Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets > Regional Events Forum: Scotland
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2016, 21:48   #1
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts
Default End of the road.

It is with great sadness i have decided my time attending meets has reached a natural end .

The enthusiasm i have felt in my time as an owner of 3 different 75s came to an end today .

After a struggle trying to find the exact car park at the Falkirk wheel venue i couldnt be bothered anymore.

I drove home and frankly didnt give it a second thought.

I have attended more meets than i can remember over the years and met some great people but something had been lost somewhere along the way .

I will be at Gretna as per in July but thats it .

The Hawes monthly meet and our Bamboo month about will always be a cast in stone but as for the rest its over for me .

The September Grantown on spey this year will also be last time i will show my humble 75 Tourer though i will always attend the Motormania meet as its such a great weekend and we enjoy the company of those few that attend .

I want to keep my 75 as long as i can but the insurance and road tax for the model is getting a big draw on my income .

I love these cars and having had 3 it proves my point.

Something snapped with me today and i dont mean mechanical.

I love the marque and love the people here but i came to a crossroads today .

We all reach a point in time where change happens .

It happened to me today .

Last edited by FLYER; 19th June 2016 at 00:37..
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 22:15   #2
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I'm sorry to,hear you feel this way, George.

What do you feel has changed for you?

It's a shame we didn't see you today. I relied on the Nav 3 to get me there but it took me through some strange roads. It's well hidden so no surprise that you got a bit lost. Don't let this get to you. Perhaps, once you above a good nights sleep, you'll feel different about it.

It's the people that make the meets what they are and obviously you have played a big part in that. Without people like yourself, we wouldn't have these meets and the great banter and togetherness it brings. We all have one thing in common, our cars.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 22:41   #3
FLYER
Banned

Listen Rav your a good lad and frankly you are the future of the club .

However you need to know i attended my my first meet in 2008 and i went all over.
I attended meets in England many times and that was weekend stopovers.

The club has brought me many friends and many very very happy times .

I have had members attend my wedding and we have went to thiers.

I have seen the highs and the lows and butted heads with some .

But Rav it has reached a peak for me .

I want to enjoy my car and good company over a meal.

Nothing lasts forever Rav .

Sometimes mate the light goes out and cant be lit again .

Ive been there and done that .

Ive paid my dues young man .
Old 18th June 2016, 23:00   #4
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Sad to read this George but, I know where you're coming from.
Been into Minis since the early 80s and travelled the length and breadth of the country with clubs going to shows and meets. I didn't miss any Mini show, be it South Coast or North Coast and I daren't think about the amount of money and time we spent celebrating Sir Alec's finest. All that came to a sudden end for me too, although Minis will always be my all time top car, I/we just lost the urge and need to do the meets and shows. I too, met many good friends in the 'scene' and still keep in touch on Mini forums. Not sure why this happened, it just did
With this club, I've been reintroduced to the meet thing, although I'll just stick to the couple or three meets this side of the border I think.

As long as you keep enjoying your car, keep it but, as soon as that stops, it's time to say goodbye.

See you at Gretna and don't forget, when you're down my way, you're more than welcome to pop round for a brew and biccies if you like.

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 23:12   #5
FLYER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
Sad to read this George but, I know where you're coming from.
Been into Minis since the early 80s and travelled the length and breadth of the country with clubs going to shows and meets. I didn't miss any Mini show, be it South Coast or North Coast and I daren't think about the amount of money and time we spent celebrating Sir Alec's finest. All that came to a sudden end for me too, although Minis will always be my all time top car, I/we just lost the urge and need to do the meets and shows. I too, met many good friends in the 'scene' and still keep in touch on Mini forums. Not sure why this happened, it just did
With this club, I've been reintroduced to the meet thing, although I'll just stick to the couple or three meets this side of the border I think.

As long as you keep enjoying your car, keep it but, as soon as that stops, it's time to say goodbye.

See you at Gretna and don't forget, when you're down my way, you're more than welcome to pop round for a brew and biccies if you like.
I dont really know what happened today Paul but if you follow the meets calander i was at The Thirlstane Borders meet and it was the hardcore members who made the effort to attend .

Real enthusiasts.

For the first time i felt my car didnt belong even though i had busted my butt getting it ready ..

I cant treat the car as i would like as it sits in the street.

I have no driveway or garage and frankly the car is getting abused by total aholes wherever i park it .

I feel embarressed to show it .

It deserves better and i cant give it what it deserves .
Old 18th June 2016, 23:24   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

WTF????? What about the Tam and Ian meet that we run together? it won't be the same without you,and I doubt very much if I will continue it by myself .
Old 18th June 2016, 23:30   #7
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I think everyone gets browned off periodically. I have been a car nut for over 40 years and a member of many Clubs, and still am. People do come and go, and the Clubs "raison d'etre" does change over time. Having a number of different makes, I find I like some of my Clubs some of the time, but things do ebb and flow. This Club has the most fantastic Website, and I have made a few acquaintances, but I confess I do prefer some others from the people aspect. Just don't get too disillusioned, the pendulum will change. I do realise that I am lucky in having a number of choices, but then it is still easy to get bored.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 23:31   #8
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Kust cos Stu posts pictures of eight legged nasties, don't mean you have to throw the towel in
Old 18th June 2016, 23:33   #9
FLYER
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
WTF????? What about the Tam and Ian meet that we run together? it won't be the same without you,and I doubt very much if I will continue it by myself .
I thought you might cotton onto this Rich ..

Listen mate ive made my mind up and you know me well enough that i wont change .

Ive had it mate ..

I will come clean with you in open forum.

You are without a doubt one of the most genuine honest straight up guys ive ever known but i wont mess you about .

I,m busted mate .

I,m running on empty and its time to be me again .

Ive had it Rich .

I want to wind down .

Tam would understand .

I hope you can to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
I think everyone gets browned off periodically. I have been a car nut for over 40 years and a member of many Clubs, and still am. People do come and go, and the Clubs "raison d'etre" does change over time. Having a number of different makes, I find I like some of my Clubs some of the time, but things do ebb and flow. This Club has the most fantastic Website, and I have made a few acquaintances, but I confess I do prefer some others from the people aspect. Just don't get too disillusioned, the pendulum will change. I do realise that I am lucky in having a number of choices, but then it is still easy to get bored.
I,m not bored i,m spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Kust cos Stu posts pictures of eight legged nasties, don't mean you have to throw the towel in
Not going anywhere mate just not doing meets anymore .

Last edited by Dragrad; 19th June 2016 at 01:53.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
Old 18th June 2016, 23:39   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
I thought you might cotton onto this Rich ..

Listen mate ive made my mind up and you know me well enough that i eont change .

Ive had it mate ..

I will come clean with you in open forum.

You are without a doubt one of the most genuine honest straight up guys ive ever known but i wont mess you about .

I,m busted mate .

I,m running on empty and its time to be me again .

Ive had it Rich .

I want to wind down .

Tam would understand .

I hope you can to.
Thanks for the comments George, I see where you're coming from,as for the Tam and Ian meet, well, I will decide on that nearer the time next year.
If someone else wants to step into your shoes, then I may consider carrying on, but it will always be "our meet",and your presence will be greatly missed.
I wish you all the best George,