Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th January 2019, 20:07   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Cordless drill recommendations

Any recommendations for a brushless Cordless 18v Combi drill under £100.

Would prefer hammer action but not the end of the world if not.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 20:18   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Well I've had a DeWalt for 15 years, top product, although I've just replaced the batteries as the originals stopped holding charge
Makita also do a good range
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 20:19   #3
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I have a cupboard full of ones without batteries.

These are the only ones I use now.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...bi-drill/268fx

Other deals seem to be available, B&Q has one with only one battery, two are a no-brainier for me...
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 20:52   #4
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Well I've had a DeWalt for 15 years, top product, although I've just replaced the batteries as the originals stopped holding charge
Makita also do a good range
I've a 12V De Walt that I've had for about 20 years now, it's still working but the batteries understandably don't hold a charge as they once did. So I thought that I would keep the old De Walt for stuff like cleaning the alloys with a brush attachment and upgrade the power and battery to a more modern 20V Li-on drill / driver for general DIY.

I don't want to go mad but also don't want to end up with an underpowered drill that will struggle to drill the most basic of holes in masonry or driving screws into wood etc.

I'm not after a £400 building site monster just a reasonably powerful drill/driver for general maintenance around the house and garden.
Old 13th January 2019, 20:58   #5
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
I have a cupboard full of ones without batteries.

These are the only ones I use now.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...bi-drill/268fx

Other deals seem to be available, B&Q has one with only one battery, two are a no-brainier for me...

Cheers, I was hoping to get away with something a shade cheaper under the £100 mark, however if needs be I don't generally skimp for the sake of £20 -£30 if it means not compromising on power and quality in this instance.

And it's fair to say that I've more than had my moneys worth out of my old 12V De Walt, there was even a pair of tidy safety boots thrown in with it when I bought it all those years ago which was a great deal at the time.

I was just wondering if anybody had stumbled across a little gem of a drill that they had found to be cracking value for the money performance and price wise before I make a move.
Old 13th January 2019, 21:02   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I have the 18V Li-ion ones at home and at work. They drill 10mm holes in walls without a problem and last the day with continued moderate use.

It is one of the few cordless drills that can accommodate a hole saw as well.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 22:17   #7
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Maybe I'll consider investing just over the £100 mark then I suppose, best to be sure rather than take a chance on a very occasional purchase fall short of expectations.

Last edited by bendrick; 13th January 2019 at 22:20..
Old 13th January 2019, 22:46   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I have a JCB hammer drill - often discounted in B & Q etc.

Has lasted well so far (a couple of years) and it has a proper carrying case with decent hinges and metal clasps.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 23:12   #9
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Being an electrician I use mine virtually daily. I went for Makita about 8 years ago and my first combi drill's https://www.buyaparcel.com/p/uncateg...-speed-238574/ gearbox gave out eventually, although the SDS https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...ill-bare/48570 is still going with just one change of brushes. Two of my original 3 batteries have given up, and I've had to buy some more since then.
I bought this drill https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-dh...bi-drill/6407p at short notice to replace broken gearbox (which was a far superior bit of kit about £250) for £170 at Screwfix, mainly to get extra batteries. Bear in mind replacement batteries cost about £65 each, a charger £20 then this drill is worth about a £20.

I realise this may be a bit over your budget but should give you years of trouble free use. Over the years I've also added to my Makita cordless kit, and don't have any thing bad to say about them.

It has 3 year warranty and I've had the trigger replaced under this warranty, But has been perfectly good. It does struggle a bit with holes bigger than 25mm in timber when using auger bits.

Last edited by Andy_with_a_screwdriver; 13th January 2019 at 23:17.. Reason: additional info
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2019, 23:29   #10
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Just a thought but you can sometimes get lucky and find unwanted gifts on Gumtree. There are a few new drills that are makes like Bosch and unused. The only drawback is if it goes wrong / warranty etc. With a bit of searching on Ebay and Gumtree I think you can get something decent for £50-60.

I wouldn't buy anything used however.
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote