Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2020, 23:03   #1
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Unhappy Door dismantling woes

Hello folks,

Despite my 80+ years and sundry minor infirmities, I have taken my courage in both hands and commenced dismantling the driver's door with a view to restoring door locking/unlocking via the key. (Thread #302103 tells the story.) I'm not familiar with 'modern' cars, so I am obliged to rely on Haynes manual, despite the occasional adverse comments that appear here.

I have managed to remove the door card (ordering some red clips for the top outer corner) and the the inner plastic membrane. Both have been a struggle and some damage has occurred to the plastic. The next task was to remove the interior trim, which proceeded without too much trouble - until I reached the front end. Haynes says remove the plugs from the tweeter and the trap sensor. Fine, the tweeter succumbed - eventually, but I cannot identify a plug from the trap sensor, only a substantial dollop of rubbery mastic at the end of the white wires. Hence, I can't remove the trim piece, which I have left hanging precariously from the garage ceiling. Is there a plug, hidden in the mastic, or is it a figment of Haynes imagination? In the latter case I presume I will have to cut, and later rejoin, the wires.

Another element is bothering me. I hope, eventually, to release the clip which attaches the lock barrel to the handle mechanism. Is it captive, or should I obtain a spare in case it goes walkabout?

Thanks in anticipation of the usual unstinted guidance and help.

Derek.
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 07:59   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I cant answer your questions as I don't know the answers but for info.
You should have found roughly at the back in the middle of the door card two black plastic squares.
When you come to refit the door card, remove these plastic squares from the door and fit them to the door card, then fit the door card

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 10:01   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The pdf photo files in post #94 may help you:-
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=79190&page=10

Plus pics etc., here:-
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...t=91292&page=6

Last edited by roverbarmy; 9th February 2020 at 10:08..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 17:26   #4
Francophile
Avid contributor

I am making some minor progress, insofar as I have answered my first question. The plug for the gap sensor was taped to the loom and invisible to casual view. What a pig to open, though. With the aid of a magnifying glass I could see the latch, but I really need a third hand: magnifying glass, torch - and probe! Anyway it succumbed eventually. After some heart stopping moments, I have also succeeded in removing the glass.

My next problem lies on page 11-13, item 17 in Haynes. Removal of the door lock button rod was relatively easy. It would have been easier with a third hand! However, I can't work out how to release the link rod for the exterior handle. In the absence of an assistant, the handle is wedged open with a piece of wood . The bottom end of the rod is threaded and the top end disappears into the mechanicals of the lock mechanism. Can one of the experts give me a simple explanation, please, on how to remove that rod, and the potential pitfalls.

Thanks in anticipation of further assistance,

Derek.

Last edited by Francophile; 10th February 2020 at 17:28.. Reason: separation of paragraphs
Old 10th February 2020, 18:51   #5
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francophile View Post
I am making some minor progress, insofar as I have answered my first question. The plug for the gap sensor was taped to the loom and invisible to casual view. What a pig to open, though. With the aid of a magnifying glass I could see the latch, but I really need a third hand: magnifying glass, torch - and probe! Anyway it succumbed eventually. After some heart stopping moments, I have also succeeded in removing the glass.

My next problem lies on page 11-13, item 17 in Haynes. Removal of the door lock button rod was relatively easy. It would have been easier with a third hand! However, I can't work out how to release the link rod for the exterior handle. In the absence of an assistant, the handle is wedged open with a piece of wood . The bottom end of the rod is threaded and the top end disappears into the mechanicals of the lock mechanism. Can one of the experts give me a simple explanation, please, on how to remove that rod, and the potential pitfalls.

Derek.
Hi there , how I understand you want remove rod from door handle (exterior) so at the top you will see plastic clip usually white ( but can be any other colour) bottom of that clip need pull out of the rod and then push the rod out of clip https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...6&d=1560602699
try this link
Old 10th February 2020, 18:53   #6
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:

Derek.
Hi there , how I understand you want remove rod from door handle (exterior) so at the top you will see plastic clip usually white ( but can be any other colour) bottom of that clip need pull out of the rod and then push the rod out of clip https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...6&d=1560602699
try this link
that after https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...7&d=1560602747
Old 10th February 2020, 19:04   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZZ View Post
try this link
that after https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...7&d=1560602747
Do not remove the rod from the door handle end!!

This can give you major problems if the clip detaches itself. Unclip the white plastic clip at the bottom of the picture and flick the rod out from there leaving it attached to the outside handle.

I have changed a few of these and this is by far the easiest way.
Old 10th February 2020, 19:16   #8
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

It is another way to do and i agree cose it make job easy , so do how his said
Old 11th February 2020, 12:29   #9
Francophile
Avid contributor

Thank you, Trikey, for your warning and correction.

You said
Quote:
Unclip the white plastic clip at the bottom of the picture and flick the rod out from there leaving it attached to the outside handle.
which, I'm afraid, prompts two more questions. First of all, is the penetration of the rod in the clip critical? I guess yes, due to the threading, so I will endeavour to mark the rod. Because of its inaccessibility, I can't see how the clip is attached to the metal arm, so that it slides. Some sort of bayonet, perhaps. So, my second question is, how does one undo the clip? Brute force (and risk breaking it), or is there a subtle way?

Apologies for more questions and thanks for your patience,

Derek.
Old 11th February 2020, 13:34   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Thank you, Trikey, for your warning and correction.

Quote:
You said which, I'm afraid, prompts two more questions. First of all, is the penetration of the rod in the clip critical? I guess yes, due to the threading, so I will endeavour to mark the rod. Because of its inaccessibility, I can't see how the clip is attached to the metal arm, so that it slides. Some sort of bayonet, perhaps. So, my second question is, how does one undo the clip? Brute force (and risk breaking it), or is there a subtle way?

Apologies for more questions and thanks for your patience,

Derek.
Hi Derek.
please don't apologise for asking questions that is how we all learn, and I 100% imagine we all will share our knowledge if we know how to do certain things, a few photo below which may help ? cheers Arctic

You can get your finger in the two prongs and it will release the white clip/ open it or it should

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote