Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th September 2019, 06:31   #1
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Default Oil question for diesel owners

Hi all.

I'll be carrying out an oil and filter change on my 2.0 cdti in the next couple of weeks, I have been reading on the oil flush thread with interest.

This has lead me to ask another oil related question.
I'm interested to see how frequent fellow diesel owners change their oil and filter, plus what make and grade of oil they use?

I'm not talking about what it says in the book for frequency. I always change my oil and filter much sooner than what it says in the book.
With this being my 1st ever diesel, which is low milage, I want to keep it in the best shape possible. I only do about 6000 a year.
The petrol cars I tend to do twice a year. As mainly short runs degrades oil quicker than long distances.

Do I stick to this sort of frequency given the type of running the car will have?

Thanks
Richard

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 06:46   #2
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Hi all.

I'll be carrying out an oil and filter change on my 2.0 cdti in the next couple of weeks, I have been reading on the oil flush thread with interest.

I'm interested to see how frequent fellow diesel owners change their oil and filter, plus what make and grade of oil they use?

I'm not talking about what it says in the book for frequency. I always change my oil and filter much sooner than what it says in the book.
With this being my 1st ever diesel, which is low milage, I want to keep it in the best shape possible. I only do about 6000 a year.
The petrol cars I tend to do twice a year. As mainly short runs degrades oil quicker than long distances.

Do I stick to this sort of frequency given the type of running the car will have?

Thanks
Richard
I change the oil and filter every 6K. And use the best Oil I can get.

So If you are only doing 6K a year then do it annually.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 07:33   #3
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Hi all.

Thanks
Richard
You are worrying too much, use a quality 10w-40 or 5w-40 semi or full synthetic oil and a quality OEM filter and change twice a year, no additives no flushes, that it all. Enjoy the day.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 07:55   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I tow a caravan with my diesels and so change the oil at the end of each season irrespective of the fact it has done less miles then the service interval.
I use Mobil 1 10/40. At 6000 miles a year, once a year is ok to change the oil but and its a big but, if you feel comfortable changing it sooner, change it sooner. No harm in that. Don't forget the PCV filter, change that too

Oil, its the blood of an engine. I had a Honda 400/4 motorbike, I changed the oil every 1000 miles and sold the bike with 115,000 miles on the clock.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 09:06   #5
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Many thanks everyone.

PCV filter already changed at the last Nano meet thanks Macafee.

5W40 will be my life blood of choice.

Richard

Old 29th September 2019, 09:15   #6
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

I do 4 or 5k miles a year so normally do and oil change every other year. I wouldn't imagine I'd benefit from more frequent than that.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 12:10   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Hi all.

Thanks
Richard

Well I've been running an experiment to see what happens if you do follow the book; either 15k miles or annually, and so far nothing lubricated by the oil has been replaced and everything still runs as it should.

It's ongoing, started in 2000, and the mileage is now just over 400k, so I think the book is about right.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 15:02   #8
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

What grade and make of oil do you use?

Old 29th September 2019, 15:26   #9
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I personally use Gulf formula G synthetic, which is a 5 / 40.

I change it every year, which equates to about 7500 to 8000 miles.

I usually buy the kit from Opie oils.

Everyone has their own preferences, but basically pretty much all oils are good these days as long as it's the spec for your car.

That's probably why I use Opie oils, just enter the reg and it tells you what you need.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 15:32   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

My car. Owned it 13 years. I change the oil at not more than 10,000 miles with a good quality 10/40 semi-synthetic oil.

Never uses any oil between changes.-----

You won't get better than that.----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote