Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd February 2020, 15:47   #10841
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Busy weekend, replaced a rear ABS sensor and the sticking wiper stalk on the manual car, and replaced a swollen rubber intercooler hose with a new silicone one on the auto. Both cars now in fine form.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 17:07   #10842
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default procrastinating

I still have no idea how to get front hub pinch bolts undone (completely rounded/rusted/locked solid) and therefore replacement shocks will remain in their boxes. Instead, I thought I would fit a boot release button. Rather than ruin existing chrome/plastic boot handle thing by inserting a a button in it I bought a damaged item off ebay (all clips/pokey out things missing). To cut a long and painfully frustrating story short - all Rover parts, regardless of base material/metallurgy will meld into one if exposed to enough rain/salt (Scottish people beware). Replacing broken clips/pokey out bits with Gripfill squirty adhesive (TM) works up to a point BUT avoid using pound shop craft knives to trim off the excess unless you want to give your kitchen table that authentic 'dressing station at the Somme' look.
Everything now works, although I have lost a hiding place for 'new' and 'essential' Rover parts purchased off ebay during moments of weakness (Previously I could secrete stuff in the car boot as my wife hadn't worked out how it opened - I foolishly showed her the new button release)
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:10   #10843
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Not quite with my ZT but for it, made a start with the monogram dashboard.

Got the dashboard rubbed down, gave a light coat of etch primer and a few coats of grey primer. Going to order the copperleaf paint in the week and see how it goes using spray cans. For only a few small pieces, hardly worth going to a paint shop.

It's a mk1 dash so has the vents with spots so will be fitting these, given them a clean up but the foam on the flaps has disintegrated so will either source some or swap the flaps when I take the ones out of my other dashboard.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:15   #10844
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Emptied my tools out of the ZT, and filled it to the brim with all manner of stuff, door cards, a couple of wings, two dozen IPK dial faces, a box of LSM, a box of diesel ECM, a couple of V6 bits, a pair of powerfolds with switch packs and looms, and a complete saloon Harmon Kardon setup and other stuff I no longer need or want, then drove to the tip.

On my return I have started to strip my shed out of the Marina hoard, the scrapman has just taken three A series engines, six steering racks, three propshafts, two type 65 Borg Warner gearboxes, and five brand new exhaust systems, along with two new fuel tanks, and a couple of new wings.

I bet the weigh in won't know how rare or indeed what these parts are worth, I'm not bothered, there will be two K series engines out there tomorrow, and a Torsen PG1 gearbox along with three R65U.

Next week I'm dragging the cars off the front, and down to the scrapyard, my wife deserves better, and I'm going to give it to her .

Brian

You cannot take this stuff to the grave, it doesn't make you feel better hoarding stuff, it doesn't matter how rare or valuable
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:30   #10845
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You cannot take this stuff to the grave, it doesn't make you feel better hoarding stuff, it doesn't matter how rare or valuable

Very true Bri - I will be having a good garage clear out in the next few weeks - need to free up space so I can actually use the garage to repair cars, not have it full of junk.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:51   #10846
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Very true Bri - I will be having a good garage clear out in the next few weeks - need to free up space so I can actually use the garage to repair cars, not have it full of junk.
I also need to do the same, I have a trike that is in many pieces that needs putting back on the road, the trouble is it's buried underneath bits of 75's
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:17   #10847
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaya View Post
Failed 3 speed fan (slow speed failed) replaced with 2 speed today
along with suspect themostat - In the hope of keeping the temps lower in traffic.

So old fan cut in at 96/97, car kept to about 92 in while cruising A roads, upto 107 in traffic where fan would kick in a cool down to 96-ish.

Now car runs over 99-109 while cruising at 60-70, drops to 96-98 while doing 60 or less. Up to 113 in traffic.

Oddly, temps appear to increase a few degrees when fan kicks in initially before slowly dropping...then it fluctuates up and down whether fan on or not - started to think the fan was running backwards, but seems ok...

Maybe some air in system? Hot air comes from vents on both sides.

Will be monitoring temps closely for next couple of weeks.
Snap fitted one today also & one tomorrow.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:26   #10848
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Emptied my tools out of the ZT, and filled it to the brim with all manner of stuff, door cards, a couple of wings, two dozen IPK dial faces, a box of LSM, a box of diesel ECM, a couple of V6 bits, a pair of powerfolds with switch packs and looms, and a complete saloon Harmon Kardon setup and other stuff I no longer need or want, then drove to the tip.

On my return I have started to strip my shed out of the Marina hoard, the scrapman has just taken three A series engines, six steering racks, three propshafts, two type 65 Borg Warner gearboxes, and five brand new exhaust systems, along with two new fuel tanks, and a couple of new wings.

I bet the weigh in won't know how rare or indeed what these parts are worth, I'm not bothered, there will be two K series engines out there tomorrow, and a Torsen PG1 gearbox along with three R65U.
Quote:
Next week I'm dragging the cars off the front, and down to the scrapyard, my wife deserves better, and I'm going to give it to her .

Brian

Hi Brian.
Sounds a bit more than a light spring clean, what's occurring ? hopefully you will still be around in the real world contact, I did a decent clean out last year when I built my new shed, and guess what its starting to get piled up again.

Radiators, intercoolers, condensers, all used with the mind set of I will use them one day but when? I think blokes have that mentality, that will be useful one day, then that day never seems to come well not always

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 28th February 2020 at 09:08.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:44   #10849
Mark Murphy
Regular poster

Rover 75, and Mg zt 1.8T

Fitted vcc manifold to my zt, makes a smoother idle.
Mark Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:54   #10850
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Murphy View Post
Fitted vcc manifold to my zt, makes a smoother idle.
could it have been the seal that was going wrong or some other air leak?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote