Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th October 2012, 17:32   #1
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Default Baxi Combi 105 HE problem... :(

I have the above boiler fitted.. It's about 3 years old now.

Recently it started to flash a warning light above a fan icon and wouldn't ignite. So I read the handbook, went online and looked at the download able PDF file, and finally PM'd a couple of people in our club for advice.

Then armed with all the info, I had a word with the lad next door as he works for British Gas..

He kindly popped round, messed with the controls a bit and agreed that the air pressure vale had packed up. But he didn't want to do the job unofficially, and i wont deal with B gas.. (long story).

So I went online and found a local heating engineer who agreed to come and fix it for £80.. Fine.. I thought..

But he came whilst I was out, and left a message with Jean to the effect that.. He found the water wasn't getting hot, (this fault was apparently a visible one) and didn't have the right part to fix it, so would call me later in the evening. Jean asked him if he had fixed the pressure valve, and he said no, but agreed they were two separate jobs, but didn't explain why he failed to replace the valve. Then he left....

So I waited for him to call... no call came.. So I called him.. Several times.. All I get is his answer phone.... Weired innit...

So the question is, has anyone got any idea what the heck he was talking about???

SOME HELPFULL HISTORY.. The hot water side has never worked very well from day one, it works OK if I put it on "constant" though..

As I have C.O.P.D. and must avoid all forms of dust.. I arranged for the boiler to be fitted whilst I was away on holiday, but on my return I found the place was in a real mess, there was a huge hole in the bathroom floor where all the pipes came up, and beneath it, in the kitchen, the false ceiling was leaking puddled water all over the TV in the corner..

Sooo.. I got the fitter back, and he told me he had been so busy he had gotten someone in to do the job... But agreed to sort it out, and with my help we sorted everything out and he paid for a new TV etc.. But.. I didn't want him back to fix the hot water problem! .... I just lived with it.. Untill now... .

Last edited by James.uk; 19th October 2012 at 17:39..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 18:23   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

James.

The fan that evacuates the burnt gases also operates a switch.

The switch operator is a disc shaped unit ( Usually ) with a central diaphragm.
One side goes to the switch the other side has a light vacuum pulled on it when the fan starts to run.
If the fan sticks for any reason and does not start working the boiler will not fire up. If you can hear the fan running then the problem is the switch itself. Very easy to replace.
From what you have said about the installers it sounds like they are not really up to the job.
It could even be the fan bearings are dry and need a tiny spot of oil.

Colvert.

PS. Hope that's clear. Will explain more if required.

PPS. Not two separate jobs !!!

PPPS. Water not getting hot cos the boiler wasn't switching on. ( Some plumber you had there. )

Last edited by COLVERT; 19th October 2012 at 18:27..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 18:31   #3
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

Are combi boilers any good

My mother had one fitted about 4 years ago and British Gas must be out 4 or 5 times a year if not more fitting a new part

My boiler is about 30 years old, not efficient I'm sure but costs me nothing in maintenance and is like a nuclear reactor the heat it pumps out. Put it on for about 30 mins in the morning and I have a tank full of hot water all day a couple of hours when I get home and e house is as warm as toast maybe it is efficient

When the gas man called to change the meter he said it looks like an antique, maybe something Brunel worked on but don't change it until it dies.

Last edited by Parker; 19th October 2012 at 18:35..
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 18:42   #4
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

James. Me again.

The vacuum switch usually is like two dinner plates stuck together and looks like a flying saucer.
One bolt to hold it in place. Two push on spade connectors and a small diameter rubber pipe.
The pipe runs up to the top chamber that the fan sits in.
The running fan pulls a vacuum in this pipe and switches the boiler on.

I have tested the action in the past by removing the existing pipe and fitting a small length of pipe in its place which I have sucked on.
If the fan wasn't working I would operate the switch myself for a few seconds to see if the boiler switched on. This will prove or disprove the switch.
It will also show that the fan was not doing the job it's designed to do.

Colvert.
Old 19th October 2012, 18:46   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Are combi boilers any good

My mother had one fitted about 4 years ago and British Gas must be out 4 or 5 times a year if not more fitting a new part

My boiler is about 30 years old, not efficient I'm sure but costs me nothing in maintenance and is like a nuclear reactor the heat it pumps out. Put it on for about 30 mins in the morning and I have a tank full of hot water all day a couple of hours when I get home and e house is as warm as toast maybe it is efficient

When the gas man called to change the meter he said it looks like an antique, maybe something Brunel worked on but don't change it until it dies.
A new boiler of a good make normally will give many years of trouble free heating.

It will also be quite a bit more efficient than the boiler you now have.

Having said that, some of those old beasts were certainly built to last.

Colvert.
Old 19th October 2012, 19:03   #6
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

I'm certainly not going to change it, it's like a faithful old friend

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 20:57   #7
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

the baxi 105 he is a,british,b very reliable james i have no idea what this numpty was talking about other than aps on the 105 he are very weak,the first sign of them failing is poor hot water temp or locking out but heating working normally this then follows with the fan light coming on and lockout to eventual full flame failure

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 21:17   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Sounds like you need to go see James for the day

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 21:22   #9
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Recently got my 105E (boiler not Ford Anglia) up & running again after advice from Dave & Mark
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 21:51   #10
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Sounds like you need to go see James for the day
i would if i was not so busy,doing 7 days at the moment and i have to find time to change the nsr abs sensor on the 75 identified by duncan as being duff at the last nano,mot is on monday talk about cutting it fine knowing my luck it wont come out the hub and its bearing out time

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote