Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th February 2018, 15:10   #1
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Default Diesel Manual feeling resistance when driving

Hi,
I've got a 2001 75 manual diesel with ~75k miles. I tend to use the car only at weekends but noticed something strange again today. I was doing 30mph in 3rd gear and when I lifted my foot of the accelerate and the car started to slow I detected some sort of resistance. It was a sensation pulling the car speed down a little like if you are driving on shingle or if you have a flat tyre.

Tyres are all inflated.
Clutch is good.
Brakes are all good and recently had new front calipers and pads.
Car doesn't feel like it's got a brake jammed on - doesn't pull to one side or anything

There isn't a loud sound however I can sense an almost rubbing sensation a bit like driving in gravel / a rough surface or flat tyre

I took the car for a 20min journey and it cleared completed. I've noticed this before. Any suggestions on what this can be appreciated, is there anything I can do now as I wonder if this is the start of some problem?

Many thanks.

Last edited by jim_k; 4th February 2018 at 15:12..
jim_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 15:31   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

hi mate, I know you've mentioned that your brakes are ok, but I had the same on my diesel ZT and it was due to a sticky rear caliper. It wasn't completely seized, it just wasn't releasing completely so was slightly applied at all times and every now and again it would fully release. Could feel it dragging the car's speed and power down and after some time it would cause a slight vibration too.

After a long journey the brake disc and even the wheel would give off quite a bit of heat, and you could smell burning from the brake, which made it clear it was a sticky caliper.

On short journeys it wasn't too obvious that the caliper was sticking, was more noticeable once the brake + disc got hot. It never caused the car to pull to one side either.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 15:38   #3
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for that. I had a front brake stuck on last year so maybe what you describe is the back ones playing up. This would make sense. It seems to clear up after a short drive.
Old 5th February 2018, 23:14   #4
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If you only drive it at weekends, with the winter weather, you can get quite a build up of surface rust on the discs, and if the pads do not back off much, they will be wearing this off for the first few miles. Look at the faces of your discs before you set off next weekend, and then check them once the sound has disappeared- they will be much shinier.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 13:48   #5
jim_k
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

A quick update. My mobile mechanic jacked up the car the other day. He notice the drivers side wheel rotate freely. The passenger side wheel did not. He checked the calipers and all good.
He took it for a drive initially and noticed nothing so it's not that bad yet. We think it could be a wheel bearing although he also mentioned the diff... Any suggestions of what it could be?
Old 30th March 2018, 14:33   #6
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Everyone should have one of these at home https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer . After a drive immediately check the brake rotor temps through the wheel spokes, if possible, or even the wheel itself by the lug bolts (same place on every wheel). If you have a sticking caliper (or even a worn bearing, but less obvious until it gets bad) you will see a noticeable temp spike.

Ravinder is having a similar problem, isn't he? Do these cars have a limited slip differential?

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 14:57   #7
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Everyone should have one of these at home https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer . After a drive immediately check the brake rotor temps through the wheel spokes, if possible, or even the wheel itself by the lug bolts (same place on every wheel). If you have a sticking caliper (or even a worn bearing, but less obvious until it gets bad) you will see a noticeable temp spike.

Ravinder is having a similar problem, isn't he? Do these cars have a limited slip differential?

Cheers,
Glenn
watch out for emissivity or false readings from shiny surfaces like brake discs...
if you want to know the real temperature then put a bit of masking tape on the surface and measure that after a few seconds...
The matt finish will give a much truer reading...

Here is a pic of my stainless steel kettle at home....

Freshly boiled and full and look at the temperature range due to reading reflections and not the surface...

Last edited by klarzy; 30th March 2018 at 15:07..
klarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 15:07   #8
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Have you checked that the park brake is not sticking? If the linkage inside the drum is corroded it would easily drag, then release with vehicle movement.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 17:34   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The front wheel bearing can be discounted with the following test

Jack up the car, and squeeze the piston back into the caliper so the pads are not contacting the disc.

Put the wheel back on, and spin the wheel, it should rotate freely, and if you place your hand on one of the coils of the front spring, any roughness in the wheel bearing will be transmitted to the spring and will be able to be felt.

Unless proven otherwise, a sticking brake caliper, be that caused by poor fitting of brake pads, a defective caliper, or indeed a flexible hose that is breaking down internally, restricting the brake fluid return would be my first thoughts.

You can of course drive the car for ten miles, come home and feel the comparative temperatures of the front wheels with the back of your hand, a tight wheel bearing is unlikely to result in a major temperature differential between the two front wheels, and would be howling in protest if causing the type of drag you suggest.

However I would be highly suspicious of a diagnosis of a defective gearbox differential, this sounds like the mechanic is either clueless, or aiming to wipe your eyeballs with an expensive or unnecessary repair

Let us know how you get on please

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 19:33   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post

Cheers,
Glenn

Spit on your finger before quickly dabbing it on each of the discs - too hot, or if really bad, too much sizzle on a particular wheel and you have found the problem.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote