Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th September 2016, 14:45   #1
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Default Accident advice.

Hi All, I need some advice please. On Monday we were driving up the M6 when we were hit in the side of the car. We were in lane 1 and a Land Rover was overtaking and drifted in to my near side rear wheel putting the wheel out of line. The wheelarch is also badly crease. My problem is we are on holiday until Friday so I have no insurance docs with me. Will Churchill hold this against me and will my car be written off because of the damage. I am fully comp and the other driver said he did not see me. This is my first accident so am unsure what to do with having no docs until Friday. Thank, John.
lathbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:01   #2
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

You need to contact your insurance company at the earliest opportunity to report the accident and any damage, at least they have the record on file promptly and any action needing to be taken against the other driver if found to be at fault can get underway. They are understanding of peoples travels, holidays etc.

Documents don't matter, they can soon search your records with your reg no.

As for writeoff it is all down to the repair costs and the insurer may just suggest to get quotes and proceed, or ...... Plus if you find the repairs are not so high against your excess you may wish to proceed yourself and not require going through the insurance.

If the other person is actually to blame and you can prove this then they are liable to carry out the repairs, hopefully you obtained all their details at the time.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:05   #3
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Thanks for the reply, we swapped names and addresses and I have his reg no.I will contact them as soon as I can. John.
Old 6th September 2016, 15:08   #4
Steady Eddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathbury View Post
Hi All, I need some advice please. On Monday we were driving up the M6 when we were hit in the side of the car. We were in lane 1 and a Land Rover was overtaking and drifted in to my near side rear wheel putting the wheel out of line. The wheelarch is also badly crease. My problem is we are on holiday until Friday so I have no insurance docs with me. Will Churchill hold this against me and will my car be written off because of the damage. I am fully comp and the other driver said he did not see me. This is my first accident so am unsure what to do with having no docs until Friday. Thank, John.
Don't you mean he drifted into your off side rear wheel, not near side ?
Steady Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:11   #5
lathbury
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn S.E. Cdt.

Sorry, I meant to put offside wheel and wing. John.
Old 6th September 2016, 15:15   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

write up as soon as you can your account of what happened and who said what. make sure it is more accurate then your op Read your statement a number of times to make sure it is correct

hope you can get it sorted, bit scary when traveling and you get hit in the side

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 15:25   #7
Steady Eddy
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Just make sure you have your facts correct. What the other driver said to you at the scene of accident and what he tells his insurance company could be two different accounts e.g. You was under taking him that's why he didn't see you.
That's why if possible to have some witnesses.
Steady Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 16:52   #8
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Tell your insurers NOW !
Do you have legal protection with your cover ? In a similar incident on the M6 , the driver who hit me accepted his fault at the time but later changed his story and said a lorry forced him into me !!!! My insurers were prepared to let each party bear half of the blame ; they said the only way I might get my costs off the other side would be to go to court , so I reminded them I had legal assistance cover and said "let's go then " . Next day they advised me the other side had accepted liability and I would get my excess back as well .
They are all rather dodgy , so be prepared to fight your corner
Old 6th September 2016, 17:00   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Tell your insurers NOW !
Do you have legal protection with your cover ? In a similar incident on the M6 , the driver who hit me accepted his fault at the time but later changed his story and said a lorry forced him into me !!!! My insurers were prepared to let each party bear half of the blame ; they said the only way I might get my costs off the other side would be to go to court , so I reminded them I had legal assistance cover and said "let's go then " . Next day they advised me the other side had accepted liability and I would get my excess back as well .
They are all rather dodgy , so be prepared to fight your corner
Took the words right out of my mouth!

Could not agree more.

All Insurance companies want to do is to get you to accept 50/50 liability. This is rarely best and certainly not what you want Lathbury from what I understand happened to you.

Be firm stand your ground and keep saying to them that you are entirely the innocent party and that you accept no blame whatsoever !
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 17:02   #10
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Chris is spot on. Do not delay in calling your insurance company, you don't need documents just their number, you and your policy can be found on the system by name and postcode. Delaying can be a big mistake.
On another note, it's highly likely the car will be written off, a bumper will write off a 75, any mechanical damage then its a forgone conclusion, don't allow the car to be removed by them, it's your property remember, get estimates yourself and keep the salvage if they write it off, in many instances the cars can be repaired.
Good luck.