Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd September 2017, 14:51   #51
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI John.
If you look closely you will there is a section in the thread of the filter cap for an hook screwdriver to help remove the O-ring pictures below cheers Arctic
As ever Steve Thanks for the Pics,It makes sense now you have pointed it out.Pity the main dealer didnt know about it..

While you are on,,Can ATF be used in the Power Steering to top it up ??

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:02   #52
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
As ever Steve Thanks for the Pics,It makes sense now you have pointed it out.Pity the main dealer didnt know about it..

Quote:
Hi John
In some cases, but not in all cases, I would not use it on our cars use power steering fluid, use any fluid Dexron III spec

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:32   #53
c-j2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
I always use a torque wrench set to the correct torque as the cap is plastic. Over tightening will give you problems next time you need to change the filter
Torque settings are given for a reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have a torque wrench, have changed the filter a number of times over the years, but no I never bother to use the torque wrench for this. I do it by feel, keeping in mind this is plastic and seals against an O ring. It needs to be tight, but not massively tight.
Guys,
Thanks both for sharing experiences on this. It would be interesting to know what the majority do.
c-j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:33   #54
c-j2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

Rule of thumb if no torque is available, tighten down slowly then a little nip, if you over tighten it will squash the filter.
cheers Arctic,
makes sense as a compromise
c-j2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:01   #55
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post

Some hydraulic seals do not get along with ATF, I doubt if it would affect most motorcar systems though.
Mixing the two is however not a good idea at all.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 13:33   #56
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

It's on the list for refurbishment

ad altiora tendo.

Old 10th January 2021, 23:11   #57
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Evening Steve. Me again, cap in hand as I am very much at the bottom of the learning curve regards the diesel.

I have undertaken the service items I'm aware of on the latest project.

PCV filter, air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter change, intercooler rings and fan resistor.

I purchased BOSCH service items, but the filter kit didn't appear to be the correct kit when changing.

Having read this post, I am happy now that I couldn't fit the small copper washer. My concern is that there was only one large O ring for the filter housing which I changed. I can only recall the existing medium seal being present on the bottom of the filter housing, not the small one.

When finished, I started the car and the oil light went out instantly. Whilst I was initially relieved, I'm now concerned.

Do you know what size and type of o ring I need for the bottom of the filter housing, and will it be possible to remove the filter with a full compliment of oil, or will it need draining again?

Thanks in advance for your help again.

Last edited by Typhoon190; 10th January 2021 at 23:19..
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2021, 23:40   #58
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Evening Steve. Me again, cap in hand as I am very much at the bottom of the learning curve regards the diesel.

I have undertaken the service items I'm aware of on the latest project.

PCV filter, air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter change, intercooler rings and fan resistor.

I purchased BOSCH service items, but the filter kit didn't appear to be the correct kit when changing.

Quote:
Having read this post, I am happy now that I couldn't fit the small copper washer. My concern is that there was only one large O ring for the filter housing which I changed. I can only recall the existing medium seal being present on the bottom of the filter housing, not the small one.
When finished, I started the car and the oil light went out instantly. Whilst I was initially relieved, I'm now concerned.

Quote:
Do you know what size and type of o ring I need for the bottom of the filter housing, and will it be possible to remove the filter with a full compliment of oil, or will it need draining again?

Thanks in advance for your help again.
Hi Ben.
I don't know the size of hand but can check in the morning for you, i have a few spare so PM your address and i will drop a couple on the post for you FOC, you cannot remove the without making a mess if the oil as not been drained at least by about a litre or two.

If the car is left for a day or so and you remove the cap, you may get a little spillage so cover up the alternator and put some extra rags round the pot, i would not be to concerned though as i have seen the caps with both the lower O-rings missing when i have serviced members & local owners cars, i just added them myself.

Original O-rings are green

99% of the oil filters come with only the large O-ring & a small copper ring which is not for our cars why they add them i don't know

Stick rags around the pot like here below, when you remove the cap oil may leak.

If the filter tries to cone out with the cap hold it down with a flat blade screwdriver so just the cap is removed.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 10th January 2021, 23:51   #59
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

That's great Steve. Thanks for the prompt response. Really appreciated.

The Bosch filter I bought didn't have the rubber top hat seals either end, but looking through your how to, there seem to be variations in the filters available. Just hoping it works as it is supposed to. Perhaps the listing is for the BMW M47 and has just been copied for the M47R?

I took care to protect the alternator from contamination following your post here. I may wait until the next change is due to add the missing o ring if it isn't likely to affect the performance.

May main concern was that I was expecting the oil light to take a bit of time to go out while the system settled, but it went out straight away. Hopefully this is a good thing!
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2021, 20:09   #60
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Surely if that were the case we would never need to change an oil filter - ever, there is a reason Royal Mail always fit an extra oil filter to their diesel trucks, it keeps the oil clean and prevents long term problems, it was a practice I adopted when running my wagons also, I would not take a chance on letting a filter get clogged, twice as often is always better than twice as long.
When I drain oil from a diesel I still want to see a glimmer of gold colour and not just jet black, this works for me.
If it has worked for you then its great, just not for me.

Still a perfect how to for anyone.
Actually I didn't say not change it I simply remarked on what happens in a filter as it ages.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote