Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th April 2016, 21:11   #1
seth1982

MG ZT +

Default Mg ZT+ CDTi Synergy 2a fitted problem starting the engine.

Big hi to all members.
I have a problem starting my beloved MG Cdti Automatic,207k miles.
I got the car middle of february.It needed bit of work(new windscreen,end box,modiffied compensator went straight in to it,rear lamp was cracked and airbag squib was broken).
I got everything the car needed (so i thought) and got it NCTed (Irish MOT).
After about two weeks i noticed the car doesn't start the way it should especially when hot but it wasn't severe.
It got worse,to the point that i drained battery today cranking the engine and it wouldn't start.It happened about an hour or so after i was trying to start the engine after it was sitting all night so relatively cold about 5℃ and it took about 3 sec of turning to start,after that i was trying several times and it was eventually starting every time untill as i said after about an hour later.
I'm bit chaotic so any questions that you think i should answer that might help i'm happy to do so.
Things done so far:
1)Fuel filter changed.
2)Camshaft sensor of another Rover 75 fitted but no improvement.
3)Battery,starter,alternator all ok.
4)Car will shoot a cloud of black smoke once reved to over 2000 rpms but nothing big.
Synergy fitted set on 5 with bosch maf pierburg waiting to be fitted as no torx atm.
I forgot to add that the engine stalled yesterday as i was accelerating but started back after first try.But i don't think it is good for automatic to just die.
I was offered remap for reasonable cost comparing to other options like hp diesel pump,injectors etc.
So called hot start remap like for vw and if it is not going to help i want be charged and i think it is very genuine.Now i'm tempted to get a proper remap for which i was quoted 200€ that is including printouts from rolling road before remap,with synergy fitted and after remap.
I know it is fair deal and my question here is what might be the problem.
I could upload a video while starting the engine if there is someone happy to help me.
My wife starts to hate me for the amount of time and money i spent on this car but and she shouldn't be stressing as we are expecting "another passenger" in November.
Excuse me any wrong spellings and errors.

Last edited by seth1982; 30th April 2016 at 21:35.. Reason: didn't finish writing first time
seth1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 00:58   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Does it start with easy start?

It is possible to plug the synergy in the MAF plug the wrong way round..

Try a leak back test...

You can get a remap done by post for about £110. ish
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 01:16   #3
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Any leaks from around the HP fuel pump at the front of the engine?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 07:38   #4
seth1982

MG ZT +

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Does it start with easy start?

It is possible to plug the synergy in the MAF plug the wrong way round..

Try a leak back test...

You can get a remap done by post for about £110. ish
Thank you James.uk
I haven't tried easy start yet,but have a can in the car and I'm palnning to check it later.
It starts cold within 2 sec. and then after it has reached working temperature it starts about same 1.6-2.2 sec. but if it seats for about 30 min. it takes much longer but starts eventually.
I guess synergy is pluged proper way as it does what it should and i have done about 400 miles with it and the problem was there before.
I'm considering an injectors test but really considering that remap as the guy said if it didn't help money back which i think is great.Test alone 50 € here then possible reconditioning of injectors and i would rather do it back home (Poland) or even buy a new one but not in this moment.
Once more thank you for replying and i will keep you updsted.
Old 1st May 2016, 07:50   #5
seth1982

MG ZT +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Any leaks from around the HP fuel pump at the front of the engine?
Hi Jakg,thanks for reply.
No visible leaks.
Car passed its test only on the 6th of last month,emission ok.
Old 1st May 2016, 13:22   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Injector leakback symptoms, and the Synergy will amplify these issues

Also the Pierburg MAF is designed for a Mercedes van, and doesn't have a inlet air temperature sensor, plus as a bonus side effect, it will overfuel massively at idle, and underfuel woefully at 3000 RPM, which is why it needs an amplifier in order that a somewhere near figure is attained for fueling

Start your fault finding with the Synergy removed altogether, then introduce it back to the car once it is running correctly..........if you must

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:19   #7
seth1982

MG ZT +

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Injector leakback symptoms, and the Synergy will amplify these issues

Also the Pierburg MAF is designed for a Mercedes van, and doesn't have a inlet air temperature sensor, plus as a bonus side effect, it will overfuel massively at idle, and underfuel woefully at 3000 RPM, which is why it needs an amplifier in order that a somewhere near figure is attained for fueling

Start your fault finding with the Synergy removed altogether, then introduce it back to the car once it is running correctly..........if you must

Brian
Hello again.
It was injector.No.3 leaked back badly ,i was shown test results and another two lose pressure so will need to get them done as well.
So far problem solved.
Thank you everyone for your help.