quote:
If you look at the underside of the balance vis case just next to the oblong recess of the drive you will see a raised arc that runs through 90deg. imprinted on the oblong recess shoulder is an arrowhead. this should be within the arc to enable further operation.if not it will need to be reset.

Vis motors supplied from Xpart & Rimmers etc tend to be left at a midway point this is why you need to plug them in and turn the ignition on to send the vis motors to the correct rest position. then you need to ensure the brown arm for the power vis is pulled right over to the (UK) drivers side so the peg locates.

The balance flap needs to be manually set to the fully open position. in these positions they will then line up with the peg of the power vis and oblong recess of the balance flap respectively.

I suspect you have correctly installed the balance Vis but you have not explained your procedure for the power Vis where I think your fault codes point

You need remove the Power Vis to look at the underside of the Vis.

Standing it portrait as opposed to landscape with the cut out to the top left. Look at the position of the white peg it should be around 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock position. if it is further round it has over run and will not work. If it is around there then pull the brown arm in the manifold right over to the drivers side and the peg will drop into the slot when fitted.

Don't forget to reset the codes

If you're stuck you can send them to me and I can reset and test them both FOC for you.
Hi Dave.
A couple of photo's added to you explanation hope you don't mind.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote