Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd February 2020, 03:10   #31
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Seems to me that these days there are primarily 2 types of owners of the '75 & ZT:
  • Enthusiasts who love & cherish their cars;
  • those with a more practical view who see them simply as good value day to day transport.

Mine is loved & cherished but also driven every day, and will continue to do so. For me the enjoyment is the driving of it.

Since I got it 3 years ago it is very noticeable how the numbers gave dropped around my area. The MG in particular is a very rare sight these days, in fact I haven't seen one for ages.

I posted a couple of weeks ago about the near miss I had when we were flooded and I nearly lost my Rover to floodwater. Our other car, was written off yesterday as we knew it would. We have been driving round garages looking for a replacement. Twice, I have been asked if I was selling my Rover by garage owners. One of them even asked me to keep his number and give him first refusal if the Rover ever goes up for sale.

Quite a compliment, I thought.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 06:26   #32
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde faithful View Post
Yes had her built to order in June 2002, had to wait for her, picked her up from Hartwell Charles Clark dealership West Bromwich. She had delivery miles only 14 miles, today shes on 321000 miles, and still uses no oil between services in daily hard service doing around 400 miles a week, week in week out no problem, love the darn thing to bits, i don't want showroom, but shes close to that... i want to drive it, and fear NO MILES where ever she goes and it does GO ANYWHERE, and believe this or not never broke down once and i mean not once on any journeys.

Shes the Longbridge /BMW diesel i say that because the Rover engineers did a basic engine and changed the turbos with none swirl values, all MG-ROVER engineers did that, where as the BMW 1 series keep getting blown turbos the Rover 75 ones go on and on.., mines still the factory fitted Diesel turbo from Longbridge factory

The car is amazing and in hard labour use.... soft spot for her shes seen all the kids grow up in her, the other cars have come and GONE the Rover 75 tourer has " STOOD THE TIME OF TIME" superb automobile.
Here, here, !! I'm owner No 2 of my diesel, I absolutely think it's the bees knees, superb car.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:16   #33
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

In all fairness, I don't see many 54 plate anything's

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:19   #34
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

I have the honour of owning Windrush Pearl Black Tourer, pampered to hell and back, he bought this direct from the factory through Swain and Jones in Farnham, had all the extras put into it cost £32000 back in 2004, still has only 35000 on the clock.
Beautiful car to drive so relaxing, treasured by all.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 07:49   #35
buchanan
Buchanan

Rover 75 connoisseur se ctdi Auto

I recently covered 871 miles in England from Birkenhead to Knottingley to grimsby to London and back to Knottingley, then back to Birkenhead, i saw one.
buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:18   #36
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Sadly its the same with any car which was once a common sight on our roads after they have been out of production for a decade or more, think Sierra, Cavalier, Peugeot 405, Citroen BX etc etc.
Best illustration of that point is the humble Mini, once a multiple fixture on every street in the country but when did you last see one on the road? Mine (1963 Morris Mini Minor) is in winter hibernation in the garage and will in all liklihood only do about 3 - 400 miles during the summer, not many left on the daily commute. Those that remain are in the most part enthusiast owned. They may be gone from our roads in any decent quantity but the best ones will survive forever as a tribute to those that designed and built them and the now long gone names that were part of our motoring heritage. A previous poster mentioned that the golden days of the age of motoring are now behind us and I truly believe he is correct. I cant find any enthusiasm for the electric future that we are being forced into.
The ropey uncared for cars will be thrown aside as they become uneconomical to repair, the cherished examples will continue to be loved and will remain and the 75 really is a fitting tribute to the brand that epitomises what the British car industry once was.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:18   #37
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I do about 8k a year in my 260 and I reckon I am lucky if I see one a week. I also drive for a living and even when I am in my van I rarely see one. Last Sunday I went to London for the day and I probably notice more in the 120 mile round trip than I have seen in a long time. I parked in the car park under Hyde Park and oddly there was a Rover 75 in there as well. quite dusty so might have been there a while.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 15:07   #38
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

Well from 5th March a certain Copperleaf MkI will be back off SORN and hopefully trundling around Herefordshire (avoiding the flooded bits) and will be to Cornwall for a few days, a trip to see friends in Tunbridge Wells, daughter in Chester, sister in Oxford, oh and trip to IKEA in Cardiff!
Still got to resolve a bit of sill rot though in-between. It's on around 130,000+ now.
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:06   #39
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Do you think that the 75 will be regarded as a more of a future classic than any other cars of it's era.
Without being biased because i too own and cherish one i think they will be a well sought after car for future car collecting enthusiasts.
As ford and the likes are still in business cars such as the old focus and mondeo will not be regarded as the last car the company had made, but with the rover 75 it will always be remembered as there last ever car and arguably there best to ever be made after a long list of what some would say not to great examples. Even though the 75 was a mass produced unit and was deemed in its hayday by the masses as "just another car" except for as enthusiasts, im sure it will very soon become a car that will become something of interest because of its timeless looks and it's interesting history of days gone by when we were a nation that could build are own cars.
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:39   #40
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
They are old, the newest ones are approaching 15 years now, they are not always necessarily loved or cherished, and can be tricky to source quality parts to maintain them, or otherwise.

Sometimes even when you have the equipment, tools and knowledge to repair them yourself, it does not always present itself as the best use of your time to do so.

I'll hang onto one 75 as a sunny day and show car, but the days of running multiple R40 are for me, are soon to be behind me.

This comes from a diehard fan of the brand, and an enthusiast.

Brian
Pretty much in the same place. spent loads of time last summer sorting mine out, but only a few weeks later had to take it off the road as it has a load more that needs doing. I will come at it again when the weather gets better, but its the running gear and suspension that after 15 years is getting pretty bad.