Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd January 2020, 18:03   #1
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Red exhaust rubbers?

Has anyone used these instead of these on a saloon's back box support prongs?

I've put two new black MGR ones on and I need to get them off again - I'll probably end up having to to cut them off. I've already got a new pair of red MGR ones so I'm wondering whether to risk using them to support the back box. Problem is: the black MGR ones are virtually bomb-proof and the red MGR ones aren't.

Pic: Left - used red WCS105390 / Centre - new black WCS100212 / Right - new black 3rd party

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:53   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

They will stretch as they are not designed to carry the weight of a silencer, and the box will flap around all over the place, so the answer is no you can't successfully use them

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:16   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
They will stretch as they are not designed to carry the weight of a silencer, and the box will flap around all over the place, so the answer is no you can't successfully use them

Brian

The original black ones are built like a brick wotsit for a good reason
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:58   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Simon What is wrong with the black ones? I left mine on when I replaced the back box recently rubber grease used and the hanger fitted back on easy.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 12:46   #5
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post

The original black ones are built like a brick wotsit for a good reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Simon What is wrong with the black ones? I left mine on when I replaced the back box recently rubber grease used and the hanger fitted back on easy.

The problem I've got is the back box I put on earlier (Plan A) has had to be taken off.

Plan A - abandoned!
  • Catalytic converter: factory original (rest of factory system cut off)
  • Centre section: Klarius RR325Q
  • Front hanger rubbers: 2 new red WCS105390
  • Rear silencer: Bosal 278-967
  • Rear silencer mounting: Bosal oval clamp bracket (can be moved fore & aft) (similar to the one in Artic's pic above)
  • Rear hanger rubbers: 2 new black WCS100212
This system clears the rear ARB but the centre section doesn't line up with the tunnel (it's pulled too far over to the left) and the joint between the centre and rear pipes doesn't seal (the two pieces are slightly out of alignment).

Plan B - current!
  • Rear silencer: Klarius RR323V
  • Rear silencer mounting: 2 fixed hangers
Very good joint between rear silencer and centre section (which does line up with the tunnel) but the rear silencer pipe hits the ARB. The solution would be to lower the rear silencer slightly but I can't do that because the fixed hangers on car and silencer become too far apart vertically to go through the two pairs of holes in the black rubbers. An elongated WCS100212 would be the answer, hence my original question about using red rubbers on the back (a silly idea to start with).

This is the RR323V:

Last edited by Blink; 24th January 2020 at 13:24..
Old 24th January 2020, 13:15   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
The problem I've got is the back box I put on earlier (Plan A) has had to be taken off.

Plan A - abandoned!
  • Rear silencer: Bosal 278-967
  • Rear silencer mounting: Bosal oval clamp bracket (can be moved fore & aft) (similar to the one in Artic's pic above)
This system clears the rear ARB but the centre section doesn't line up with the tunnel (it's pulled too far over to the left) and the joint between the centre and rear pipes doesn't seal (the two pieces are slightly out of alignment).

Plan B - current!
  • Rear silencer: Klarius RR323V
  • Rear silencer mounting: 2 fixed hangers
Very good joint between rear silencer and centre section (which does line up with the tunnel) but the rear silencer pipe hits the ARB. The solution would be to lower the rear silencer slightly but I can't do that because the fixed hangers on car and silencer become too far apart vertically to go through the two pairs of holes in the black rubbers. An elongated WCS100212 would be the answer, hence my original question about using red rubbers on the back (a silly idea to start with).

Quote:
This is the RR323V:

HI Simon.
Could you not heat up the hanger on the back box & move the bend on the hanger, ie straighten it up but then bring the bend forward a bit so the back box would hang lower thus moving it away from the ARB ?

ad altiora tendo.

Old 24th January 2020, 13:48   #7
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

This problem may be due to the connecting pipe from the front of the Klarius box being welded on at the wrong angle. I had this issue with a ZT version (i.e. straight tail pipes instead of downturned ones and larger bore pipe) of that same Klarius box last year. It was bought to connect to a brand new MGR NOS centre pipe I'd managed to source from an MG dealer (who'd had it in stock since 2005!) so I knew that the centre pipe was absolutely correctly positioned. My garage struggled but could not get the Klarius pipe to line up with the centre pipe and eventually worked out that it wasn't positioned correctly where it joined on to the box. I got a full refund from Euro Car Parts, and my garage managed to source a similar one that did fit OK.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2020, 14:13   #8
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Simon.
Could you not heat up the hanger on the back box & move the bend on the hanger, ie straighten it up but then bring the bend forward a bit so the back box would hang lower thus moving it away from the ARB ?
You mean straighten existing bend A and re-bend the hanger at (say) point B?

NB. Just to illustrate the problem here's a pic of the closest point between the RR323V pipe and the ARB. This is with the back box lowered enough to allow a gap of about 15mm (I can just about get my index finger through).

Pic taken with camera beneath the middle of the spare wheel well looking forward to the left upper arm.

Old 24th January 2020, 14:24   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
This problem may be due to the connecting pipe from the front of the Klarius box being welded on at the wrong angle. I had this issue with a ZT version (i.e. straight tail pipes instead of downturned ones and larger bore pipe) of that same Klarius box last year. It was bought to connect to a brand new MGR NOS centre pipe I'd managed to source from an MG dealer (who'd had it in stock since 2005!) so I knew that the centre pipe was absolutely correctly positioned. My garage struggled but could not get the Klarius pipe to line up with the centre pipe and eventually worked out that it wasn't positioned correctly where it joined on to the box. I got a full refund from Euro Car Parts, and my garage managed to source a similar one that did fit OK.
Hmm. I'm not sure you had the same problem. You were trying to line up a Klarius part with an MGR part and the angles might not have matched.

On mine both parts are Klarius and the angle of the RR323V 's entry pipe matches the angle of the RR325Q's exit pipe - they line up together perfectly and the centre section is still in line with the tunnel.

I think the problem could be that Klarius used a car without a rear ARB as the model - so the hanger length is too short** for cars with a rear ARB.

(** Or the bend is too low down the rod.)

Last edited by Blink; 24th January 2020 at 14:34..
Old 24th January 2020, 14:42   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
You mean straighten existing bend A and re-bend the hanger at (say) point B?

NB. Just to illustrate the problem here's a pic of the closest point between the RR323V pipe and the ARB. This is with the back box lowered enough to allow a gap of about 15mm (I can just about get my index finger through).

Pic taken with camera beneath the middle of the spare wheel well looking forward to the left upper arm.

Hi Simon
Yes that was what I was thinking it could work for you, but also make sure as above it is lined up correctly, mine was touching a little until I twisted the back box a little then clamped it tight.

ad altiora tendo.