Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th January 2020, 19:34   #21
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Hi Yann, you have a message

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 19:35   #22
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannage View Post
Hi Geoff. I have requested either a full refund or for him to pay for repairs at a garage of my choice. How can I get in touch with Russ? thanks.

Click on Private Message in the top right of the page
Click on Send New Message on the left of the next page
Enter BigRuss and your message
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 19:43   #23
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
well, another update, and this time not good. I found the source of the damp...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgN7ZTAyXwQ

there's no way the dealer wasn't aware of this. I think the strategic mats show that. Have to say I feel duped and stupid for not checking this before buying.

I have no idea where to start with this. Is it worth asking the dealer to fix it or should we just go for a refund and find another one?
oh that's more than damp , that is definitely not good, the leaking sunroof drains are most likely the cause of this. Was the carpet already cut as this is a one piece affair for which you have to take the whole interior out to remove.

I'm not totally sure where you stand, second hand goods still have to be fit for purpose, and I think you could argue that it clearly wasn't when you looked at it - the mould was a clear sign, it must smell awfully damp as well?

It's fixable, but your looking at having to remove the seats etc then to remove the carpet and it will never dry, plus someone's sliced it into pieces.

Personally I wouldn't touch the car, sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one given the other things you have found wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't be paying that price for a car in that condition.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 20:00   #24
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
oh that's more than damp , that is definitely not good, the leaking sunroof drains are most likely the cause of this. Was the carpet already cut as this is a one piece affair for which you have to take the whole interior out to remove.

I'm not totally sure where you stand, second hand goods still have to be fit for purpose, and I think you could argue that it clearly wasn't when you looked at it - the mould was a clear sign, it must smell awfully damp as well?

It's fixable, but your looking at having to remove the seats etc then to remove the carpet and it will never dry, plus someone's sliced it into pieces.

Personally I wouldn't touch the car, sounds like the dealer is trying to pull a fast one given the other things you have found wrong with it. I certainly wouldn't be paying that price for a car in that condition.
so the carpet is already cut like this but only on this side. admittedly I should have moved both mats but only moved the top one and I didn't notice the state it was in. valuable lesson learned there, guess i just never expected anything like this. There's no way he wasn't aware of this, they've clearly been put on there to hide it.

the damp smell isn't that bad, probably due to recent valet and air freshner in car.

dealer is trying to say that's happened after recent showers since we've had it.
Yannage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 20:04   #25
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You are looking at a full days work by someone who has done the job before to replace the carpet and possibly the side impact sensors as they can fail when they have been wet.

You will need a replacement carpet and several plastic trim clips to sort the job properly.

Not the end of the world, I have done a few of these wet carpet replacements (But I am a glutton for punishment)
Old 27th January 2020, 20:26   #26
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:

dealer is trying to say that's happened after recent showers since we've had it.
well he is right, but only a result of a pre-existing problem such as sun roof or boot leaks which it's clearly still got.

The cut carpet it a clue that someone already knew of the problem - I suspect that someone had been in there with a Vax beforehand. I would be looking in the spare wheel well and the plenum as well for signs of water.

It is repairable, but you shouldn't have to be doing it if you're buying a car like that. It's quite an involved job but I have done it - I had a sunroof leak on mine, only minor as it had turned out, so wasn't immediately evident until a particularly heavy shower a few months later, plus I wasn't aware of the sunroof drains not having had a sunroofed MG before, and not previously being a member on this forum.

Last edited by kelvo; 27th January 2020 at 20:29..
Old 27th January 2020, 20:33   #27
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
so the carpet is already cut like this but only on this side. admittedly I should have moved both mats but only moved the top one and I didn't notice the state it was in. valuable lesson learned there, guess i just never expected anything like this. There's no way he wasn't aware of this, they've clearly been put on there to hide it.

the damp smell isn't that bad, probably due to recent valet and air freshner in car.

I strongly advise that you write to the dealer as you will then have evidence if this ends up in small claims court
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 20:35   #28
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
well he is right, but only a result of a pre-existing problem such as sun roof or boot leaks which it's clearly still got.

The cut carpet it a clue that someone already knew of the problem - I suspect that someone had been in there with a Vax beforehand. I would be looking in the spare wheel well and the plenum as well for signs of water.

It is repairable, but you shouldn't have to be doing it if you're buying a car like that. It's quite an involved job but I have done it - I had a sunroof leak on mine, only minor as it had turned out, so wasn't immediately evident until a particularly heavy shower a few months later, plus I wasn't aware of the sunroof drains not having had a sunroofed MG before, and not previously being a member on this forum.
Sure, it is caused by showers but there was clearly mould at the time of purchase so this is an issue he would have been aware of and should have been fixed.

I did pay on credit card so Im hoping that's extra protection as he doesn't sound like he's going to be very helpful. Certainly won't trust him to use his garage as he suggested.
Old 27th January 2020, 20:35   #29
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamagorum View Post
I strongly advise that you write to the dealer as you will then have evidence if this ends up in small claims court
already done, via email
Old 27th January 2020, 21:01   #30
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Sure, it is caused by showers but there was clearly mould at the time of purchase so this is an issue he would have been aware of and should have been fixed.

I did pay on credit card so Im hoping that's extra protection as he doesn't sound like he's going to be very helpful. Certainly won't trust him to use his garage as he suggested.
I'd be keen to know the history of the car, don't know if previous owners are still listed on the log book - but you have to wonder whether they chopped it in for P/X knowing it's faults and the dealer's realised he's got a dog and tried to shift it on? He's not going to bother finding and rectifying the leak(s), and then stripping out and replacing all the interior to solve the wet carpet - that would never dry. What other reason would there be for the carpet to have been cut out.

Run the reg number through the on-line MOT checker on the DVLA website - this will give you the MOT history for the car, this is also a good clue as to what sort of owner it has had.

Last edited by kelvo; 27th January 2020 at 21:06..