Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th January 2020, 21:27   #31
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I'd be keen to know the history of the car, don't know if previous owners are still listed on the log book - but you have to wonder whether they chopped it in for P/X knowing it's faults and the dealer's realised he's got a dog and tried to shift it on? He's not going to bother finding and rectifying the leak(s), and then stripping out and replacing all the interior to solve the wet carpet - that would never dry. What other reason would there be for the carpet to have been cut out.

Run the reg number through the on-line MOT checker on the DVLA website - this will give you the MOT history for the car, this is also a good clue as to what sort of owner it has had.
reg is NX54XAK. last MOT was few months back and a few service invoices, one from March last year. dealer said logbook was lost.
Yannage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 22:14   #32
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

MOT history not the worst I've seen, sounds like common handbrake adjuster issues going by some of the advisories - a modified one can be fitted with the carpet removed. Corroded brake pipes are fairly common on these cars.

Lost log book also sounds a bit sus as the registered keeper will still be the previous owner, although it may be that dealers do not always apply for log books - whether they need to?

Hope you get it sorted on way or another.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 09:06   #33
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Nothing insurmountable, and when you buy a fifteen year old car, irrespective of that being a dealer or privately, you need to go in with your eyes open.

If there was evidence of water ingress prior to sale, this should have been a bargaining chip, not something to expect your average bombsite car dealer to address satisfactorily, generally speaking cars of this ilk are most likely to have been bought at auction for buttons for a quick turnaround.

I don't think you paid over the odds for a low mileage diesel, so my advice is to source a new carpet, fix the sunroof drains, and all of the other leaks that will be evident once the main one is sorted out, and enjoy the car

The other option is to attempt to get a refund, and buy something completely different.

The choice is entirely yours, but I would simply get on with sorting it out, these are brilliant cars in bangernomic terms

Have fun

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 13:37   #34
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Smile

What he said.

1) Get an estimate from the local guru (BigRuss) to fix the leaks. Get the car T4'd for other issues, such as failed airbag sensors.
Threaten to call in Trading Standards department, and trade bodies.
Get an agreement from the seller to cough up. He'll fold, he doesn't want the car back as is.
Get the leaks sorted, they cost peanuts. The issues are well known.
Dehumidifier for a few days. Once dry, the mould will NOT return.
Doctor Beckman's carpet cleaner does an amazing job with carpets.

And don't get too depressed by the immediate flooding. Once gone, what problems do you actually have ?

Enjoy the car.

OR:

2) Reject the goods. Use a report from the Guru (& your video) to support your case.

Personally, I'd try for #1.

These cars are brilliant in bangernomic terms. And you've got a wealth of knowledge on your side in this forum.

Last edited by MarkS; 28th January 2020 at 13:56..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2020, 21:06   #35
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

You have my sympathy what you found must be sickening but if rust has not taken holed and the car is good the water issue can be sorted with time.
Replacing the carpet will take time but you may get lucky and source one from here.

Have you lost confidence in the car, would you prefer to be rid of it?

certainly take on the dealer and speak with credit card company. I have a feeling they can withhold or recall payment to the dealer. Make sure you abide by the law and give the dealer the legal options for them to consider or you could lose out

all the best

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 11:02   #36
Yannage
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
What he said.

1) Get an estimate from the local guru (BigRuss) to fix the leaks. Get the car T4'd for other issues, such as failed airbag sensors.
Threaten to call in Trading Standards department, and trade bodies.
Get an agreement from the seller to cough up. He'll fold, he doesn't want the car back as is.
Get the leaks sorted, they cost peanuts. The issues are well known.
Dehumidifier for a few days. Once dry, the mould will NOT return.
Doctor Beckman's carpet cleaner does an amazing job with carpets.

And don't get too depressed by the immediate flooding. Once gone, what problems do you actually have ?

Enjoy the car.

OR:

2) Reject the goods. Use a report from the Guru (& your video) to support your case.

Personally, I'd try for #1.

These cars are brilliant in bangernomic terms. And you've got a wealth of knowledge on your side in this forum.

Option 1 is underway I will be seeing Russ next week to sort out the leaks and I am trying to source a dry (cream!) carpet so that we can replace ours. I've already got dehumidifier bags in there and will be demoulding over the weekend. I absolutely love the car itself so I'm not looking to give it back.

As for the dealer, I sent him several emails with many videos showing the problems asking for him to fund the repairs or we would give the car back. He ignored these. I then sent him a whatsapp asking him to read the emails to which he replied "I have sent this to our complaints department"... there's no way he has a complaints department, he's just a small one man band. I asked how long the process would take and after chasing he's told me 14 days for a reply (sounds absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, he's the sole named director and the one who sold us the car). He's likely just stalling for time till the 30 days expires.

He has asked for us to leave the car with him for 2 days for them to check but I honestly have no trust in him to do that.

In terms of pursuing him for the costs, do I need to get some kind of report from an actual garage or will some kind of invoice from Russ do? Also, will my claim be denied if I don't give him the chance to fix it himself?

If it comes to it I won't begrudge spending a few hundred quid for this car in any case. I'd rather it was done properly.
Yannage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 11:31   #37
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannage View Post
Option 1 is underway I will be seeing Russ next week to sort out the leaks and I am trying to source a dry (cream!) carpet so that we can replace ours. I've already got dehumidifier bags in there and will be demoulding over the weekend. I absolutely love the car itself so I'm not looking to give it back.

As for the dealer, I sent him several emails with many videos showing the problems asking for him to fund the repairs or we would give the car back. He ignored these. I then sent him a whatsapp asking him to read the emails to which he replied "I have sent this to our complaints department"... there's no way he has a complaints department, he's just a small one man band. I asked how long the process would take and after chasing he's told me 14 days for a reply (sounds absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, he's the sole named director and the one who sold us the car). He's likely just stalling for time till the 30 days expires.

He has asked for us to leave the car with him for 2 days for them to check but I honestly have no trust in him to do that.

In terms of pursuing him for the costs, do I need to get some kind of report from an actual garage or will some kind of invoice from Russ do? Also, will my claim be denied if I don't give him the chance to fix it himself?

If it comes to it I won't begrudge spending a few hundred quid for this car in any case. I'd rather it was done properly.

I suggest that you write to the dealer again and tell him, in light of all the problems with the car and his attitude, you do not trust him to assess and fix the car properly.
You will need two documents from Big Russ - one an assessment of all the faults, with a quote to fix - 0ne an actual receipt for the work. Point out to the dealer that, in the event of non payment, you will take the matter to small claims court.
Big Russ is an acknowledged expert on these cars and his docs will stand up.

Good luck
Geoff
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 12:10   #38
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannage View Post

The dealer certainly sounds like an Arthur Daley type... I would certainly be looking at trading standards as well.

I would certainly be expected a large chunk off the purchase price. The leak(s) are probably the easier bits to sort the rest is down to your time available.

Changing a carpet is not a bad job to do having done mine following guidance on here, just lots of bits to unbolt - I allowed myself a weekend, but that was mainly due to working outside so it was short days and not great weather, otherwise cutting back on cups of tea you could probably do it in a day - do the sums for garage rates!

If you get a chance as well, try and get an early carpet from a Mk1 as these are much better quality (I changed mine to a Mk1 whilst I had it out).
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 12:52   #39
operamagorum
Loves to post

BMW 330i Touring

Re carper
Check out Facebook Marketplace - type in rover 75 parts
here's an example
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9272724811035/
operamagorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2020, 22:09   #40
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

I have a carpet unfortunately not in cream it is the grey one, but it is yours foc if you need it I'm not to far away in Halifax.
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote