Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th February 2020, 16:11   #11
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Its loose in the mounting bracket
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 16:19   #12
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Its loose in the mounting bracket
Yes it is! That is not the drop links but the mounting of them. They must clamp up ridged, the whole lot is moving around on that video.

Looks like you have run out of thread, have you missed out some washers or spacers under that nut?

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 8th February 2020 at 16:27..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 16:46   #13
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks ! Well I didn't install myself I had some garage put it on I went there today and told them that it is loose and they told it isn't there is no way and that perhaps the hole on the strut tower is eaten away which I highly doubt but in all honesty this droplink doesn't look as good as the other one. There are no washers or spacers on the other side and non came with the droplink

Last edited by thanos.m; 8th February 2020 at 16:57..
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2020, 19:03   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

[COLOR="Blue"]As far as I know, there are no washers that fit on the underside of the top of the droplinks, and the nut for the top and bottom are lock nots. When/if you fit them, cut about a quarter of an inch off the top of the thread on the top fitment. You can then get a ring spanner on the nut to tighten it up properly./COLOR]
Old 9th February 2020, 05:48   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

If no washers or spacers should go there I could only assume they are rubbish drop links. From that video, it looks like the nut has run out of treads and has gone tight without actually nipping up on the anti roll bar. There also seems to be way too much tread above the nut, that's why I asked about any washers or spacers.
A washer would take up some of that space and a least make those drop links usable, but it would be a bit of a bodge job. Just thinking about it though, if you have to bodge it to make them work, they are probably poor quality items anyway and won't last two minutes.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 11:34   #16
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Currently overhauling my suspension and have just done my drop links. As the drop links were on the car when I bought it and never gave me any issues in the the last 4 years I decided to overhaul them rather than replace.

When I stripped them down the grease in the ball was hard and very little around so I suspect failure was imminent.

Have a look at my thread and you can see

The ball joints
The thread cut off
The fitting of the links to the strut.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...216283&page=32

The cheap Chinese NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- is well worth avoiding and I think even companies like Delph use these manufacturers as well. If mine do go I will probably try Matt's but I'm hoping not too after the work just done

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 12:42   #17
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Had a good look at it yesterday and it is obviously the case of a very badly designed part it does indeed have run out of thread without being tight enough and compairing it to the original ones that are still on my old 75 you can really see the design is significantly off also the thread it ridiculously long on this one barely clearing the spring so I think my way to go about it is get something in there tomorrow so I can at least use the car and order some of the ones recommend in here and see how these will do
Old 9th February 2020, 12:59   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
Had a good look at it yesterday and it is obviously the case of a very badly designed part it does indeed have run out of thread without being tight enough and compairing it to the original ones that are still on my old 75 you can really see the design is significantly off also the thread it ridiculously long on this one barely clearing the spring so I think my way to go about it is get something in there tomorrow so I can at least use the car and order some of the ones recommend in here and see how these will do
Hi Thanos.
Did the garage supply & fit the drop links for you, if so they must put them right for you, under the fit for purpose product act, just say you would like them double checked and put right, if not you will go to trading standards.

If you supplied the product then get them sent back for a refund, or notify the seller of the problem.

They are certainly are not fitted right, maybe because of the product and not the workmanship? but whom ever fitted them must of noticed the slack in the joint/mating surface

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2020, 15:13   #19
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Yeah I see weirdly enough it did not knock in first 3 days, I supplied the part and they fit it. If something is out of my depth I use a reputable mgr expert in the area but this time the old droplink got really bad really fast and I wanted to the car fixed asap because it is getting featured on YouTube in a couple of days so I used a local garage of which the owner has a rover 75 himself so I thought what could go wrong but yeah I'll get them to sort it out tomorrow even if it's a temporary fix and I'll have good droplink put in later. But it seems to be a recurring theme I had drolink issues with both 75s I've had

Last edited by thanos.m; 9th February 2020 at 15:22..
Old 9th February 2020, 19:36   #20
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

They nearly all seem to be bobar these days. Mine have warn out yet again.
I've ordered Borg & Beck ones this time, hopefully they'll last, oh, and I'll be fitting them myself this time!
I'm convinced garages fitting them with a windy-gun ruins them
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote